Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] See characters' hands in Xonotic?

Hi!

I was just wondering about something: have you ever tried to set the Field of View in TheGameThatMustNotBeNamed to something over 90 degrees? The weapon seems to stretch waaaaay out and it looks kinda awkward and the character's hands still aren't visible. I realized that since the characters can be seen to be holding their weapons when in Spectator mode, why is it that you do not see the hands of the player grasping the gun, pulling the trigger?

I know that this isn't a vital feature at all to add, of course. Smile But personally, the fact that when the Field of View is above 90 degrees, the weapon looks distorted and stretched out to impossible lengths and you still can't see your character's hands. It may make it look nicer, but you shouldn't have to change that if you don't want to. If you guys want to make the weapon handling a bit more realistic, you should give it a shot. But if you want to leave it Wolfenstein 3D-style, like in this picture:

[Image: wolf3d.gif]

where you can't see the hands, then that's great too. Wink Let me know what you think.

Blazkowicz left hand is visible in that shot lol

The lack of hands always made me wonder. However, this is not a technical, but a philosophical one. You are not a person; everyone else is, but you are merely a roving weapon.

(04-09-2010, 07:41 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Blazkowicz left hand is visible in that shot lol

Oops, sorry! Big Grin What I meant is that in Wolf3D, you can see little to nothing of Blazkowicz's hands and in Nexuiz you can't see the hands either.

Not being able to see hands always bothered me in FPS games going all the way back to Goldeneye. Unreal and UT99 had a cheap method of showing hands just by using the same damn hands model on every character (including the Nali War Cow lol).

(04-09-2010, 07:47 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Not being able to see hands always bothered me in FPS games going all the way back to Goldeneye. Unreal and UT99 had a cheap method of showing hands just by using the same damn hands model on every character (including the Nali War Cow lol).

So do you think we could implement it? Not right away, I guess, for there are probably more useful and functional things to add to Xonotic at the moment.

EDIT: Wait a minute, if hands were implemented in the game and you adjusted the Field of View to a value over 90 degrees, would the arms look stretched just like the weapons now? LOL

the easiest way would be to make the arms as part of the weapon model.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

[Image: crysis8.jpg]
If someone could program viewable player models in first person view that would look and be fantastic! Looking down and in reflections we will also be able to see the rest of the player model

We added motion blur like crysis im sure viewable player models is possible also. It will also force high res playmodel textures Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Yep. I didn't like it too when if you for example move your mouse down, in most games you only see a shadow, but no character's legs. BTW, in a game called Urban Terror, there are hands' of characters in first person view, but no legs, too.

In Crysis there are arms and legs but only them. You won't see your whole body reflected in a mirror, then Tongue
I always missed that feature too.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

There was no hands in nexuiz pov view because somebody would have had to model hands for every player model (being that some were human and others were alien, also male and female, etc.)

(04-10-2010, 09:41 AM)nifrek Wrote: There was no hands in nexuiz pov view because somebody would have had to model hands for every player model (being that some were human and others were alien, also male and female, etc.)

Ah, I see. It could probably end up being a hassle developing a set of hands for each player, holding each weapon in a specific way. Undecided Still, it would be a cool feature to have. Maybe in a much later version of Xonotic it might be possible?

EDIT: Wait, could Cuinnton's idea of having programmable player models work?

Showing feet is definitely not a good idea, I like to see who/what is below me and if I can get a shot off.

roanoke: maybe make it adjustable Tongue
it actually is a good idea to see hands / feet. if people dont like it, make it disabable by a cvar.
if its a lot of work, do it now and youre finished before dinner.
[?] - #kwestion @quakenet

(04-10-2010, 09:41 AM)nifrek Wrote: There was no hands in nexuiz pov view because somebody would have had to model hands for every player model (being that some were human and others were alien, also male and female, etc.)

Or they can do what Epic did in Unreal and Unreal Tournament and just use the same hands on every character model. Even the War Cow -which is exactly that, a nali cow with a machine on it's back for handling weapons- had the same hands model.

(04-10-2010, 04:23 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:

Or they can do what Epic did in Unreal and Unreal Tournament and just use the same hands on every character model. Even the War Cow -which is exactly that, a nali cow with a machine on it's back for handling weapons- had the same hands model.

Well I think this would be a good default option, i.e if there were no hand models for that character, but I think that the developer of the character should also have the choice over to whether replace this with his one.

(04-10-2010, 03:49 PM)vaan Wrote: roanoke: maybe make it adjustable Tongue
it actually is a good idea to see hands / feet. if people dont like it, make it disabable by a cvar.
if its a lot of work, do it now and youre finished before dinner.

I wholeheartedly agree on that!

we could also have it be by groups. innstead of every model having its own hands, we could have "human" type models have a hand set, "alien" type models have a hand set, and so on.

Imgur Gallery

Perhaps. That should make this much easier!

However, I've just come up with an alternative to modeling extra hand models.

Here's my proposal:
Whenever you are in 1st person mode in a game, Xonotic loads up the character just like the way it loads up your enemies, only the camera is anchored to your player model's eyes. At that point you can see your weapon being held/cocked by hands and if you look down, you can see your feet. It seems logical, however it may decrease performance because it is essentially like loading an extra player model (extra polygons Undecided) rather than a hovering weapon...

Anybody know QuakeC well enough to program something like this?

That solution won't work. When you look down, you will either be looking inside of the model (ugly), or actually see the full torso and legs of the model (inconvenient). But if someone manages to pull this off and make a cvar for it (client side), okay.

for that to work, it would require skeletal spine deformation, and it would have to be repositioned to be better seen in the view.

Imgur Gallery

I'd like to have arms and legs!!!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(04-10-2010, 09:57 PM)Roanoke Wrote: That solution won't work. When you look down, you will either be looking inside of the model (ugly), or actually see the full torso and legs of the model (inconvenient). But if someone manages to pull this off and make a cvar for it (client side), okay.

Well, not necessarily. If the camera is outside of the model, but pasted in front of its eyes, you could still look down and not see inside of the model. Smile

but the angle would not be correct for a FPS. it would just look odd.

im not saying it's not possible, i'm just saying it might be harder then some other method.

Imgur Gallery

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [FIXED] Handle non-ASCII characters on http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic Antares* 5 4,567 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [SUGGESTION] New Asian Characters BuddyFriendGuy 7 8,781 07-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Characters need life mood 13 12,214 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune