Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Couple of thoughts from newcomer

Hi guys

I just played Xonotic for a first time today. Game is breathtaking. Everything is great, community is very friendly - good job!

As a person who regularly plays Urban Terror and as a newcomer, who has no idea what Xonotic is, let me give you some suggestions.

Anticheat

If you expect to Xonotic being considered as a serious game by rest of the world, you must have anticheat system. Serious FPS means competitive play. And competitive play means wallhackers, low-fov aimbotters, radars and all of the stuff. Fot example UrT has very strong leagues and they struggling to survive because of cheaters. Don't make this mistake, create AC as soon as you can. Game is too good to be ruined by cheaters. And they will appear as soon as Xonotic gains attention (leagues).

Better website

Current websites does not "sell" game. Look at the Warsow website or Urban Terror.

Social media and stuff

Facebook has 600 000 000 users. That means, that ppl love that stuf - create some system, the will help promote this game. Look at the examples:
http://dailynade.com/
http://www.urban-terror.fr/

If necessary, get some sweet CMS and create social-media alike website for Xonotic. Don't neglect power of social-media in promoting the game.

Go full throttle with current way of thinking

You are awesome, don't stop developing this game and implementing your ideas!

Once again - huge respect for you guys.

a new website is in the works, actually Smile
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Well we don't need to worry about wallhax.

How so?

Because xonotic's entities are culled on the server-side. This means that the server isn't sending the enemy position to you at all times, which is rather critical for effective wall hacking. I am not too knowledgeable about the other anticheat measures, but I assure you that there are plenty.

As theShadow said, a new website is in the making. It is coming along slowly but surely! I should know, as I'm the person writing it Big Grin

Also, take note of our stats system at http://stats.xonotic.org. Have fun and happy fragging!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Ok then - so prepare for low fov aimotters, who are almost undetectable with demo watchingSad

Already noticed stats, but I can't find myselfSad

Welcome to Xonotic Majki! If I remember correctly the old Nexuiz (GPL) hadn´t any system to prevent serious cheating and I I didn´t met a single cheater.
(04-03-2012, 06:40 PM)Majki Wrote: Ok then - so prepare for low fov aimotters, who are almost undetectable with demo watching Sad
We still have the stats page which should be helpful there. Wink If it isn´t a player like fisume or Kojn and has incredible aim all over the time it might be a cheater.
(04-03-2012, 06:40 PM)Majki Wrote: Already noticed stats, but I can't find myself Sad
What is your ingame nick?

Nickname is "Majki".
Quote:If I remember correctly the old Nexuiz (GPL) hadn´t any system to prevent serious cheating and I I didn´t met a single cheater.

For example in the evening in my timezone I see 1, 2 servers with more than 2 players online.

When you will have 300 servers online with 8+ players, everything will change. And cheaters can ruin every game and empty servers.

PS

"Metal Mapper" Big Grin I make maps for Urban Terror Tongue

On which servers did you play on and maybe time+map? Maybe you use some "weird" characters in your nick, so search does not really work.

I am here
http://stats.xonotic.org/game/17990

as "Majki". I'm not clickable. What could go wrong? Maybe some I/O permissions on my Arch linux?

And can you move fragment of this thread as a new discussion? I;m slightly off-toppicing now.

Open the console (shift+esc) and type the following commands and press return after each command:

Code:
cl_allow_uid2name 1
cl_allow_uidtracking 1

Then you have to play another game (-> Needs at least 2 players (You+ X) to be tracked) and we'll see.

Edit: We can move back to the real topic then. Big Grin No problem.

I already have them at those values. But I will follow your advice and we will see if it helpsSmile

Majki, you're still showing up as a an untracked player (note that you are plyaer#15, not a hashkey):

Code:
P player#15
i 15
n Majki
e scoreboard-score -1
e total-score -1
e scoreboard-suicides 1
e total-suicides 1
e scoreboard-deaths 5

Either your cvars are not set correctly or you did this in a match that already started.

So to be registered, I have to enter a match when it starts - ie wait current game to finish, aye? I will try to check that ASAP and report back.

No luck.

-cl_allow_uidtracking 1

This CVAR can't last till next game. I added it manually, because it was not in the config, after entering it from console.

You may have an issue with your keys. If those cvars are set properly and you're still not sending a key, it could mean there is a problem w/ your keys. What type of build and OS are you using? Can you see if you have any files named like "*key*" in your Xonotic home folder?

Arch Linux 32bit
Code:
[michal@localhost ~]$ yaourt -Qs xono
community/xonotic 0.6.0-1
    A free, fast-paced crossplatform first-person shooter
community/xonotic-data 0.6.0-1
    A free, fast-paced crossplatform first-person shooter (data files)

[Image: Rlgsb.png]

Ok, it's a poor Arch linux package
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29280

(04-04-2012, 01:10 PM)Majki Wrote: Ok, it's a poor Arch linux package
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29280

feel free to improve it!
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I have discovered vehicles today...

Breathtaking.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] What are your thoughts on wallclipping? Smilecythe 20 15,543 01-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] A couple of suggestions Lee_Stricklin 0 2,327 12-05-2016, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Two issues I want some thoughts on Smilecythe 5 6,526 09-26-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Thoughts and ideas regarding ELO stdi 2 4,945 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Some thoughts of mine on Xonotic Celroc 5 6,174 06-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Last Post: naryl
  [SUGGESTION] Random thoughts frostwyrm333 4 5,840 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] art style "your thoughts" mr green 1 3,323 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Last Post: mand1nga