Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Xonotic: Video on Demand (VoD)

(11-26-2017, 03:54 PM)martin-t Wrote: Btw, it's not recorded using the builtin recorder, is it? It's 60 fps but at times it's really choppy when turning. I wish we had a more up to date high-quality video we could put on http://xonotic.org/media/.

It in fact is the builtin recorder. All of those demos are recorded on WTWRP Deathmatch and then rendered to avi with cl_capturevideo. I don't know why the choppyness occurs, is it because of too many people and pl?

(11-26-2017, 03:54 PM)martin-t Wrote: Also i'll note that i don't think you should time items on a public server, you don't need it anyway. Tongue

I disagree. It's how the game is meant to be played and I think it's better to set an example on how to win with strategy Tongue

(11-26-2017, 03:54 PM)martin-t Wrote: You also missed a very honest and offensive discussion (or at times monologue) of how Pharo Smalltalk sucks (because it's incredibly buggy) and why dynamic typing is evil (because it lets incompetent people write bad code).

Perhaps you have a point there, but I don't know anything about that so my partaking would be useless Tongue

@Smilecythe, why did you still use blaster jump for the mega-health, with your fluent trick jump skills?

(12-06-2017, 02:24 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Smilecythe, why did you still use blaster jump for the mega-health, with your fluent trick jump skills?
You can't always afford to risk it with hard jumps and it usually takes more time even if you succeed Tongue

What part are you talking about specifically?

(12-06-2017, 03:14 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:24 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Smilecythe, why did you still use blaster jump for the mega-health, with your fluent trick jump skills?
You can't always afford to risk it with hard jumps and it usually takes more time even if you succeed Tongue

What part are you talking about specifically?

If I remember correctly from my 1st viewing, in this video you always used blaster jump to get the mega health, 1:17 being one example.

I'm asking because I wish I could quickly get the mega health, without hurting myself; I've been killed too often because I stayed there too long trying to get that mega health. Sometimes that blaster jump comes with my low health moan and revealed my location.

Side note: I asked Halogene once why he doesn't use trick jump there, and he said you are probably the only one that can do that.

I'm surprised that you think trick jumps takes more time. In the other video where you showcased that trick jump in various games, forward and backwards, everything looked so effortless.

Well, it looks like the only benefit is the silence then.

I can do the jump as well. Success rate is about 2 or 3 in roughly 500 tries.

*gloat*
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(12-06-2017, 05:30 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: I'm surprised that you think trick jumps takes more time. In the other video where you showcased that trick jump in various games, forward and backwards, everything looked so effortless.

Well, it looks like the only benefit is the silence then.
There have been times where I've been able to surprise my opponents with the jump. But it requires that you start from ideal position, which you may not always have time to do.
Blaster kind of gives the counter incentive to do the trickjumps, because it's more flexible, doesn't cost much hp, is less risky and faster.

Is it fair to say super advanced trick jumps, such as those in your super impressive Jumping Around list, belong to a different sport (race), and probably don't help much in the real combat?

The tricks are as useful as they appear to be. If you have confidence, consistency and you can pull them off at the right time, then they can be useful.
The reason I do trickjumps is for a different reason though, to me it just feels satisfying to succeed at them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Demos from the Crypt (Xonotic VIDEO) kojn^ 7 4,774 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Last Post: kojn^
  Some non-pro gameplay video unfa 9 6,831 07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Old Xonotic Video kojn^ 4 5,445 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Last Post: kojn^
  A frag video with a twist srkdy 7 7,439 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Last Post: thimo
  Overkill + Jetpack video end user 11 14,146 10-06-2014, 04:55 AM
Last Post: tZork
  Xonotic Video Tutorials machine! 6 7,479 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  Player model cat walk video? end user 6 10,119 07-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Dedicated map repo and video hosting site... end user 28 29,666 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Last Post: end user
Video Basic movements video Karamel 4 6,240 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Karamel
  Frag video of november KoalaBearScarf 6 6,729 12-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Last Post: dizzy