Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic (pre)history

(08-03-2012, 10:02 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 09:43 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: How about the story of Xonotic is that... it's just a video game where anything you want can happen?

I prefer the idea of a virtual arena, but this story seems to have been abandoned...

That would work well if there was some kind of singleplayer implemented into the game in my opinion. The multiplayer (Combat Simulator) in Perfect Dark was a form of VR combat simulation in that game's story.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(08-04-2012, 04:48 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 10:02 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 09:43 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: How about the story of Xonotic is that... it's just a video game where anything you want can happen?

I prefer the idea of a virtual arena, but this story seems to have been abandoned...

That would work well if there was some kind of singleplayer implemented into the game in my opinion. The multiplayer (Combat Simulator) in Perfect Dark was a form of VR combat simulation in that game's story.

So, multiplayer is training for singleplayer?

If Xonotic had SP, that had some sort of a story, for example, my scenario, then MP would use Lee's animation as an explanation?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(08-05-2012, 03:40 AM)aa Wrote: So, multiplayer is training for singleplayer?

That seems the wrong way round for me. If people played through the campaign mode before going online then there wouldn't be such a difference in ability online and you wouldn't get the 'how do you move so fast?/how do you do [combo]' questions coming up in online games.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

No, thats more of how it works in real life with players' skills. I meant in game naming.
The SP with a story is a "real" war. MP is a war stimulator for practice.

(08-03-2012, 02:26 AM)Micha Wrote: Take a look at Sauerbraten's background story. You'll find lots of inspiration there:
http://sauerbraten.org/docs/game.html#it...d_gameplay

From that link: Official game storyline: "You kill stuff. The End." - Actually I find it very convincing ;-D
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Can be shorter: YKS.(big dot)

Well, everybody have diferent views for video games. For some they are like simulations. For some they are a way to do things they cannot do in real life. For some they are just for training reflexes. For some a game is like a book or a movie. For others they are a way to socialize. Or to have FUN.

Everybody has his or her own filosophy.

I just think that a multiplayer only arena shooter (or a arena fighting game too) doesn't need a back story too much. Did anyone take much notice of the backstory in Unreal Tournament? I bet that unless you read the manual you didn't even knew it was there. Same thing with games like Mortal Kombat or Virtua Fighter.

Single player, story based games are a different thing though and they need some good background history and plot, but for games like Xonotic a consistent setting is all that's needed IMHO.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

xonotic pre history:

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT...
A BUNCH OF INSPIRED NERDS GOT INSPIRED.
THEN OTHER NERDS HEADS SWELLED AND TOOK IT ALL AWAY!
A BUNCH OF INSPIRED NERDS GOT INSPIRED.
XONOTIC ALL THE WAY.

or:

IN THE DEEP SECTIONS OF SPACE ...
BEYOND MANYNERDS STRINGS
THINGS BEGAN TO STIR!
THEN SUDDENLY!
NOTHING!
BUT ON EARTH!!!
xonotic was made
and all was good
yay!

THEN SUDDENLY!

t

:^

You are a poet./?/!/,/*

Thus I name You te most Xontastic bard of the universe!!!

I have a nice idea for the respawn thing, even seeing your own corpse laying around:
you don’t need any heal or reassemble of the dead body.
Before you enter the arena, some sort of scanner scans and analyses you and saves a copy of that data.
When you die, a new copy of you is created by some replicator and teleported to a player-spawn-spot.
The end.

It reminds me of... my version, posted above.|

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Easy-access FPS limiter and pre-tweaked motion blur Lee_Stricklin 9 11,812 09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Last Post: divVerent
Bug [SUGGESTION] A Simple Pre-release? Fossiltalk 27 30,328 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Fossiltalk
  [SUGGESTION] Pre-determined Player models based on Map r0tt 8 8,776 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Sepelio