Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revised in-game music player

Instead of making a track tied to map (as in same map always plays the same track), how about making tracks play like in games with licensed soundtrack, as in when one is over, next is played (or shuffled), with ability to disable specific ones in menu, if you feel like it. This could have a few benefits:

-It will diversify tracks you hear, especially handy for freshly added ones, which would otherwise be unheard for a while.
-You can make artist/title displayed on-screen as track begins, which will increase recognition of those who made them.
-Those who don't like changed tracks, can have "Repeat" retained as an option.

Great idea. In Red Eclipse, you have the option to choose map-specific songs or random songs, but this sounds even cooler.

+1
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Seems interesting, though I'd like the option to tie tracks to specific maps and have them loop as well.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

The mapmakers can always add a button in the map to change the music ... thus making a music dj control room...

if anything does change .... it should not break this funtionality

I still think map specific tracks are the way to go, as the music helps define the atmosphere of the map. Shuffle may become an option, but sure not default.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I agree .. just think of the akwerdness if the glowplant malfunction track started playing on space elevator....

A little mockup for how I imagine the form looking like (sans skins and proper fonts).

When "use map defaults" is checked, list would be grayed out.

Attached Files
.png   form.png (Size: 11.27 KB / Downloads: 230)

ideally, tracks should be made specifically for a map to fit its artstyle and gameplay. a music player would not be an option then.

the tracks should not be something you can simply replace with other tracks. the artstyle of maps can't be changed to the users liking as well.

but the artists around here probably do not have that level of professionalism (no offense) necessary to make tracks and maps that perfectly fit each other... still, i vote for one track per map and nothing else.

(02-24-2012, 12:50 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Seems interesting, though I'd like the option to tie tracks to specific maps and have them loop as well.

I agree

The feature already ALMOST exists: there is playlist support in the engine which you can configure via a .cfg, which then overrides whatever maps do.

It is done using the following cvars:

music_playlist_list0 - space separated list of tracks to play
music_playlist_random0 - 0 respective 1 for repeat respective shuffle
music_playlist_index - set this to 0 to activate playlist mode, to -1 to go back to per-map music mode

If any volunteers want to make the required menu controls for this, go ahead. I just insist that default stays as is, i.e. map specific tracks.

Sweet.

A few things:
1. Can settings be saved to work after restart?
2. music_playlist_current seems to be stuck and only plays manually set track, regardless of sequential/random setting.
3. Can menu song be made independent from playlist?

1. if we make the cvars saved in defaultXonotic.cfg, then yes
2. no idea, may be buggy. Never tried it, never cared for it. Patches welcome
3. not really, with quite some extra code yes, though

I tried to implement a music player in the menu, you can test it checking out the branch terencehill/music_player
It's possible to play all the available tracks with buttons to control playback, checkbox for randomization and buttons to set/reset the menu track.

When the music player is enabled the game will only play the playlist tracks regardless of the map track.
The Stop button also disables the music player: after 3 seconds the menu track starts playing and plays back until the next map change, unlikely there seems to be no way to resume or restart the current map track.

I'm planing to make each track selectable like in the rafallus mockup.

Screenshot:

Looking good, I will definitely give it a test when it will be in autobuild.

I have an idea for in-game mockup showing of name/artist, but I'm not sure ogg tags are set.

I like the idea, but I would be fine with a keybind that changes the music to a random track, that way when i get sick of hearing a track I can change myself. You have to figure that some tracks are only a couple minutes long, so in a 20 minute match that is a lot of different tracks being played.

Would love to see this in the autobuild sometime soon. Looks good.

great stuff , but this will require alot of tunes imo, so music nerds will have to work alot harder and submitt , etc.

i'm wondering if there is an overall size cap to the file that holds all the tunes in game.
i mean , with all the super nerd computers with massive hard drives , it wont matter , but are the devs hoping to keep the download size of the game to a certian amount?

smaller the better , yes , but how many tunes is too much?

i would like to see alot of tunes , alot of variety , but you know :p

t

:^

ultimately as long as I can still play itunes whilst playing xonotic I´m not much bothered by this any of this.

I'd love it.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

it should be possible to add music that you own to the player so you can listen to it in game. Cool

(05-20-2012, 12:47 AM)WiFiDi Wrote: it should be possible to add music that you own to the player so you can listen to it in game. Cool
That's not possible. The only thing you can do is to put your music in the directory data\sound\cdtracks, in ogg format.

(05-14-2012, 11:55 AM)W4RP1G Wrote: I like the idea, but I would be fine with a keybind that changes the music to a random track, that way when i get sick of hearing a track I can change myself. You have to figure that some tracks are only a couple minutes long, so in a 20 minute match that is a lot of different tracks being played.

Try this:
Code:
alias random_track "menu_cmd rpn /_rand 8 rand def; wait; cd loop $_rand"
bind p random_track
Then press p (change it to whatever key you like more) to switch to a random track

EDIT: I have an old version of xonotic-music.pk3 in GIT so instead of 8 put 14 in the alias, that's the number of tracks.

(05-14-2012, 09:56 AM)rafallus Wrote: Looking good, I will definitely give it a test when it will be in autobuild.
Ehm... it won't be in autobuild anytime soon, likely it will never be, I'm not sure Xonotic team has any interest on this.

(05-14-2012, 09:56 AM)rafallus Wrote: I have an idea for in-game mockup showing of name/artist, but I'm not sure ogg tags are set.
Sorry but currently there's no way to read ogg tags, so tracks can only be displayed with their filenames

Anyway, I've made some improvements to the music player:
There's now a real playlist where it's possible to add tracks from the list of all the available tracks.
Tracks in the playlist can be arranged in the preferred order by dragging them or removed by pressing the DELETE button

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 675,169 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,192 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,803 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,383 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,141 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,104 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,601 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
Music Low interest in music development - why? unfa 28 30,043 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Jar-El
  I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork 98digger 3 5,715 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Orchestral music for Xonotic BuddyFriendGuy 9 13,969 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy