Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] push force on a hit

A feature which i didn't see being discussed anywhere (sorry if i missed it) is the lowering of the push force on your opponent when you hit him.

Obvisouly, this has been lowered significantly as compared to nexuiz.
At nexuiz, this was ridiculously high, clearly.
At xonotic, this parameter modification has a huge consequence on the gameplay: this makes the game an endless spammy combo contest.

The reason is simple: you have an opponent in front of you, at close/medium range. You shot 10 times at him with RL, mortar, tuba, etc. and the opponent stays in front of you.
Punching ball effect guaranteed.
Just a (brilliant) illustration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDMbld3fmE
At nexuiz, you shot lets say 1 rocket, your opponent flew away and it was much more difficult, long and exciting to finish him off.

I'm far to be against combos. It's delightful and brings a real identity to xonotic. I just feel that, currently, any close/medium range battle requires to shot 10 times in a row at 2 Hz if you want to stay alive.
This makes the game way too brutal.

An other negative side effect is that it's much more difficult to defend, because you cannot repulse a fully stacked opponent who pushes.

Again, the push at nexuiz was absurd. But there is probably some room to trade-off more wisely.
Fat.bot.Slim

Agree!
Also note that in nexuiz push depend on weapon - rl fired non centrally to the oponent will eject him in-air at some angle. Nex would not do that, and in fact will push strongly only when you are already in air. Mortar have way less push than those two, and its only vertical. Other weapons have limited push. Obviousely, each weapon should have its own push properties.

(02-16-2012, 12:22 AM)_Subzero_ Wrote: Agree!
Also note that in nexuiz push depend on weapon - rl fired non centrally to the oponent will eject him in-air at some angle. Nex would not do that, and in fact will push strongly only when you are already in air. Mortar have way less push than those two, and its only vertical. Other weapons have limited push. Obviousely, each weapon should have its own push properties.

Not true. Push was always from the source of the damage to the hit point. For hitscan that means along the projectile trace, and for blast damage that means along the blast radius. The nex pushed stronger in mid-air because there was no floor friction, rockets exploded from above would push less too for that reason. And the mortar would push upwards because you probably shot the ground or the lower half of the player more often.
The only peculiar behavior was that the crylink had negative push force, but it still obeyed the blast damage physics. You could change a cvar and it would behave just like an electro or a hagar in terms of push.

Also should be noted that in older nexuiz versions, antilag could cause somewhat odd nex-push, since it would apply the shot at player origin. That antilag got replaced by something sane a long time ago, tough.

(02-15-2012, 05:13 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Just a (brilliant) illustration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDMbld3fmE

Sorry, this is off topic. But what is it with the enormous flares around rockets etc.?
They cover nearly the whole FOV :O.
I used higher settings than normal the other day and thought that the flares were
some kind of driver failure on my side (mesa git).
But they seem to be intentional. This may have been cool in a 1999 B-game but
this size is totally exaggerated.

Absolutely agree with Rage ATWM. I hate this fast weapon swithing. It spoils whole game. The best players are those who can switch the weapons faster then their opponent. there are some ways to remedy this problem.
1. weapon switch delay (I've mentioned it before in the "cut the number of the weapons" thred)
2. As Rage ATWM pointed that out: a bit stronger push force.
3. Bigger refire (?)

or ... we could turn the HALC into a push weapon ...

I also didn't like the minimal push it makes space maps much more boring ...

weapon switching needs no changes ... it is perfect ... maybe an uncharged nex could be weaker though (good nex charging = no more fast nex mortar combos) ...

as for flash blend approximation ... it needs a setting to ajust the size of the blends ... cause .. i would use it but ... I cant see my rocket

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [Poll] Increase Laser Push Force on Opponents Halogene 23 22,230 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Last Post: jizzman
  [SUGGESTION] laser push force boost with quad ? Rage_ATWM 9 7,194 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM