Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats ur mousepad? - or gaming gear worth mentioning :)

Tongue 
since theres alread a mouse thread i thought one could aswell extend it... its interesting to see what gear people use Smile so what mousepad do u guys use? or do u have a special gaming headset etc.

headset: Sennheiser PC160 Heart
mouse pad: none Tongue

Keyboard: Razer Arctosa (has loads of features but its nothing fancy)
Mouse: Logitech g5 (has an annoying wheel but its got some decent features)
Headphones: Shure 840 + X-fi Xtreme Sound Card (awesome audio quality)

I'll probably upgrade my mouse soon as its wheel is starting to get on my nerves (it behaves erratically). Smile

Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 => nice
Mouse: Apple Mighty Mouse = probably the worst gaming mouse on this planet

nim.
LoverTaleb

im planning to get a headset (since im only playing with skullcandy skullcrusher headphones lol) should be under 100$ but still good enough quality for music any suggestions? :]
as for mousepads i just got htis baby, cant complain sofar the glide and tracking is just amazing Big Grin (i just tap the mouse and it slides over to the other side :3 )
[Image: razer-scarab-main1.jpg]

i had the razer goliathus speed mat before but since i got a better mouse it didnt do the job anymore... cloth mat + laser sensor = rly bad idea
btw niceee keyboard rocknroll237 D:

Depends on the cloth pad really. I know one of Razer's cloth pads sucks for laser sensors, but there are ones out there that don't. In particular my Corepad C1 gets the job done for my Lachesis which has the DPI and polling rate maxed in-game.

Also, pro tip: Most "gaming" mousepads made by Razer, Steelseries, and other big name companies are overpriced as hell. You can very easily get yourself a gaming grade pad off of Ebay for as little as $10. Difference between a gaming mousepad and your cheapo that can be picked up at the local Walmart, Office Max, or whatever is that they're a lot more precise and won't cause your sensor to jump all over the place.

Another pro tip: You see A LOT of Quake professionals use the Microsoft Intellimouse, which is anything but a fancy mouse. The reason for this is that they stick with what they know works for them as that's either what they were using or very close to it anyway to what they were using when they got so good. The ONLY time you should consider doing peripheral upgrades is if something breaks or you reach a point where the limitations of the peripheral in question become apparent and hold you back. There have only been TWO cases where this has happened to me with mice. The first time it became apparent that I was being held back was when I was using a three button WIRELESS mouse and the second time was when I was using a Logitech MX518 (overrated piece of shit btw, I recommend a Trust GM Predator over it which is a $10 mouse). In both cases it was response times that annoyed me and in the case of the MX518, the sensor just didn't feel right.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Lee_Stricklin, that´s just your oppinion! Keep that in mind! There are many people out there who are happy with their Logitech MX518 (e.g. me Tongue). As you pointed out right it depends on what each player prefers. Also there isn´t THE ultimate gaming mouse/pad which hasn´t ANY single bug, you can always get a real lemon.

yes im still getting used to my new mouse but the main point i switched to it was the "exactsense" function this way i can leave the ingame sensitivity to 1 so theres no interpolation and adjust the dpi to my liking any number up to 5700 (up to 11400 with software interpolation but i dont use that), since the mouse has its own 32bit arm processor built in latency is also a bit lower because the data gets processed before the signal gets out. this would be impossible with my old razer DA

Don't forget the gold-plated connectors and save some nanoseconds by shortening your usb cable too. Don't sit too far away from your screen either for the same reason.

EDIT: This is friendly sarcasm btw! Wink

...and get the fastest printer! That has a massive impact on Xonotic performance, as it also did for Nexuiz! ;-)
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(02-17-2012, 12:49 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Don't forget the gold-plated connectors and save some nanoseconds by shortening your usb cable too. Don't sit too far away from your screen either for the same reason.

Already did that, also you MUST do the following if you want to be even close to OK, you automatically aint good if you don't lol

USE A CRT MONITOR WITH A GAZILLION HZ REFRESH RATE AND DISABLE VSYNC
USE PS/2 ON YOUR KEYBOARDS IF POSSIBLE AND MAKE SURE YOUR MOUSE IS SET TO AT LEAST 10000HZ POLLING RATE AND CAPABLE OF 9000DPI
SPEAKING OF MOUSE, YOU NEED AT LEAST 7 BUTTONS ON IT
GOLD PLATED CONNECTORS ARE A MUST
SO ARE LEDS
MAKE SURE YOU PLAY USING OMG.CFG, IF YOUR NOT GETTING 500+ FPS, YOUR DOING IT WRONG
SURROUND SOUND IS A REQUIREMENT AND IF YOU USE VOICE CHAT SO ARE TACTICAL-GRADE THROAT MICS
FOV 666 AS WELL (note, this is also useful for solving problems with UT99 as well)

@Maddin
I think you got opinion and fact mixed up lol also, my opinion > your opinion *QUICKLY GETS LOST*

@N3phr!s
Honestly it shouldn't be too hard to find something higher than SkullCandy quality as that brand generally sucks lol and from my experience their Agent headphones were only good for one VERY SPECIFIC purpose which was Nintendo DS gaming, hell from what I read you can probably get by with a pair of cheap Koss Portapros or a pair of MODIFIED (Kramer mod, look it up, it's easy to do) JVC Marshmallows that have been burned in, though the sound stage on them isn't wide so I wouldn't recommend them for gaming. If I were you, I'd just browse around an audiophile forum and ask others what they think a good choice would be for your price point as they are typically very knowledgeable about that stuff.

Oh wait.

Beats by Dre are the best gaming headphones. Trufax.

Asking audiophiles? I don't trust audiophiles. Read this.

Honest question to get back on topic, what's the point of enormous mouse polling rates if your screen refreshes at only 60 or 120Hz?

(02-18-2012, 02:22 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Beats by Dre are the best gaming headphones. Trufax.

Asking audiophiles? I don't trust audiophiles. Read this.

Honest question to get back on topic, what's the point of enormous mouse polling rates if your screen refreshes at only 60 or 120Hz?
feels different...more responsive in general... some people are used to 500hz tho and stick to it, also 1000hz polling rate doesnt do u much good on a 32bit system

btw wtf is that thing in the link u posted? xD

- DPI says nothing as you aim in angles and not at pixels in games like xonotic. Can even rock with 300 dpi, just use whatever feels best for you.
- Gaming grade mousepads are not always expensive. You can get the Steelseries QCK for around 10€ at Amazon for example.
- Higher usb polling frequency = mouse input gets registered quicker. Using 1000hz for example makes you fire 7ms (compared to 125hz) quicker after pressing your mouse button Smile
- 1000hz works fine at 32 bit systems, it's merely a hardware issue depending on if your motherboard can handle it. Many people prefer 500hz because it's more stable for them and feels a little smoother while the difference in response time is neglectable (1ms compared to 2ms)

I use(d):
Mousepad: Puretrak talent, QCK (+heavy), Razer Goliathus speed
Mouse: Razer abyssus, WMO 1.1, IMO 1.1, Steelseries XAI

Does using a mouse has improved my aim significantly over a long period (after the placebo effect wear off)? No. They were all good mouses and good pads, it's only a matter of taste as long as your mouse doesn't skip or produce heavy random accel you'll be fine. What really helped me was to stop messing around with sensitivity/accel settings all the time. Just use one combination that feels comfortable to you and get your aim used to it.

Another possible reason for (both higher then monitor refresh and faster then human reaction mouse poll) is something sometimes refereed to as "common slowest sensor".

According to http://www.humanbenchmark.com the average reaction time is abt 215 ms. Its not precisely the right sort of test perhaps (as in a fps game your often tracking a target thus do not "react to it" this way) but it will do as example. Now imagine with a 125 hz (8 ms) mouse, you react just after the last 'mouse poll'. this adds another 8 ms to your already (miserably slow) human response time. With 1000 hz, that penalty is never more then 1 ms, or up to 800% less. And probably more important, it will be much more consistent (after all, fps games are allot about prediction. How can you predict well with a random delay added?). The same deal is repeated tough the various in/output chains between your brain and the game, adding various delays. The longer each one can be, the more random the response time is.

The deal with the screen update is that Darkpalces is single threaded. Thus, it will not register any input between frames, thus you have to make it render as fast as possible to make to as responsive as possible. Again, this is why you want a as steady as possible render speed too.

As for gaming gear, i use:
logitech g700 mouse
a decent ps2 keyboard (good ps2 keyboards have less issues with multiple presses keys compared to usb that have to use fugly hakks for that)
qpad ct black / 4mm mousepad
Sony studio grade headphones (not because games need it, they where a gift from a happy customer = )

I'm using:
Logitech g9 mouse - I love the switchable clicky/free-spin wheel feature
Razer lycosa
Steelseriec qck heavy - It's huge but since 3 years of usage i haven't seen any abrasions
Creative fatality headset - They totally suck, but anyway it's better than playing on speakers

What keyboard and mouse do you reccomend? Both my mouse and keybord start to wear away, especially rubber coats so I will have to replace them soon.

I've got Razer Lycosa, Razer Mamba, QcK heavy Steel and Thermaltake Shock Spin.

OH G-d, really?! Anyone tricked-out their mousey yet?? lol
Like with a nice sports package :p

(02-16-2012, 04:06 PM)N1mbus Wrote: Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 => nice
Mouse: Apple Mighty Mouse = probably the worst gaming mouse on this planet

nim.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...HA!

Anyway know what mouse has the most buttons? I´m thinking of using one of those RPG mice to use for my DAW.

i don't know what one has the most evar, but Razer naga and Logitech g700 has plenty - the latter i can recommend is you like large mice, never tested the naga.

Kay thanks, checking it out now. need faster workflow!!! For some reason am now checking out joysticks cause they´ve got a bunch of buttons. I had a professor who used his wii remote to conduct his DAW.

(04-04-2012, 04:28 PM).Danny. Wrote: Anyway know what mouse has the most buttons? I´m thinking of using one of those RPG mice to use for my DAW.

Out of the ones that are in production, the Razer Naga.

Oh wait.

This one's got plenties of buttons:
[Image: industrial1280.jpg]

*Old IBM Keyboard*

You know those things are so tough, that say you can kill a man with it and immediately resume typing on it.

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is this the best gaming computer? chooksta 12 15,326 03-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Last Post: chooksta