Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exploring Ubuntu 12.04

(04-25-2012, 02:04 PM)BlaXpirit Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 01:57 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Seriously? That's a terrible thing to say in every possible context.

Many reviews imply that thought even though they don't say it openly.

I said it was a horrible thing to say in every possible context. Forget about linux. That sentence is nasty. Not only is it a gratuitious insult, but it also ends up hurting people that have nothing to do with the subject at hand and deserve no such thing to happen to them. If you want to tell the people who use gnome 3 that they have bad taste, use the words that say just that, instead of shaming people with mental disabilities.

Sorry, I'm mostly venting there. But this kind of stuff fills me with rage and I can't just stay there doing nothing.

(04-21-2012, 05:43 PM)Samual Wrote: Piece of shit.

It's only 1 hour and 21 minutes into this day and you have already made it for me. XD
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(04-25-2012, 02:21 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 02:04 PM)BlaXpirit Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 01:57 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Seriously? That's a terrible thing to say in every possible context.

Many reviews imply that thought even though they don't say it openly.

I said it was a horrible thing to say in every possible context. Forget about linux. That sentence is nasty. Not only is it a gratuitious insult, but it also ends up hurting people that have nothing to do with the subject at hand and deserve no such thing to happen to them. If you want to tell the people who use gnome 3 that they have bad taste, use the words that say just that, instead of shaming people with mental disabilities.

Sorry, I'm mostly venting there. But this kind of stuff fills me with rage and I can't just stay there doing nothing.
agreed. I feel the same way about people saying gay and fag about stuff they don't like too. It's not even criticism, it's just intended to be a blunt insult. And on top of that, it's only an insult to homophobes, so it's even less effective as an insult than most anything else.

(04-25-2012, 01:31 PM)BlaXpirit Wrote: KDE doesn't affect games' performance either. I've been playing many games, with Wine as well.

Actually the desktop you use can affect performance depending also on your hardware and drivers. The differences aren't big, but there are some. Here's a nice comparison of some popular desktops http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...ers1&num=1 you can see that on some configurations KDE gives the best performance out of those tried :-) (too bad they didn't check on xfce and lxde, as I think those would get the best results).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

I for one like the HUD option Unity 5 has. Also, Rhytmbox is kinda better than Banshee IMO.

I dislike the lack of panel dodging windows behaviour Unity 4 had. Otherwise, I think Unity has been really polished since the last version.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I did use xfce for a while ... but it had some issues (like randomly opening command prompts at start up) ... the small bugs piled up till it became unusable ...

It was fast though

also I do dislike the windows style panels and such ... so ... in kde ... I configured them to the death ... I also swapped around the win decoration arangement and added an allways-on-top-button ... that button is a absolute necessity ... thank goodness that pretty much every wm has one ... (except unity as far as I know)

I like kde ... but have no loyalties ... I will switch to anything that has
  • multiple desktops (sorry windows ... you our of the picture at square one)
  • stay-on-top window decoration button (sorry osx ... your out too)
  • dark window theme (double KO for winwin and osx)
  • panel attached to right side (unity forces left ... as far as i know)
  • widgets (stickynote - timer - calc - spellchecker ) (that knocks out most lighter wm)
  • key shortcut for effects on/off (window translucency is useful .. but effects hurt preformance) (compiz might have had it ... but i couldn't find it)
  • aerosnap style window docking (ouch ... that kills off gnome 2)

looks like I'm sticking with kde

I use and like Arch. I have used MANY other distros over the years. Ubuntu I tried at it's initial release and couldn't get over a lot of things with it and it is just another 6 monthly distro that you will have to reinstall down the line. I'm totally sold on the rolling distro concept and would recommend it to others. How you want to go about it, is down to you of course...

I use and like KDE. I have tried MANY other environments and window managers (CDE anyone?) and do use XFCE on a few older systems but still don't find anything I like as much as KDE. KDE4 is even good enough for a 1GHz system that I have. There's no reason to assume that one DE is inherently lighter/heavier than another. How you set it up is more important. I have also done benchmarks with Xonotic of KDE 4 vs. a totally barren xterm and even with 384Mb RAM there was no statistically significant difference.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(04-29-2012, 01:00 AM)edh Wrote: I use and like Arch. I have used MANY other distros over the years. Ubuntu I tried at it's initial release and couldn't get over a lot of things with it and it is just another 6 monthly distro that you will have to reinstall down the line. I'm totally sold on the rolling distro concept and would recommend it to others. How you want to go about it, is down to you of course...

I use and like KDE. I have tried MANY other environments and window managers (CDE anyone?) and do use XFCE on a few older systems but still don't find anything I like as much as KDE. KDE4 is even good enough for a 1GHz system that I have. There's no reason to assume that one DE is inherently lighter/heavier than another. How you set it up is more important. I have also done benchmarks with Xonotic of KDE 4 vs. a totally barren xterm and even with 384Mb RAM there was no statistically significant difference.

I'm sorry, but no DE at all an a minimalistic WM of about 2000 LoC with no background process and no extraneous dependency *is* inherently lighter than KDE. Be it in performance, disk space, or simplicity and elegance. That's pretty much the exact reason why I don't use those big DEs.

And then Samual had the worst OS experience ever and decided to take a six month break from computers.

It can happen to anyone:
Quote:After problems with a bug on his own system, Robbins halted Gentoo Linux development and switched to FreeBSD for several months
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux#History
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

XFCE was a good choice ... I did use it for a while (took a break from kde)

With a good gtk theme (bluebird) you can make it ridiculously beautiful ....
maybe I should take a look at it again ... they might have gotten those bugs fixed

I could use KDE but with nvidia-binary, Xonotic gives me more fps than KDE. They say that blob doesn't support some X extensions or whatever. Once I managed to derail nvidia blob, and KDE ran perfectly, but Xonotic did not run at all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux Mint to overtake Ubuntu? satuim 21 23,953 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: edh
  Ubuntu 12.10 got one thing right. Minkovsky 5 6,329 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  A Let's Players rig in ALSA/Pulse/Ubuntu Natty - how? Minkovsky 4 5,795 06-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [Will It Blend] TwinTech GeForce CUDA GTX470 1280 & Ubuntu 10.10 Minkovsky 6 10,234 03-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Debian VS Ubuntu, considering jumping distros Lee_Stricklin 33 48,046 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [Will.It.Blend] Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t & Ubuntu Minkovsky 1 4,091 11-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Spaceman
  ubuntu live cd+intel motherboard+western digital hardrive = hard not detected help jacob 2 4,132 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Last Post: jacob
  Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit Lee_Stricklin 14 18,484 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Roanoke