Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Bluring distant objects & Heat Haze

There were two things which spammed through my head in the last days, concerning graphics or effects which may be nice. Tongue

At first, as the subject tells you, the idea of bluring distant objects a little bit appeared nice to me. I guess its nothing very spectacular, as there are some games which already have something like that (Am I right here? Im not sure about that...)

Another thing I thought about was refracting things, as the Warpzone shader "wavy" does it. The thing I thought of was to make the mapper able to place a "trigger_heat" (or smth like that) at a place he wants which could probably be hot, as the area above lava for example.
If a player looks into/through this triggered area, he will see the objects behind/in this trigger refracted a bit. (I guess this is controlled by "dp_refract")

Im not sure if this things are realiseable, tell your thoughts Wink

Nice Ideas. I'd really like to see this graphical improvements in the game... but the blur shouldn't be to much! Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

This would be a really nice feature. But your thread title is kinda unclear.
I think you are talking about heat haze.

heat haze is a good idea. dunno whther its already possible....

the blurring you are talking about is called depth of field. but good look with sniping with that... that is used in strategy games or RPGs, but not in FPS.

the heat haze would also look cool on weapon models, for when they cool down after firing.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Oh yea, changed the title.

Anyway, heat haze could work in a different/changed/adapted way. For example, if you snipe/look into a specific direction (where the crosshair points at) the heat haze and distant blur disappears around the crosshair (in an acceptable radius, having a tunnel sight in the end~)

Heat haze would be a sweet effect.Cool

AS for the blur, it has taken the term bokeh in proprietary game engines but it is simply just depth of field, they would have you think its some new-fangled effect so subtle you don't realize it until they've pointed it out Dodgy.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bokeh

And like was stated earlier, not too much of it; the eye does not blur things that are out of focus that much, and we are talking about the natural eye when it comes to an FPS, and the perspective won't suffer too much without it. It would be nice effect when in sniper mode, considering the sniper scope does not fill up the whole screen.

But the heat haze though ... imagine the effect the fireball would be like ... <daydream> ... ...
How long is a piece of string?

Bokeh is some serious hurt graphics performance wise. The only current working implementation is in Just Cause 2, and it uses DX11 compute shaders(the effect is applied as a "photoshop filter" In parallel on the GPU). A simple mipmap style blur would work well though.

Why not Tongue
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Well, it might be nice looking just as long as it can be adjusted or turned off. As for a game that has spiritual ties into the quake way of things, bluring just kills your aim. In a way, it makes camping harder, which is something that's good for me (i HATE camping Tongue ), but it would have an effect on twitch aim for faraway targets (ie, the camper nexing you on your way to cap Tongue ) since your initial sight of them isn't entirely accurate and blurry.

But, the same could be said about motion blur, so I guess if you have the option to turn it off, why not.
bye / bad luck and have boredom