Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
about lighting

a couple things
1 -- I discovered rlights a few days ago ... and I am very fond of chronas ... is there any way to either add a chrona without a rlight ... or make an rlight with no light but big chrona?

2 -- Can I shine a regular light through a colored glass texture and get a colored shadow?

edit ...

3 -- not really lighting based but ... if I'm making a plant with a lot of leaves ... is it better to make polygon leaves? or transparent image leaves

Best way to find out the answers is to try it. But I believe you can cast colored shadows through colored glass using RTlights... there was a map in a church setting that demonstrated this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe a shader sprite?
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

1. Don´t know. You could make a rlight with a really small light value and add a corona to it. Try it out!

2. Yes. I don´t exactly know how this works but it is possible. Search for "coloured alpha shadowing" or something like that.
[Image: 220729882_9a77fbf986_o.jpg]

3. Definitely transparent image leaves! Saves a lot of triangles and hasn´t such a huge impact on performance.

Fun!

Wow, I am so ignorant about mapping!

#2 is done with http://q3map2.everyonelookbusy.net/shade...lphashadow iirc
tough lightmaps being rather low res usually, you may get better results from faking it with a blendfunc add decal.

ok ... thanks ...

about leaves ... assuming I have the same number of leaves regardless of which method I use .... wouldn't having many transparent leaves slow down the system more? (like staring through several layers of glass)

(04-22-2012, 04:39 PM)tZork Wrote: #2 is done with http://q3map2.everyonelookbusy.net/shade...lphashadow iirc
tough lightmaps being rather low res usually, you may get better results from faking it with a blendfunc add decal.

Aah, okay. I thought he was still talking about rtlights in 2.

(04-22-2012, 07:49 PM)hutty Wrote: about leaves ... assuming I have the same number of leaves regardless of which method I use .... wouldn't having many transparent leaves slow down the system more? (like staring through several layers of glass)
No, as far as I can remember transparent areas in a texture don´t have any significant affect on the performance whereas a different number of polygons have.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lighting works fine on -medium but comes out awful on the final pass.... Notavi 3 2,294 08-04-2018, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Notavi
  [PSA] Lighting is NOT spelled "lightNing" Mr. Bougo 14 11,460 12-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Last Post: aa
  How to make dynamic lighting Cuinnton 4 5,565 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Cuinnton