Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Newbie Introduction

Information 
Hi! Another newbie for Xonotic Forums here Tongue Anyways, I've been playing Xonotic and Nexuiz for sometime now and had recently broken my PC so I have to resort to playing using my mum's laptop.

Thing is, I keep on getting this dialogue box that says "DarkPlaces Game Engine has stopped working" whilst using my mum's Vista laptop... I've already googled it to no avail so I decided to make an account here Idea.

I hope other members will be nice to me and help me with more game-related problems that I will most likely run into in the future and in turn I'll act as non-n00by as I could Big Grin That's my intro for yous...

Regards, Schicko (AKA CheZZy in other some other games)
"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity." -- Voltaire

Welcome to Xonotic! Big Grin
Sorry to hear about your desktop. Which version of Xonotic are you using? Could you provide more details?

When do you get this message? Can you even play the game or does it (I assume it does) crash after starting it?
Maybe the laptop is too weak for Xonotic.

IRC (QuakeNet): #xonotic , #xonotic.pickup

and Welcome!

I used Xonotic 0.5.0 on a Toshiba L350D-12M with an Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 1.90 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS being Vista Home Premium SP1. I get the message about five minutes after going into a match. Oh, and all the in-game settings were set at bare minimum... The only major physical problem that I can see about the PC is its screen which has some dead pixels near the bottom left side... I hoped that helped? Confused

EDIT - Here is an image of the Xonotic Window and the dialogue box that comes up: http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4910/errorpq.jpg
Here are the in-game effects and video settings, respectively: http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/6077/effectsw.jpg and http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/774/videouf.jpg
"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity." -- Voltaire

Hmmm. How about updating the drivers? The Radeon X1250 isn't a very good card, but it should be able to run Xonotic at low. (that said, maybe you should try damn small Xonotic?). The problem might be Vista, though. Windows 7 is much more reliable.

I run Xonotic vista and got no problems. Well, Vista got problems ofc, but Xon doesn't Tongue

And my computer even is like 5 years old but I got no idea what the specs are Tongue

Windows' error messages are very unhelpful... Can you try running xonotic from the command prompt and show us what the last few lines in the command window look like after a crash?

(02-15-2012, 06:17 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Windows' error messages are very unhelpful... Can you try running xonotic from the command prompt and show us what the last few lines in the command window look like after a crash?

Sorry about the late reply, me and my family went to London for a while :/

Anyways, back to reality; I don't know what you meant by "running xonotic from the command prompt". When I do what I think you mean, nothing significant displays on CMD except the actual command that I typed in to open xonotic. Can you please clarify on what you'd like me to do?

(02-15-2012, 03:20 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Hmmm. How about updating the drivers? The Radeon X1250 isn't a very good card, but it should be able to run Xonotic at low. (that said, maybe you should try damn small Xonotic?). The problem might be Vista, though. Windows 7 is much more reliable.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try this as a "last resort" solution coz my mum is gonna kill me if something dodgy happens after, so yeah...

EDIT: I think I found some other glitch or something... In the Afterslime map, the game crashes almost instantly everytime I go to the ledge where the Electro spawns...

EDIT 2: Wierd, I've only just noticed, the crash actually only happens when playing on certain maps. The ones I've encountered them on are Afterslime (in that ledge bit) and in Stormkeep (it crashes just after it loads). However, it doesn't happen on other maps however long I play, like Modern West Town (an unofficial map one with vehicles).

What I meant is run cmd.exe, use cd to get into the xonotic directory, and launch xonotic.exe from there. Does it really show nothing at all in the cmd window?

Perhaps you could try to log into a file then. In the xonotic console (shift-escape from the menu), type these two commands:
developer 1
log_file crashlog.txt
This will write the log in crashlog.txt, located in your personal xonotic data folder (that's in My Documents\My Games\Xonotic, or perhaps someplace else in your user directory (where application data and the like are stored). Do a search for a directory called Xonotic. Make the game crash then look for that file and upload it to pastebin.com

You can disable logging with log_file ""

Sorry, I just had lunch... Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/M46FzG1E

There's nothing in there... Test the autobuild: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1863
If that still fails, the only thing we can do to figure it out is to get a debugger running, but that's a tedious task if you've never done such things before.

Welcome!

Kingshot, you don't read threads, do you? Tongue

hes new

t

:^

(02-19-2012, 09:40 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: There's nothing in there... Test the autobuild: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1863
If that still fails, the only thing we can do to figure it out is to get a debugger running, but that's a tedious task if you've never done such things before.

Thanks, seemed to have done the trick... It still does it after prolonged gaming time (about after 2 hours or so), but I can live with that, as long as I can actually finish the game then it's cool.

However, I have to have everything at minimum (no textures, etc.). I guess my mum just needs to buy a newer machine Tongue

Thanks for welcoming me in everyone and Mr. Bougo for helping me out. One last question though... Wazzup with the ":^"'s and the "T"'s that I keep on seeing? I'm guessing it's something to do with tZork or something? :/

chooksta just talks like that ... its his style.... just like how I abuse the ...

Schicko, do you have any similar problems with other games or resource-intensive applications?

Move this thread to Help forum maybe? This is the Hi I'm New department after all.

So... Welcome Schicko Smile
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I guess it's fine here. Doesn't matter that much.

(02-21-2012, 04:54 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Schicko, do you have any similar problems with other games or resource-intensive applications?

No, Warcraft ROC with TFT runs just fine on it...

That's funny... The proper way to go forward in this troubleshooting would be to use a debug version inside a debugger. As long as it plays alright for you, don't bother. It takes some technical shenanigans to set this thing up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction rudzik8 1 759 02-20-2023, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NoobKilla
Question An introduction... SOP3t 3 2,528 03-25-2017, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  Hello from FreeBSDguy (newbie) FreeBSDGuy 7 5,143 12-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Julius
  just another newbie doesn't know what the h i'm doin..... earwax 5 4,484 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Last Post: bitbomb
  My Introduction Odinvader 7 5,361 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Last Post: [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC]
Thumbs Up yet another newbie SodaCant 8 6,370 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC]
  Another (short) introduction monad 7 8,083 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  Looking forward to xonotic release meanwhile newbie Nexuiz problem satipera 5 6,030 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m