Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Possible matchmaking

Hi there!

What i would like to suggest is a possible way of matchmaking without doing any major engine/game code.

The basic idea is to have PHP handle the queue'ing and sending exec/run commands via telnet(or other solution)
to specific servers that would start a dedicated server with the absolute minimum requirements for smooth gameplay.
On the server side we would have a server queue (also php)
See it like having a list of ip addresseses with a possibility of 10 servers per address as an example
If queue is full, go to next ip etc.
Stats and match tracking we allready have antibodys excellent xonstat!

So the only "obstacles" i see would be player id and nicknames, as atm there is no way to check who is who.
Plus there would be the need for browser specific launchers, so things get executed properly. ;E

All in all feel free to poke holes,criticize and give your opinion on this idea(theory). If this has the possibility to work it could be implemented into other projects and can quite possibly save alot of trouble for people.

Also, a way to remove the "kickback" on weapons when you shoot would be awesome, if it doesnt exist allready.

my 5cents Smile

Recoil can be disabled, but only on the server. That's controlled by the g_norecoil cvar.

I'm not sure what you mean with matchmaking, can you elaboreta a little on that? Do you mean automating connection of a client to a queue of server, so that they have larger chances to get into a crowded server? But what about game types, ping, and this special community thing that gives each server their dedicated playerbase?

(03-14-2012, 06:06 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Recoil can be disabled, but only on the server. That's controlled by the g_norecoil cvar.

I'm not sure what you mean with matchmaking, can you elaboreta a little on that? Do you mean automating connection of a client to a queue of server, so that they have larger chances to get into a crowded server? But what about game types, ping, and this special community thing that gives each server their dedicated playerbase?

Think starcraft 2's ladder, what im thinking of is more aimed at 1v1 then anything else, seeing how quakelives 1v1 scene went to shambles from high tier players raping low to mid tier players till they just quit.

As for servers they would still be there im just interested in getting a balanced ladder to have the competetive side of xonotic thrive.

hope that clears things up.

Hmm we really don't have enough players for something like this to work. You're lucky enough to find *someone* to duel against, let alone someone of your own skill level... You could pretty much forget about matchmaking that sets you up against players with equal skill level for now, and if all you want is to arrange a match against (good to really really good) players, then there's always the IRC pickup channel: #xonotic.pickup @ irc.quakenet.org
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

i do realise the scene is small atm, but what im proposing would help other projects down the line. I was actually having this theory in mind for warsow, but they are doing their own thing. Smile

And the matchmaking would be getting matches through xonstats elo rating(probably) so mismatches would be less frequent.

Down the line tho, this could be used for other games aswell.
If i ever get down and dirty and actually find the time to start working on it . -_-

While im here, i have a suggestion. How about making a billboard entity so clans/tournaments/organisations can do a little bit of advertisement aroun the map.

Was thinking DP_SV_WRITEPICTURE could be used and the texture for the billboard would be set in the entity string.

Would be good if xonotic ever gets picked up by a big tournament or something.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Matchmaking system? machine! 14 13,661 09-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Friend/Enemy instead of Blue/Red where possible BlaXpirit 25 25,251 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo