Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Custom 'player' sprites and 'weapons'

Greetings!!
I have seen a few very cool mods online xonotic gaming servers that have custom player sprites and weapons... how can I get those on my local machine? is there a website to download them or something?

You already have them! They are in your dlcache directory, next to your config.cfg. You just have to figure out which file they are and move that file in the parent directory.

I have the zzzoverkill.pk3 in my dlcache, to play it in a local match do I need to extract the contents into the data.pk3 thingy. I know in another thread you said I need to compile the stuff in git, but could I use this method instead?

I will give the PK3 manipulation a try tonight...

No no no no. Do NOT touch xonotic-data.pk3. You only need to put the pk3 file into your data directory. Do not extract it, there is no need for that, that's exactly why we have the pk3 format.

Oh okay.

Confirmed... you need to place the zzzoverkill PK3 in the ~/xonotic/data/ directory!

I will play around a bit more (manipulating the actual data.pk3) file and let you know if the player sprite BOTs and weapons can be forced to be ONLY overkill mod based.

Thank you Mr. Bougo!

Thumbs Up 
Update... as promised, I have 'experimented' with the xonotic-data.pk3 file... knowing that the pk3 file uses the zip compression algorithm, I renamed the file to .zip, navigated to the 'models' directory and deleted the original 'player' directory. Then copied the 'player' directory from the zzzoverkill pk3 file (unzipped it first of course) and then renamed xonotic-data.zip back to 'pk3' extension.

Then voila!

PS: Not sure if this can be replicated for weapons... anyone else willing to give it a try?
PPS: Please do not perform this procedure if you like to also keep the legacy style bots (i.e. player models that come packaged with xonotic) Look at my earlier post if you want to have the original+overkill player styles.

I haven't stressed this enough, do NOT edit the pk3s from the release, that's just asking for trouble. There is NO reason to do this, you can get the EXACT SAME EFFECT using pk3 files, which is EXACTLY why we have pk3 files in the first place.

What did you try to achieve by altering the base pk3's?

EDIT: by the way, what you did there is considered cheating by the competitive player base and other people as well. Any modification of the original assets is thought to be an attempt at cheating.

I put the overkill.pk3 file in the data directory. How do I initialise it so I can play with the weapons, sounds and models in a local match? As it stands, the game is just running as normal.

for local games, you use git and compile it with the relevant branch checked out. the client pk3 does not have the gamecode, just the data. As of 0.6.0 overkill *data* is already included in the data pk3, making this pk3 shuffling and modding rather pointless Tongue

I am only trying to enjoy the game dude... and the changes I made were on a copy of the pk3 file. Just wanted to see how things work (without reading the release notes that is) Angel

And how is doing this for a LOCAL game (against BOTs) cheating???

Nonetheless, I will avoid it from now on. Tongue Cool?

(04-03-2012, 12:26 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I haven't stressed this enough, do NOT edit the pk3s from the release, that's just asking for trouble. There is NO reason to do this, you can get the EXACT SAME EFFECT using pk3 files, which is EXACTLY why we have pk3 files in the first place.

What did you try to achieve by altering the base pk3's?

EDIT: by the way, what you did there is considered cheating by the competitive player base and other people as well. Any modification of the original assets is thought to be an attempt at cheating.

For local games you do as you like, Mr. Bougo is just pointing out that using altered pk3's or data in online play is bad karma. Further its far more convenient to not change the pk3, but rather place additional ones or uncompressed files along side it.

Hey tZork,
Thanks for getting that cleared up!
I have actually reverted to the original PK3 and am using the overkill PK3 file in the data directory as it should be done.

Hey rocknroll237,
Once you place the overkill PK3 file in data directory, launch the game, and go to player setup - then navigate through the player models (overkill models do not have a preview) and choose the Robot1-3 or Soldier1-3 ... then go into advanced settings and choose 'force players to mine' or something to that effect. This will not give you a variety of BOT models though (in that you will only get BOT's looking like you.)

Sound effects were kind'a funny with that though lol

Big Grin

PS: As Mr. Bougo said, PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THE PK3 FILES... Wink

I placed the zzzoverkill.pk3 in my data directory and still nothing...

Now go into player setup and switch to your choice of player model... then also go into advanced properties and check off the 'forces players to mine' option... recall that overkill models do not have a preview.

Still figuring out how to activate the overkill weapons without editing xonotic-data.pk3...

Hmmm, still nothing. So, let me get this straight. All you did is put the zzzoverkill.pk3 file into the data directory where the config.cfg file is? Btw, I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Shouldn't matter with the OS or instruction length... I did not have to make changes to the config file - I only put the overkill PK3 file in the data directory.

After placing the PK3 in the data/ when you launch Xonotic, go to the 'multiplayer' window.. and then go to 'player setup' ... go through the available options for 'model' - you will go through Erubus, Gark, Egnus etc etc... till you see "missing Preview" error on the small preview window. These are the custom overkill robots/soldiers... once you have selected the one you like, go to "Model Settings" ... in the dialog box that opens up, select "Force player models to mine' ...

Did you follow these steps? What version of Xonotic are you using BTW?

Also, GOOD GAME !!! I sucked with the nex lol

(04-04-2012, 01:35 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Hmmm, still nothing. So, let me get this straight. All you did is put the zzzoverkill.pk3 file into the data directory where the config.cfg file is? Btw, I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

What data directory did you put it in? The one containing config.cfg? That would be data. The data directory has a subdirectory called "data", that would be the data/data directory.

Yep, it's in the one with the config file. Hmmmm, it's really strange. Just to confirm, I took the zzzoverkill.pk3 from my dlcache. Is that the right one?

Yes. Do you see the files if you type this in the console?
ls models/player/*

Update: zzzoverkill.pk3 has models/ok_player, which needs to be renamed to models/player for models to show up in the menu and be useable.

Done. Thanks Mr Bougo. Now... How would I be able to use weapons? Smile

As tZork said, the pk3 only contains assets, no game code. To use the weapons you need the game code. Get git and compile the branch tzork/overkill.

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

*rocknroll237 knows its time to get GIT...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how do i add custom playermodels RuneGalin 1 4,206 05-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: -z-
  Natural scrolling in weapons side menu Bla1 1 3,755 09-18-2015, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  How to fast swtich weapons zwz 12 11,367 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  How to include custom maps in Instant Action mode? Haisook 8 8,821 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Last Post: axe
  key bindings to rotate weapons after shooting? zim2dive 7 7,357 12-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Last Post: tZork