Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yo!

Hey y'all.

Thought I might as well introduce myself, seeing as I'm a big fan of Xonotic, having just moved over from Nexuiz: ).

I think I may be the oldest dude around here at 52, but apparently on Nex, there was someone older: S

I never really grew up.
I think I got stuck somewhere around the age of 14.

Anyway, the main purpose of this, is to say thanks to all those who developed this game, and made it free for us all to enjoy.
Hard to believe it's free, what with the unbelievable quality and physics etc.

I like painting, writing music, a bit of martial arts, and spooky stuff that gives small and innocent children nightmaresDodgy

Cheers all, and cyas ingame.Big Grin

Hello and welcome to Xonotic!

I don't know what kind of martial arts you enjoy, but: Amitabha! Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(03-10-2012, 06:44 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Hello and welcome to Xonotic!

I don't know what kind of martial arts you enjoy, but: Amitabha! Smile

Hi thereBig Grin

That was a quick reply.

I did do a bit of Wing Chun for a few years, but never got very good at it.
Enjoyed trying tho.

I see you're a mapper.
Which maps are yours?

By the way, what does Amitabha mean?

Cheers.

I've done several maps for Xonotic with cooperation with others: Nexballarena, Newtonian Nightmare, Leave'em Behind, Lightspeed, Darkzone etc. In case you came from Nexuiz, a few (in)famous maps like Facing Worlds, Greatwall RELOADED!, Rocket Arena, Hot Grounds etc. are all my deeds...

"Amitābha" is translatable as "Infinite Light". In the Shao Lin school where I train we usually greet eachother with this word, with the meaning of "May Buddha's Infinite Light, Wisdom and Peace shine on You!" or something like that Smile

Hello. Smile

Howdy Smile

Welcome! You write music? Any examples of your work?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Wow!

I go away for a short while, and there's loads of replies: )

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I was playing Xonotic: P

Thanks for the Buddhist phrase.
Which style do you do?

Ye. You can find some of my musical ramblings at http://www.soundclick.com/weavingspiders

There are a few different styles there, so if you don't like one tune, maybe the next will be more to your liking.
If you don't like ANY of them, well......, you can't please everyone can you ? : ))

Ye, I've played a few of those maps before.
Highly enjoyable to say the least, but I generally went for the DM servers, and yes, I have come over from Nex, which has provided me with many many hours of pleasure.

I noticed I've had my sorry butt kicked by a few of you already.
Keep up the good work: )
I deserve it.

Thanks again for the replies
Keep on fraggin'

Hi, seen you yesterday on DCC, if I remember correctly.

(03-10-2012, 12:35 PM)rafallus Wrote: Hi, seen you yesterday on DCC, if I remember correctly.
I'm sure I remember you too: )
Ye, you'll usually find me at the bottom of the list of players after each gameTongue

I never thought I would enjoy being bad at something so much.

Hello.

Some nice tunes there, i like 'em Smile

Indeed, though I think some of the stuff would need a little bit more bass.

I study traditional Shao Lin kung-fu. I just started a year ago, so I'm still at the very beginning. Apart from that, I mostly study south style, I'm not that athletic for the jumpy nothern one Smile

What up? I really liked those tunes you had there. You would make a nice music artist!

I guess I'm one of the guys who kicked your butt quite a few times Big Grin

Welcome, it's always nice know some more about the people you meet online, they become more real than just some anonymous guy behind a computer Big Grin

Anyways, welcome to the forums Big Grin

Welcome to Xonotic!

Thanks for all your replies and welcomes: )

Thanks also for taking the time to listen to my tunes, and the constructive comments.
It's always encouraging to hear a more objective viewpoint, as I hardly play them to anyone.

I've been playing guitar and bass for about 35 years now, and mangling noises along with programming beats for about 15 to 20.
My only claim to fame is that my mate and I once supported a guy called Roy Harper (He sang on Pink Floyd's 'Have a cigar' on 'Wish you were here'), so I thought I'd do a bit of name dropping there: )
We were terrible by the way.

About the bass, my monitors are a bit bass heavy, as is my stereo, so I tend to over compensate. which results in the thin-sounding mixes.
I'll have to get some more cash from somewhere, and invest in some new stuff, though my monitors are pretty good-Alesis Monitor 1s.
I think I'll do some new mixes when I get my studio sorted a bit better with some kind of bass traps, as I suspect there are some standing waves hiding around the place, plus I have plain painted walls which are probably reflecting sounds and cancelling things out etc..........

Ye, Mepper, I remember you too, but watch out.........I came second and third a couple of times today, so watch your back....., I'm coming ta getcha: )

I always found it a bit frustrating conversing in Nex, as I'm aware that it's distracting for the other players if I get too involved in a conversation in-game , so try to avoid it.
The Nex forum wasn't taking any new registrations when I started playing, so I had to wait until there was only a couple of players before getting sociable.

On the martial arts front, I would like to learn a bit of Praying Mantis as it seems to be a kind of extension to Wing Chun in some ways, but I do have a bit of a lower back problem which sometimes restricts me in some ways, but some people have things much worse than I, so I don't like to complain too much.

Thanks again for listening to my tunes, and replying.

Great community here: )

welcome to xonotic will check out your music pronto