Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Brother Bot Support

Hi guys

I propose, that someone with python skills could make Xonotic compatible with Big Brother Bot (B3)

What is Big Brother Bot? It's program written in Python which has RCON privileges given by server owner. In his name he does various things. Like:
auto-teams
issue all RCON commands
and many, many other things.

It works on game logs.

Typical usage is simple. Server owner gives certain privileges to one or more users to issue commands with B3. Trick is, that user has no access to RCON. He can issue commands using B3 according to level he was given by admin.

so for example - you can give user a right to kick player.
Code:
!kick 12

typed in chat will tell B3, that this user wants to kick client 12. B3 checks if user issuing command has right to it, if so, he issues
Code:
rcon kick 12

Simple isn't?

And that's just a top of iceberg.

You can read more about B3 feature here:
www.bigbrotherbot.net/features

Someone already asked B3 team about Nexuiz/Xonotic support:
http://forum.bigbrotherbot.net/general-d...z-support/

Big Brother Bot is an Open Source Software project, code can be fetched here:
http://forum.bigbrotherbot.net/downloads/

Currently, B3 support a lot of FPS games, both open source and closed source. Over 1200 servers!

We have something just as cool already: rcon2irc. It's an irc bot that relays chat between the server and an irc chatroom. You can write plugins for it in perl to do the several different things that you mentioned.

But does it have database of players, their history and activities on server, IP collecting, and allows giving certain players "moderator-alike" limited privileges and most of all - has it Echelon to easy browse users and activity on server?

And most of all - does not require sitting in home and watching server 24h/day
Core work is done, only adaption of b3 to Xonotic is necessary.

[Image: 1.png]

[Image: 2.png]

Welp. I like low-tech tools better but I'm not a server admin, so...
I still think rcon2irc is still a very nifty thing to have.

And AFAIK the xonotic devs are more perl-inclined.

Quote:I like low-tech tools better but I'm not a server admin, so...

I have a lot experience in administrating multiplayer games. And typing commands in console + staring into monitor whole day is not a solution for me.

Admins would really appreciate admin tools.

When this game will gain popularity, lack of admin ools will be a serious problem.

(04-07-2012, 07:35 AM)Majki Wrote: When this game will gain popularity, lack of admin ools will be a serious problem.

honestly first xonotic needs much more players the average maximum atm is 60 player. even nexuiz has a higher average.

another for example on the dcc servers, there are several people with rcon access, which can kick and ban players and it's still working fine for several years now.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

rcon2irc is an admin tool and you don't need to type commands into it to monitor your server, just sayin'

I think you have right:
Quote:honestly first xonotic needs much more players the average maximum atm is 60 player. even nexuiz has a higher average.
But when Xonotic gains popularity, it's better to be prepared imo. Or admins will be left without so helpful tools.

Hello! rcon2irc is helpful! It's not a tiny hack, it's a modular automatable administrative system over irc. For example, there have been autobalance tests for it, there's a plugin to warn people with very high ping that they aren't fun to play with, etc.

Your bot is not the holy grail that will save all admins from a world of pain.

Quote:Your bot is not the holy grail that will save all admins from a world of pain.

Maybe that's why 1200 servers are using B3 lol. If you want to promote this game, it must be admin and servers owners (those guys who pay money for machines, run websites and promote your game by that) FRIENDLY.

Apparently, any line that I write that contains "rcon2irc" gets stuck in the pipes before reaching your screen. What makes coding B3 support absolutely essential for server admins compared to coding plugins for a system that's already built for xonotic?

Quote:What makes coding B3 support absolutely essential for server admins compared to coding plugins for a system that's already built for xonotic?

I have written that to you above. I have provided link to B3 features. I even pasted pics of Echelon Investigation Tool.

Quote:Apparently, any line that I write that contains "rcon2irc" gets stuck in the pipes before reaching your screen.

Mother of God - rcon2IRC requires IRC and activity by Admin. B3 gives you comfortable situation of administrating server after abuse has happened for example. It stores server activity and allows you to browse it comfortable in your web-browser. It collects data about players and so on.

There is a reason why other games are more popular - their devs take care of admins who are not nerds.

Ok ok. We got the idea. But I fear, this'll fall into a lot other cool things we could have... IF somebody would take the time to do it. Someone who actually enjoys it, not just making it because it needs to be done. Our development process simply doesn't work that way. Why you may ask? Because everybody does this in their free time, for free.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

B3 doesn't support xonotic, stores player history in database. rcon2irc supports xonotic, doesn't store player history in database.
What I'm saying is that developers familiar with rcon2irc will be better off writing the database stuff for rcon2irc than to learn and code for B3's parser interface. Either way there's work to do.

rcon2irc requires irc, so? B3 requires a web browser. One could even say that irc is the most convenient option since it's less resource- and network-intensive and runs just fine on any terminal, even a smartphone.

I don't see how B3 doesn't require admin activity. Does it read the admin's mind and implant knowledge back into it? Seriously though, just like B3, rcon2irc runs as a daemon service that reads the server log, that plugins hook into to run routines based on events.

Quote:Why you may ask? Because everybody does this in their free time, for free.

I perfectly understand that, I have translated open sourced games and programs, I know what is this to give my free time into non-profit organization. And I deeply respect voluntary work.

I have NOT said, that Xonotic devs are lazy.

All I'm saying, that b3 support would HELP a lot Xonotic admins. All it requires is writing parser in python. It can take month, 3 or half of the year. But I assure you, this will pay off.

Also, b3 have PLUGINS - it can make miracles, all it needs is a parser. And doors to incredibly advanced administration tool are open.

@Mr.Bougo
You obviously have NEVER run a public, busy, multiplayer server.

I indeed haven't run a server. I've assisted in adminning one through rcon2irc and it was a relatively pleasant experience.

I think I'll step out of this discussion. It's not very constructive for me to post in this thread anymore. I suggest you talk to a xonotic server admin to get their point of view on things.

Quote:I indeed haven't run a server. I've assisted in adminning one through rcon2irc and it was a relatively pleasant experience.

Imagine you have 20 slots server FULL 24hrs/day. Imagine you have network of servers, for example 8. Imagine you want to control this.

Dont you realize that that rcon2irc is enough for the server administration? it works fine for years.

there are simply not enough developers to add support of this program. so why not using something already existing?
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

this was suggested for nexuiz and rejected a billion times over
b3 sucks
if you are retarded enough to think
!kick is any easier then /rcon kick
please uninstall now
b3 is why servers have 12 year old "admins"

Quote:!kick is any easier then /rcon kick
please uninstall now

It's more than !kick. You can give privilege to a player to !kick without giving him RCON password, which can be very dangerous. RCON is used not only to kick players, you know?

Alright, I'm posting again because this is interesting. Xonotic has rcon_restricted, too. Admins can set multiple passwords for that restricted level, so restricted admins each have their unique "login" that can be removed without affecting the other restricted admins.

That's just one added level of privilege, but it's been enough so far. I'm not mentioning the vote master system because it requires the master to be connected to the server to force votable commands.

I think we need some input from actual experienced server admins to have this thread move forward.

I have been using b3 for a year as an admin. Levels are cool.

Let's say you have a community of players. Some of them just play, some of them play only on your server. You can give them very restricted privileges. For example auto-balancing teams, map switching, kicking, but no banning, or temp ban. You just use b3 command in game or click in Echelon.

"Moderators" don't have to login, b3 recognizes them by UID/GIUD/whatever Xonotic uses.

Server owner then can distribute levels at his own free will. No one will damage server by stupid rcon command, they can only do what server owner allowed them to do.

Can we please keep out the hatred in this thread?

B3 is not the holy grail of adminning servers. It can be a useful tool, but it will need major work to be able to work with xonotic. And trust me, I know, I've written most of rcon2irc and its plugins.

I also run a big deal of servers, and rcon2irc really is all I need. If you have the need for different admin tools, go ahead and make/use them. Most of us are probably going to stick with rcon2irc - simply because we've gotten used to it and it is more than flexible enough to accomodate our needs.

Over the years I have written quite a lot of plugins that have been requested by users, so if you're missing out on rcon2irc features - feel free to poke me.

There are technical limitations to what can be done with B3. First off you mention it works off logs - which is really a bad idea as Xonotic writes a pretty large amount of logs (previously I had about 15G of logs per day from just one server). Therefore logging isn't really such a great idea in the first place, so we made rcon2irc listen on a UDP socket which is much faster and allows for more flexible setups.

Afaik B3 requires a UID for players, although we have them these days, they are not mandatory in Xonotic. This would mean that B3 will need to be changed to accomodate for this behavior.

Also, we do not like Python. I don't want to get into a language discussion here, the fact is that none of the core developers enjoy it. There would be some large and messy parts that have to be coded in that language (for example parsing the nickname colors properly), that we are not willing to do.

I am not saying that having B3 support is a bad idea, just saying that we are not about to do it. If there is a request open with them to support our game, then please ask them to implement this. We would be more than happy to provide information they need to make their stuff work.
Before posting a reply, please read about the bikeshed.

I don't see the practical use of b3 compared to just giving the vote master password to people that you trust (so they can do vlogin password and execute a number of actions, whatever the server admin allows them to do). It sounds neat that you can manage rights via a web browser, but do you really need that? Why would you lend rights on your server to someone who you've never talked to? If you talk to him/her you can as well share the master password during that conversation.

Can i say something here rcon2irc is a totally seperat tool it does not do half of what B3 can do, by the tittle it looks like a tool to be used just to talk to people through irc more like a irc admining client good but not for servers. Any how maybe another tool for admining servers supported by Xonotic casue that aint the right tool for xonotic server admiring its an IRC admin client used to talk through Xonotic so people can talk to irc chat and admin it all from in game not special any how.B3 rocks yes i know i can set up and all but if no one makes it supported on Xonotic or Nexuiz Classic then it prolly will never happen since all the devs here have higher priotys to worry aobut than some server admins complaining about control over there server i agree with B3 and i think whats the point of a server if you cant control it really also B3 gives you server messages anti cheat and alot more plugins that you guys fail to realize and see and that's sad.Also check out HLSW that migh help you admin your server you can kick ban and all that from HLSW hope that helps and a little pointer, B# has rcon2irc plugin as well not same as you but has one you can get so why limit admins to that one thing right also you can make members and they can login unlike now the only way to tell a member is clan tag lmao.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Big Benchmark divVerent 172 246,955 02-08-2023, 06:05 PM
Last Post: tZork
  Module (music) support for Darkplaces (again) [test it] nilyt 8 8,405 04-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  bot navigation bug needs fixing zwz 0 2,623 09-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Last Post: zwz
  bot navigation mesh creator poVoq 5 5,832 02-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SOLVED] misc_model : Support for specular and relief mapping? Maddin 5 6,573 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  Bot waypoint format Nodenum 5 7,343 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Lord Canistra
  New Bot names nowego4 25 20,806 01-13-2011, 05:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  XonPickup - Xonotic pickup bot! atheros 10 10,764 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Last Post: atheros
  Automatic Bot Waypoint System Odin 16 28,738 05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Last Post: GT_Gene