Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] additional feature for NetRadiant - dragging faces

As it is possible to drag a face of a brush with CTRL+MouseDrag in GtkRadiant 1.4 and ZeroRadiant it would be awesome to add this useful feature also to the NetRadiant. It allows easy and fast terrain shaping as you can see it this video:

At the moment all terrain parts in the Xonotic maps are created out of simple patches which is rather ineffective because it creates too much vertices which slows down the computer. Being able to drag faces allows to shape terrains like this one:

http://simonoc.com/pages/design/mp/pom.htm

GtkRadiant 1.4 and ZeroRadiant are buggy and seem to crash very often (especially on Linux) whereas NetRadiant works excellent (I didn´t had a single crash yet).

A lot of people (from the Jedi Knight community) said that they are using the GtkRadiant 1.4 only for shaping terrain and GtkRadiant 1.5 (->NetRadiant) for every other things. "Merging" the helpful features (dragging faces) from 1.4 to the NetRadiant would make NetRadiant an unbelievable and powerful level editor.

NetRadiat is allready an unbelievably powerful level editor ... and yes ... I have crashed it. (but ... i've crashed pretty much everything ... xonotic - gimp - mspaint included)

anyways ... yes this is a good idea ... as long as its not the reason gtk radiant is crashy

The good(proper) way of making terrain is by using models
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

@TH3FTBOT: For those who can model, yes, but for those who can´t it isn´t. Wink And importing the map, UV-mapping and exporting the terrain is kind of intricate if you compare it to just creating some brushes.

Trololololol

I know it is old but i still use easygen for terrains.
[Image: nemxonsig.png]

(04-05-2012, 05:34 PM)Maddin Wrote: At the moment all terrain parts in the Xonotic maps are created out of simple patches which is rather ineffective because it creates too much vertices which slows down the computer.
So true, try export in netradiant into an obj file and anylize the whole meshstructure with some other 3d tools, a lot unused, not necessary verticies edges and faces, some extra caclulations for the xonotic server and client. D:

Unfortunately I also wants to point out it took me 5 minutes to get the same results and importing via misc_model. Not sure if misc_model is actually ressource friendly or not.

[Image: 6minuts.jpg]
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

Face drag is useful for so much more then terrain. That, quick-clip and so on (eg all the useful stuff that got axed for 1.5) is he reason i still use 1.4.

It´s getting slightly offtopic.

I should mention that dragging faces in NetRadiant isn´t only useful for shaping terrain. It´s one aspect, yes, and there are plenty of other situations where this feature can be useful.

And saying it again, it´s not everyone´s cup of tea to model terrain. I also don´t want this thread to mutate to a discussion about which method is better for creating terrain. This is a kind of request to add a feature to NetRadiant!

Edit: I see, tZork mentioned one for my point before I could post. Smile

The vest way (imho) is to go to verticles edit mode, select the vertices you'd like to drag, and move them.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

That´s how I shape terrain in NetRadiant (or Gtk 1.5) at the moment but it´s VERY scruffy, time-consuming and long-winded.

The best solution would be that the feature will be implemented sometime in the future. Probably divVerent could/would do that so I don´t want to hurry him up. Just keep this on the to-do-list.

Quote:So true, try export in netradiant into an obj file and anylize the whole meshstructure with some other 3d tools, a lot unused, not necessary verticies edges and faces, some extra caclulations for the xonotic server and client. D:

Unfortunately I also wants to point out it took me 5 minutes to get the same results and importing via misc_model. Not sure if misc_model is actually ressource friendly or not.

Brushwork and imported mesh is handled differnt by the compile tools.

misc_model is not ressource friendly.

Brushwork is the better way in general, unless you want to do things like vertex painting.
Unnecessary faces (vertices and edges actually do not exist in the map format) are cut away by the bsp pass when compiling.
[Image: 11436.png] (PLAY/Drunk/Rudi_Aut ^^)

Bump ,
any news on this ? I would love to be able to drag faces like this .
I have no signature . That is all .

chances of this feature hitting netradiant is likely very slim., but you can use zeroradiant for xonotic now iirc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Additional nuances to Crouch-jumping? Smilecythe 2 2,686 11-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Anti sore loser feature? rad dj flimflam 50 28,740 08-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
Star [SUGGESTION] NEW zoom in feature rainerzufalldererste 5 5,997 02-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Brick [SUGGESTION] Xonstat - additional stats in stats for more stats rad dj flimflam 3 4,398 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Antibody
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Pseudo-random faces. RedGuff 1 3,102 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] Feature - Download map in online wido 6 8,944 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Last Post: theShadow
  [SUGGESTION] package netradiant whit xonotic O.I.B. 15 14,205 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Last Post: esteel