Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum update discussion (Was: Forum down time April 6th)

Hmmm, what's with the notepad thingy?

RnR - I have no idea what it is really for, but it is there! I doubt many people are using it. I was able to successfully persist a "hello world" message on my own notepad. That will be the full extent of my use of it Tongue

Mr. B - I'll check my backup for those two gifs to see if the smoother ones are in there.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

It existed before, it had its own page in the user CP. Now it's on the user CP's home page.

These two are missing too:
http://forums.xonotic.org/images/dark_xo..._buddy.gif ([Image: remove_buddy.gif])
http://forums.xonotic.org/images/dark_xo...ignore.gif ([Image: remove_ignore.gif])

Attention!

Everybody please relog, or cache-reload (Firefox: CTR+SHIFT+R)!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Xonotic logos everywhere! Oh my!

When did that change? My cache just got updated.

EDIT: Hehe, it seems I had excellent timing.

The animated icons are distracting IMHO. Better use the locked icon in place, and have a padlock thing on locked topics?

Overnight Wink

Can you make better contrast between icons noting read/unread posts? They don't seem to be very clear at the first sight, like previous icons were.

I find it harder to distinguish the highlighted icon (new posts) with the other (no new post). Maybe I'm not used to it yet?

EDIT: gah, I keep clashing with other people's posts. What's up with that Tongue
EDIT2: btw I didn't need to cache-reload, a simple reload sufficed.

(06-07-2012, 03:24 AM)rafallus Wrote: Can you make better contrast between icons noting read/unread posts? They don't seem to be very clear at the first sight, like previous icons were.

Sure, but that'll come late tonight, I'm @ work right now, and I won't be home till 10pm or so FML Sad
Btw. it depends a lot on your monitor's contrast settings. At home, gimp it was all right, in firefox I could barely distinguish too (it was very late in the night too, so I couldn't fix), but here at work it is all right.

Reload again guys!

I'd suggest graying out icons with no unread posts, it still doesn't seem intuitive to me (it was immediately obvious in previous icons, these ones need having two for comparison - using FF13 if it matters). But flame is a nice touch for sure

Do we REALLY need this hot thread thing? ._.

(06-09-2012, 08:27 PM)Mirio Wrote: Do we REALLY need this hot thread thing? ._.

Agreed, it's kinda silly.

Currently the "hot" thread threshold is 20 replies or 150 views. That's kind of ridiculous.

I've bumped this to 100 replies and 5000 views.

(06-07-2012, 03:24 AM)rafallus Wrote: Can you make better contrast between icons noting read/unread posts? They don't seem to be very clear at the first sight, like previous icons were.

I agree - this is annoying especially for the large icons, they are hard to distinguish at first sight.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Once again, reload (if you didn't do since my last post).
I fear that contrast thingo is now personal settings that you use, because on my monitors (both @ home and both at work( that use default color settings they all look fine, and even more contrasting would make them totally dull.
I still can make the nonread a bit more darker though, in case I get even more feedbacjk that it is too bright.

To get a fair idea of contrast, compare the icons with default theme icons.

[Image: LVznn.png]

I think the desaturation on the default icon clears up a lot of contrast confusion. Look at the desaturated (luminosity) version of the image above:
[Image: Sn525.png]

desaturating the read icons would be a good idea

especially I mean these icons:
[Image: icons1s.th.png]
they are somewhat good looking on my home crt monitor, but on the lcd at my work they are nearly the same. Even on my crt I can't really tell if I'm looking at a single icon if it's the brighter or the darker one without seeing the other to compare.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Yeah, maybe desaturate just the read icon + make it a bit darker still, leaving unread one intact.

any new on the icons? I like the desaturated thing.

Feel free to send a patch.

ok, I made this:

Attached Files
.png   off.png (Size: 5.64 KB / Downloads: 74)

OK, I made even more icons (still unsure whether this is a joke or whatever), I slightly remade locked icons because I couldn't desaturate the red ring so I made the phoenix red instead. I assume that "old post" icons are the original ones because "new post" icons are completely bleached out, they look normal only because they are on a dark background. So I based everything on the old ones, they should be made the new ones or new ones should be remade also.

*one more reply because of attachments*
wow, love the auto-merge

Attached Files
.png   lock.png (Size: 5.56 KB / Downloads: 55)
.png   old_lock.png (Size: 5.55 KB / Downloads: 58)
.png   locknew0.png (Size: 4.12 KB / Downloads: 55)
.gif   lockfolder0.gif (Size: 1.25 KB / Downloads: 58)
.gif   dot_lockfolder0.gif (Size: 1.29 KB / Downloads: 57)
.gif   folder0.gif (Size: 1.25 KB / Downloads: 55)
.gif   dot_folder0.gif (Size: 1.29 KB / Downloads: 56)
.gif   hotfolder0.gif (Size: 1.29 KB / Downloads: 57)
.gif   dot_hotfolder0.gif (Size: 1.32 KB / Downloads: 58)

Honestly, I didn't expect this. Well done! Big Grin
Of course it was not a joke. Could you please remake the icons using the sources?
http://akion.planetnexuiz.de/xonotic/for...s/sources/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Forum Upgrades -z- 79 74,768 02-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: -z-
Exclamation [SOLVED] Development Tracker Down Antibody 7 9,795 01-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  Your Weekly Facebook Page Update CuBe0wL 1 5,726 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Last Post: zykure
  Forum downtime today Mr. Bougo 9 10,741 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
Information New restrictions upon forum signatures Samual 21 22,574 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Samual
  Automatic Update Script for Autobuilds Released Antibody 1 10,331 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unfa
  First development update - There's a lot to mention FruitieX 18 25,727 08-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Last Post: chooksta