Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Facebook integration

Make Xonotic a FB app that has your friends and stuff with a Xonotic browser plugin.

No.

EDIT: I'm not completely understanding the tone of your message, so I'll assume there's an implicit "I have a suggestion:" at the beginning of your message.
What you're asking for is a facebook app as well as a qlive-like in-browser game. A facebook app would need a specialized developer, and AFAIK we don't have that. A browser plugin would not be possible, it's been discussed in this thread.

Besides, I loathe facebook and I can't be the only one here who does. It's so contrary to what Xonotic means for a bunch of us, I can't see your suggestion working at all.

(03-10-2012, 01:16 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: No.

I was wondering what kind of response I was going to see when I scrolled down.

I was not disappointed Big Grin
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

If someone wanted to create such an app we do have XonStat up and running and information could be pulled from that in some useful way I'm sure, however there's no way a Facebook app could come into Xonotic itself. A Facebook group might be quite popular too but as we are pre-1.0, now is the wrong time to do that. It would have to be launched inline with 1.0.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

http://www.facebook.com/xonotic
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Maybe another Xonotic channel on QuakeNet #xonotic_facebook (or #xonotic-facebook) where Facebook users can help each other?

Pretty good idea, but then just creat a #xonotic.help channel Smile

There are more people then just facebook users who need help Tongue

The help I was thinking of, was help with their addiction (and stupidity). A bit like Alcoholic's Anonymous Tongue

Note, I don't think Alcoholic's Anonymous are stupid, it is a very worthy organisation.
Maybe we need other IRC chan's for Google+, MySpace, Friends Reunited and Reddit.

A Xonotic facebook app would probably be useful for sending invitations to join facebook via the Xonotic forum pm system, no?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

A button in the game menu that updates your Facebook status/profile/outlook or whatever with "I is playing Xonotic", this could be extended to Twitter and Third Life.

Spamming duel match results to Twitter could be useful.

But most likely impossible to implement. (Or just nobody willing to do so Tongue)

And then you also have people like me, who do have facebook, but try to keep Xonotic and real life sepparated.

Well as Mr Bougo said no one in team Xonotic has skills in Facebook application writing so this can't happen.

What might however be a possibility would be to echo out the game info somewhere and then if anyone wants to integrate this info into their Facebook/IM/gay cruising application they can do so themselves if they write it.

Please, not a Facebook button in the game.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Eh, JSON stats would be nifty, that way you can tell people to just code the freaking thing already.

EDIT: JSON or anything, I don't know any other compact formats for structured data.

(03-10-2012, 06:04 PM)edh Wrote: Please, not a Facebook button in the game.

totally agree on this otherwise. I think the xonotic facebook page is enough tbh.

,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-(Like My Status If You Play MinstaRocketAntigravityCTFRuneBallArena)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸

,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-(Givemepositiverepifyouagreethatthefacebookappisunnecessary)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸ Tongue

Nahh but seriously, I think that accounts on Twitter and Facebook are enough really. They just need to be maintained. We already use Quakenet to set up matches.

There, rocknroll237, welcome to highest rated user for a short amount of time.

EDIT: PinkRobot, what did your post say? I forgot to read it then you removed it :<

EDIT: welp, I'll just leave this here: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4862/reprm.png

[Image: povWP.png]

fix'd Big Grin

I was pointing out a mismatch between rocknroll237's username and 101 reputation points. Then I decided not too stain your joke with that. And now I did anyway.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Nope, you broke the forum layout! Big Grin

[Image: repoo.png]
Fixfix'd

EDIT: thank you Pink Tongue

Haha, you guys are crazy. Smile

(03-10-2012, 12:11 PM)phly95 Wrote: Make Xonotic a FB app that has your friends and stuff with a Xonotic browser plugin.

What the..?

(03-10-2012, 01:16 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: No.

Such a relief!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain