Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simple items

I wouldn't care if there was a GUI option for only simple shards, just so long as I could change it in the console.

For the colors, I have a suggestion. If you can come up with unique colors for the main core weapons(I think there are 7 excluding laser?), then you can do the special weapons the same color as their weapon group. For example, the mortar and mine layer would use the same colors, as would the nex and rifle.

Also one more thing to consider, then MG is on the way out, so you may want to pick it's color with the LG in mind. Unless you want the LG to be grey, idk, I don't have any sort of preference myself.

Are they gonna replace the MG with an LG? Didnt know that. Hmm what ammo does it gonna use? Also it feels quite wierd having bullet ammo for just 1 weapon(SG)? Anyway im thinking the same as you with the colors for the unmajor ones :-)

Gonna start making some sketches for you guys, just have to wait so i dont wake up my parents.

(06-09-2012, 09:01 PM)K__ Wrote: Are they gonna replace the MG with an LG? Didnt know that. Hmm what ammo does it gonna use? Also it feels quite wierd having bullet ammo for just 1 weapon(SG)? Anyway im thinking the same as you with the colors for the unmajor ones :-)

Gonna start making some sketches for you guys, just have to wait so i dont wake up my parents.

As far as i know, the SG is on the way out as well, the LG will use energy cell ammo, and the Nex will have it's own ammo.

Also, the SG already uses it's own ammo type. And the rifle will still be in game, but as a mutator, and there is talk of adding a chaingun super weapon.

Aa cool, weel im can make the simple items for the current release, if lots of stuff change in next release, then Ill just remake it.

If my items gets to master of course, as stated on this threads first page lots of ppl want to make simple items, so we simple pick the best wheen all is done :-)

Sorry, but simple items for shards only makes absolutely no sense at all. It's just an ugly hack to work around the bad visibility of specific models. That feature would mean nothing if all items were remade to be equally visible.

Why not work on the actual problem with models instead?

(06-10-2012, 01:58 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Sorry, but simple items for shards only makes absolutely no sense at all. It's just an ugly hack to work around the bad visibility of specific models. That feature would mean nothing if all items were remade to be equally visible.

Why not work on the actual problem with models instead?

+1 Exactly what I tried to tell before :-)

Okey, well I am now working on the items but when I looked in the data pk3 placeholder's I found that they are in iqm format. I am not familiar with this format and it would be nice if someone could tell the resolution and picture format I am supposed to make these items? I bet this is a 3D model format, am I right? Gonna try open it in blender and see what happens, but I still appriciate if someone just could tell resolution and picture format.

Thanks

You need to change the texture, not the item. That is, the *_simple.tga files.

As nifrek suggested, do a few tests with a couple items before texturing them all, just to make sure it looks the way you intended.

Okey, where are these located in the data pk3?

I made a sketch for some of the health and armor item.

[Image: sketch.jpg]

Opinions?

Nice drift. My idea to expand:

Health:
Mega: like yours
+50: like your +25
+25: like your shard
shard: just small red cross without a circle around

Armor:
+50: like yours (slightly smaller, no M on it)
+25: smaller still, arms cut off for better discernibility
shard: like yours

(06-10-2012, 04:19 AM)rafallus Wrote: Nice drift. My idea to expand:

Health:
+50: like your +25
+25: like your shard
shard: just small red cross without a circle around

Armor:
+50: like yours (slightly smaller, no M on it)
+25: smaller still, arms cut off for better discernibility
shard: like yours

But to be fair, I kinda like the geometry of current simple armor better.

Thanks for the feedback, the health idea is awesome, gonna make that. I might not making the shards to the armor much smaller, I can of course scale it down a little bit but I personally still want all items to be clear and easy to see.

I was gonna post a comment on that you miss some items, like 50 for HP, and 25 for armor, but rafallus already pointed out Smile
Good job, nice that you take your time on this issue!

On colors: I'd rather use the conventional color scheme:

Red: RL
Green: Mortar
Purple: crylink
Deep Blue: electro
Orange: shotgun <- you might skip this, cause shotgun will be removed, so...
Orange: Hagar can take orange
Yellow: Mg (this is questionable too, as it'll be also removed for the sake of arc cannon iirc)
Cyan: Nex
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I posted sth about liking current geometry of large armor better, I've fiddled with it. Results - small armor arms are pretty crude, anyone feel free to improve.

Added side by side preview.

.png   armors.png (Size: 6.62 KB / Downloads: 186)

Attached Files
.zip   Archive.zip (Size: 9.72 KB / Downloads: 6)

@C.Brutail

I know, it's just a quick sketch, I will remake all items to individual files when we decided how they're supposed to be.

@rafallus

I can't open the .dds files :/, I am on gnu/linux, do I need to install some library or plugin to open them? If not, can you please share a version in a more common format like .png or .jpg? Smile

OO, I can see them in the webbrowser, nevermind rafallus Wink. Well those item looked great, but in my opinion I would like something even more simple Tongue.

^That's a bit of surprise to me, but no problem - converted to png.

On second thought may have shrunk them a bit much (32 px per transition. Might wanna try 24 px)

Attached Files
.zip   Archive.zip (Size: 28.95 KB / Downloads: 3)

BTW, which resolution and format I'm supposed to save these files in?

Also, what I'd do with the weapon pickups: I think we have very good, distinguishable models ingame right now, so with bright colors, and the shape of the weapon, we might get very good, recognisagble and good looking simple items:

Rough sketches:

[Image: simple_rocket.jpg]

[Image: simple_mortar.jpg]

[Image: simple_electro.jpg]

(06-10-2012, 05:06 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Also, what I'd do with the weapon pickups: I think we have very good, distinguishable models ingame right now, so with bright colors, and the shape of the weapon, we might get very good, recognisagble and good looking simple items:

Rough sketches:

Images trimmed by mod.

Hmm, I don't really like that idea, sure they are quite recognisagble but they can be even more simple IMO.

I got 2 ideas for the weapons. The first one is that we having different kinds of more icon'ish items like how they are in QL and QW(http://www.primevil.fr/quake/simpleitems..._items.jpg) My second idea is having text as the item, like having a RL with big bold and under it is a scaled down icon of the ammo group. I prefer the first idea...

And again, can please someone tell me at least what resolution Im supposed to work with? :-)

As always, this is a matter of taste Smile I don't like the text idea either, but the icons are just "too mainstream" Wink

I get what you mean, but I prefer simple and easy on the eye before originality, sure we want some really cool ones for Xonotic, but they still need to fill its purpose. Again, which resolution am I supposed to save them in?

I didn't look at the models yet, but I suppose anything with powers of two will fit on those models. I suppose they are just square planes. 1024x1024 would be the least imho.

So, I'm gonna make really huge files?

Am I supposed to make black background or have that transparent?

Why not? The smallest texture size we use right now is 512x512

Okey, thanks. I am working on the health now Big Grin

I got a question, should I using the Xolonium font for the M or DejaVu sans, I think dejavu sans will do better, it looks more simple?

Oops my bad, I forgot they would be compressed to .dds in autobuild. Download this, unzip in data/models. http://ompldr.org/vZTgzYQ/placeholders.zip

Simpleitems are 256x256 tga's with alpha channel. Make them bigger of course, and export them to 256x256 for final files. Higher resolution ones can useful for other things (like possibly the spectator item timer feature that is in the work, or a new hud).

Nothing wrong with having a few different sets btw, I doubt people will complain about having more choices.

Okey, thanks, working with them in 1024x1024 Wink. BTW the ammo you made is really good, might only change the explosive ammo one. If you guys agree, the ammo can be squares, health round, armor triangle'ish, weapons little more detail :-) what do you guys says?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random items & loot Lyberta 3 4,276 10-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  simple Xonotic starter app Freddy 13 10,395 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Pendulla