Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why stormkeep is the most popular map?

I've just noticed at http://stats.xonotic.org that stormkeep is the most played map in Xonotic. Why do everybody like this map?

Yes, i do personally love it. It's tactical, eye-candy, simple to learn and to move.

P.s. Can anybody provide some information about its history/author(s)? By what was inspired its style and geometry?

Well you just answered your question by your self. It allows tactical gameplay, looks good and it's item layout is easy to learn.

It's also remake of a classic Nexuiz map with some minor changes (besides eye candy, of course)

(02-25-2012, 05:50 PM)rafallus Wrote: It's also remake of a classic Nexuiz map with some minor changes (besides eye candy, of course)

well stormkeep is not the only map which can be described that way
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

... glowplant, xoylent, spaceelevator, newtonian nightmare, running man, evilspace, bleach, ... just to name a few

Sure guys, but he did use the word "also". So maybe those maps are lacking in the characteristics already mentioned Smile It's like that game:

Stormkeep is popular because...

Stormkeep is popular because it allows tactical gameplay.

Stormkeep is popular because it allows tactical gameplay and looks good.

Stormkeep is popular because it allows tactical gameplay, looks good and its item layout is easy to learn.

Stormkeep is popular because it allows tactical gameplay, looks good, its item layout is easy to learn and it is a remake of an old Nexuiz map.

Next!
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

It's popular for the same reason like Xoylent, Final Rage and Downer_final if you check the Top 5 in stats.

- Duel maps -> There are not much good ones so they're played often, much more variety in e.g. CTF
- Duels are shorter than matches in other gamemods, thus the maps get played over and over again

Of course, it's a good map as well. Wink

Also take note that those "most active" stats are from the past 7 days. It could be a fad, but probably not Big Grin.

Stormkeep is one of my favorite maps because it allows the player who isn't in control (oftentimes me) some chance. This is different from maps like xoylent and final_rage, where gaining back control is several times more difficult.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can we make Xonotic more popular? anoob 29 9,827 10-01-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Trixtoxia
Tongue Why Xonotic isn't as popular sovietcat 35 24,045 07-28-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: end user
Question CRA no longer popular? /dev/zero 4 3,273 10-17-2020, 01:36 PM
  What's this and why does no one write for it? Antares* 5 3,943 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Mario
Shocked Why replace the mg with the ARC? GoregeousGuy 70 52,789 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 7,999 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Thumbs Up Typical linux newbie problems (or why Xonotic needs to be on Steam ASAP) poVoq 4 8,000 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Last Post: fool
  Xonotic is popular with high-school students Zeo 22 23,353 06-02-2015, 02:50 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  How popular is xonotic? UncleSam 14 13,503 05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Minska+Hook to popular? Bomber 1 2,970 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Maddin