Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kazdm5: Lost At Sea

Another map I wanted to publish since its done for some time now...

Lost At Sea [DM|TDM|LMS|KH|CA|Freeze|Rune|Keepaway]

[Image: Lost_at_Sea1.jpg]

[Image: Lost_at_Sea2.jpg]

[Image: Lost_at_Sea3.jpg]

[Image: Lost_at_Sea4.jpg]

I found this map on lvlworld.com where it reached the 4th place in a mapping contest in 2010.
What I did was correcting some texture paths (thx to divVerent here!), replacing adverts (they can be found in a subfolder in the pk3 anyway). Additionally, I added a .map file containing the converted .bsp (if someone wants to have a look at it).

Lost at Sea aka kazdm5 is a underwater themed level and has a quite nice layout. You might want to check the
readme files in the package to get more information about it. I wanted it here to be added for inspiration and perhaps for some nice games... Additionally, I think the map has a nice flow and offers some cool gameplay.

The only problem is actually that the spawn of the nex is replaced by the rifle (automatically, I didnt change that) and I had no idea how to change that. So, if someone knows about that, feel free to change! Wink

DL-Link: http://ompldr.org/vZDUzMA/kazdm5.pk3

Greetings

Do I have to sue my optician or is there indeed no download link? Wink
[Tue Aug 5 2008] [00:15:01] <Ronan`> RoKenn, you're an evil person Tongue

Again no download link? Oh debugger, you so silly ^^

I'm going to try out those maps as soon as possible heh
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

Oh god, how awkward, again >.>

I'm very sorry, Im somehow confused amt...
DL-Link added Tongue

To fix rifle nex problem...

You have to replace the entity weapon_railgun with weapon_nex (line 80473 in map file)

You can also replace weapon_shotgun with weapon_uzi (line 79680).
Then the cvar sv_q3acompat_machineshotgunswap 1 in mapinfo file isnt needed. This cvar makes the server impure, when map is played.

(03-25-2012, 04:32 AM)Debugger Wrote: I found this map on lvlworld.com where it reached the 4th place in a mapping contest in 2010.
Additionally, I added a .map file containing the converted .bsp (if someone wants to have a look at it).

Looks nice, however I hope you contacted the original author and got his/her permission to modify and re-release the map.
Maybe it will even be possible to get a GPL license on this if you ask nicely (for Xonotic integration as an official map).

Quote:You have to replace the entity weapon_railgun with weapon_nex (line 80473 in map file)

You can also replace weapon_shotgun with weapon_uzi (line 79680).

The problem is that I just converted the .bsp file into a .map file. In fact, I didnt change anything in the map file and I didnt recompile it either. If the weapon_placements were in the .bsp file, one could replace them by using a hex-editor.

Quote:Looks nice, however I hope you contacted the original author and got his/her permission to modify and re-release the map.
Maybe it will even be possible to get a GPL license on this if you ask nicely (for Xonotic integration as an official map).

I didnt modify the re-released map, I just made it working properly for Xonotic. Actually I put in some xonotic logos which can be replaced by the original adverts easily. And I asked for a GPL license as well and I wait for an answer... Tongue

Edit: In addition, there are some sounds Kaz used in the map (from freesound.org) which were distributed under the "Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license" in the .pk3.

You can save a .ent file from netradiant (not sure I remember how, maybe it's one of the compiling modes). That contains the entity placement and overrides the bsp's own entities. So you don't need to recompile the map, just move entities around in the uncompiled map and generate the resulting .ent.

EDIT: I made a quick search through the sources but I can't see anything. One thing that's for sure is that darkplaces has this command, sv_saveentfile, which dumps a .ent file that you can then modify. But you need sv_entpatch enabled on the client to read entities from that file. The default value appears to be 1.

EDIT: Hey! q3map2 has -onlyent, which you can use to patch a bsp with new entity placement. But I don't think there's a way to produce a .ent from netradiant (why?), so you have to load the map, sv_saveentfile, then edit it with a text editor and q3map2 -onlyent mapname.ent in the directory containing mapname.bsp to patch the bsp

EDIT: IIRC (but that's long ago), the entities stored in the .map are in .ent format, so saving a .map could provide you with a .ent to use to patch the bsp.

EDIT: Nevermind. .map contains uncompiled brush entities such as triggers, can't use that. Edit your sv_saveentfile .ent with a text editor then!

Who originally made this map? Will there be any credit for him/her? I think that would be nice. Also informing him/her that he's map was ported to Xonotic.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(03-25-2012, 11:24 AM)unfa Wrote: Who originally made this map? Will there be any credit for him/her?

"Kaz"! Big Grin

nice job porting ... the map layout is very good ... and the mini sub is adorable Big Grin

2 things though... it seems that none of the textures have normal maps ... I know adding these would require a recompile ... and the effort of making such maps... but it may be worth it...

also ... you forgot the bot waypoints ... this is not SP ready

That true, hutty.

I'd like to gather some reputation concerning this map (there is just a little chance that this can get an official map) so that I can see if it is worth it to work on it.

And indeed, there are still a hand full issues to think about/to work on:
* Replace rifle by nex
* Replace weapon_shotgun by weapon_uzi
* Add bot waypoints
* Perhaps consider normalmaps to improve map and texture visuals (which would definitely require another license; Ive sent an email to Kaz)
* Replace the existing sounds from freesound.org by GPL ones

anything I forgot mentioning?

Edit: Kaz sent me an email!
Kaz via Email Wrote:Hey Debugger,

I'd be happy to get that map into Xonotic and license it under the
GPL, the only problem you're going to run into is doing an appropriate
texture conversion, because many of the textures are modified from
id's missionpack textures. Let me dig around a little bit and try to
get you all the appropriate files and such. If I forget don't hesitate
to send me a little reminder email.

Hurray, that's classy!

Oh, nice!
I remember this map. Heart
somewhere

Okay this map does not need more brown.

.Danny. Wrote:Okay this map does not need more brown.
I think it looks quite nice and xonotic just profits from some variety. Wink

Anyway, I'm still in contact with Kaz who actually tries to get informed about the licensing thing with id-software and Maverick.
What definitely has to be done is redoing the textures (more or less all of them) as soon as the licensing is resolved.

For anyone who wants to have a look at the .map file, its attached to this post. Basically, we could start to re-do this map to make it an official map. But I might not have enough time to do it on my own, help is appreciated!

Attached Files
.zip   kazdm5_source.zip (Size: 327.45 KB / Downloads: 2)

Kaz asked Maverick gaming about the licensing thing:
Kaz Wrote:Maverick said it was cool to use it and remove the ads. You'll still need to remove all the id textures.

This means that we can begin now to re-do this map, remaking textures using id-content and removing the ads. Anyway I need still help to do all this stuff as im not that experienced...

Sources and help can be found within this thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/TDM/CA] Stone Sea _para 1 1,632 03-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Winsalot