Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone actually use the laser alt-fire?

Bug 
Huh

Laser has alt-fire?! O_O

I don't really use it at all and wouldn't miss it if it was removed. I personally think some sort of shot deflector would make a more interesting secondary, similar to how Unreal Tournament (99!)'s impact hammer (NOT the shieldgun from UC, UT2k3, or UT2k4) secondary can be timed to block shots by hitting them if you have the skill level to pull it off.

@ Vargos

Hitting alt fire pulls out the weapon you used last.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Hehe I think I brought this up in my suggestion thread, but I don't think it was addressed.

Oh and if you want something from another game implemented in Xonotic, why don't you just play that game Wink?

/sarcasm

In all seriousness though, I want shock rifle combo Big Grin

one can dream...

I thought about charging action for laser alt, but then I learned it already does something. But to be fair, it is still somewhat counter-intuitive to me.

The laser has a very useful alt fire, though it's not a classical fire mode: it switches back to the previous gun you hold in your hand, ensuring you can do a quick laserjump and switch back to the previously used gun.

Me, and I'm certainly sure other veteran players from Nexuiz times got used to this, and I'd see hate it going away.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(04-06-2012, 03:18 AM)Loafers Wrote: Hehe I think I brought this up in my suggestion thread, but I don't think it was addressed.

Honestly, some of your suggestions in that thread made me cringe a little. I mean, make the nex a shock rifle and remove the mortar? I thought you might have been trolling at first.

Back on topic though, I'd like to see the laser alt fire do something specifically for movement, though I'm not really sure what...Undecided

(04-06-2012, 03:51 AM)W4RP1G Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 03:18 AM)Loafers Wrote: Hehe I think I brought this up in my suggestion thread, but I don't think it was addressed.

Honestly, some of your suggestions in that thread made me cringe a little. I mean, make the nex a shock rifle and remove the mortar? I thought you might have been trolling at first.

Back on topic though, I'd like to see the laser alt fire do something specifically for movement, though I'm not really sure what...Undecided

It was half seroius lol...

There was iirc once a branch for Nexuiz that used the laser alt-fire as autolaserjump, but it turned out to be less effective than a self made one: it always did the same angle, and same height, so you lost some control there.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Idea? keep switching back? to the previous weapon on secondary mode of laser? But ALSO?? make a small puff of smoke appear? that does not hurt you??? but only stings your eyes a little????
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I've started using it recently once I discovered it existed...

(04-06-2012, 03:51 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: ...ensuring you can do a quick laserjump and switch back to the previously used gun...

i find it damn useful personally.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

What is the laser's current alt-fire? I've not started Xonotic for a few months Tongue

(04-06-2012, 07:41 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Idea? keep switching back? to the previous weapon on secondary mode of laser? But ALSO?? make a small puff of smoke appear? that does not hurt you??? but only stings your eyes a little????

+1

all the time, I tried to switch weapons with Q but it becomes insane when you try to to switch and jump, my brain cant take it. I wouldn't mind if it got removed but...

There could be improvement to Q key so it would ignore laser

(04-06-2012, 03:51 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: The laser has a very useful alt fire, though it's not a classical fire mode: it switches back to the previous gun you hold in your hand, ensuring you can do a quick laserjump and switch back to the previously used gun.

Me, and I'm certainly sure other veteran players from Nexuiz times got used to this, and I'd see hate it going away.
meh. I have 4 weapons mapped out to the mouse wheel alone(5 if you include the laser itself), and i switch to them on reflex so it's not like the laser alt fire would ever be faster for me. But if some people really do find it's useful, more power to them.

I also use only binds. I don't use it, but got no problems at all with it being there. I just ignore the laser alt fire, and it's perfectly fine for me this way.

It's also a start weapon, so it should not be super strong. Just a movement tool.. perfect.

I use it. I like to have a quick jump and back to main weapon. My pinky can find 1 very easily on keyboard. Other weapon numbers, not so much.
Programming is a branch of mathematics.

I use it all the time.

(04-06-2012, 07:41 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Idea? keep switching back? to the previous weapon on secondary mode of laser? But ALSO?? make a small puff of smoke appear? that does not hurt you??? but only stings your eyes a little????
lol

lol

I tend to use it quite a bit, very handy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] Locked down Xonotic build for use in schools? Shaun_Dark_Lord 9 2,111 08-22-2023, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Shaun_Dark_Lord
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,179 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  So...Does Xonotic have any lore? liquidjerome 11 8,037 07-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Last Post: aa
  What's this and why does no one write for it? Antares* 5 3,944 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Mario
  Teamspeak and/or mumble servers to use for Xonotic? rocknroll237 7 9,865 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Anyone tried Xonotic on a high performance android? poVoq 1 4,075 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SouL
  [Poll] How often do you use Rocket Launcher's Alt Fire? Loafers 9 8,954 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Majki
  Xplosives so reliable: How do I do rand(); or use it in quake C? XonoxSeven 4 5,292 09-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  Use Xfire and share Xonotic! Exitium 13 15,653 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Last Post: BARTUC
  g_balance_sniperrifle_primary_tracer 0 (tracer OFF) does not work. YouRemovedBallistics 4 4,893 03-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Akari