Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An original music idea: radio streams

Music 
How about making game capable of playing internet radio streams within the match?

Each map could use a cdtrack or an internet radio dedicated to the map. Also servers could override maps settings and play their own streams on the top of all matches played there.
All players hear the same stream.

Check out this one:
http://radio.full-vibes.com:8000/FullVibes128.ogg
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I don't want to download all the time when I'm playing xonotic :/
I think my suggestion here is more appropriate: showthread.php?tid=251&pid=3082#pid3082
However like the user below pointed out, most mod's aren't very good for ingame use.

OIB is right if you already have high ping, you don't need another service dragging your resources down.

Radio streams = FOUR DIGIT PING

Yeah, it's not worth it. I value low ping and high fps over anything, just about.

Sounds nice but I can't see this working. As already said not every one has a great ping, or the resources to allow for streaming media as well high octane game play. I for one don't play the with in game sounds on but play my own tunes on an external media player. Now it would be great if you make an in game interface to work with VLC.

I see. Well - maybe in-game interface for VLC is a better idea - for those who don't want to disable fullscreen everytime they want to do something with the music player in the bg.

VLC is quite powerfull, we might also make some features to make it possible for players to share easily what are they listening to, and if it is a radio stream - to make other players be able to easily join someone's radio.

I'am not sure if it's clear:

Anybody can (optionally) turn on internal interface for VLC, which is running in the bg, or even lauched in bg by the game on player's request.

From console or in some window there should be a way to see any player's details. There could be placed a now-playing section, which (if it's a stream) would be accesible by some hotkey to swich to it, then a notification is being shown to the guy who's stream you're listening to, that you aredoing so. A little notification to avoid disturbing players during the match.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

For those with bad connections it would be really bad.

It's less strain if you just broke out VNC or even iTunes, imo.
[Image: xonoticbychatot.png]

So this might be an option for those with 600 kb/s link.

(04-28-2010, 01:35 PM)Cheshire Cat Wrote: It's less strain if you just broke out VNC or even iTunes, imo.
I don't understand. Could you exlain this? Smile

He means integration with music players.

I support this idea. I would love to have the possibility of custom radio's and premade radio's while playing. I understand that the bandwidth use is a concern for players with a bad connection, but honestly anybody with more than a 3mbps connection will be just fine streaming 96kbps or 128kbps along side the game. The game is NOT a bandwidth hog. I stream music just fine from grooveshark and playlist.com while ingame, my ping is not effected.

For those who do not desire the music or cannot spare the bandwidth, a simple on/off button would be a simple fix.
[Image: jngsiggy.png]

(04-30-2010, 10:06 AM)jngdwe Wrote: For those who do not desire the music or cannot spare the bandwidth, a simple on/off button would be a simple fix.

I totally agree with you.

I belive for the rest of us it is worth implementing - at the beginning in a simple way - just an option in music menu. If this gains more approval we then let the mappers and server admins to choose their own streams.

Server's settings overrides map's settings, and client's settings overrides both.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every server would be have it's own, recognisable stream playing 24/7? And knowing that all players on the server are listening to the same stream as you?

That might desire some optional indications in the scoreboard (just a simple icon) that will show who is listening to the server's stream.

Implementing this would be no small feat. It's difficult to do and has few rewards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 675,269 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,192 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,805 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,383 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,148 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,107 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,607 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
Music Low interest in music development - why? unfa 28 30,049 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Jar-El
  I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork 98digger 3 5,716 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Orchestral music for Xonotic BuddyFriendGuy 9 13,972 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy