Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CTF Mapping Contest (by GlobalGamers)

Introduction
GlobalGamers Network presents a CTF mapping contest for the Xonotic community. Our goal behind this contest is to acquire new maps and to stir and challenge the talented artists of the community. Anyone is allowed to and encouraged to participate, and we're looking forward to seeing what you can do!

Guidelines
  1. The map must be designed primarily for core OR vehicle CTF gameplay, although the map can support other modes and mods, it must be primarily focused around core or vehicle gameplay.
  2. All content used in the map must be opensource (GPLv2+) -- no exceptions.
  3. The map must be new and original, and not released in any previous form. This means no remakes, and you cannot submit any maps you have previously made.
Further Information
  • The contest begins today, April 26th and ends 3 months later on August 26th.
  • Winners will be decided by a Google Poll which will be open for everyone to vote on the maps provided.
  • The top winners will be given prizes which we may or may not announce before the contest is over.
  • You are allowed to submit maps which were started before contest, so long as they were not fully released and of course are not remakes.
  • You are also allowed to submit as many acceptable maps as you want, however you may not win more than one prize.
  • The list of accepted maps will be compiled at the end of the contest period, after the mappers have submitted the "final" version for the contest.
  • It is recommended that you publish betas of the maps as you are working on them, and promote testing of your map to get input from the community.

Good luck to the mappers out there, and as always: Happy fragging!

Note: We'd like to apologize for anyone who was expecting this contest earlier, we simply had a lot of things going on and didn't really have time to organize it properly. For now, we just pushed it out quickly to get it over with -- and i'm sure we'll be updating the post if other questions pop up or generally to clean it up later on.

I don't know about you all, but I'm excited! Big Grin

Good stuff, this gonna be interesting!

Maybe if there are enough people who participate and releasing beta's someone could set up a server just for testing purposes? I'd love to see WIP maps grow to their final state over time.
Nice contest btw, I'll definitely participate. Smile

Sounds nice but I won´t participate as I already have an important project: the map "warfare", which will be overhauled in every way.

So Good luck and have fun! for every other participant.

(04-27-2012, 09:21 AM)Maddin Wrote: Sounds nice but I won´t participate as I already have an important project: the map "warfare", which will be overhauled in every way.

So Good luck and have fun! for every other participant.
Did you skip over the part where there are prizes which you could win?

Participate in this and work on Warfare later, people want CTF maps Tongue

Well I read it. Wink But which prizes exactly? You didn´t linked anything.

(04-27-2012, 09:36 AM)Maddin Wrote: Well I read it. Wink But which prizes exactly? You didn´t linked anything.
We're not sure yet, might not even announce them until the end of the contest -- however, they will certainly be worth while Tongue

How exactly do GlobalGamers relate to Xonotic? Just curious that they would sponsor a contest for us. Who's their person of contact in the community? There is no information on this :x

Quote:people want CTF maps
Actually CTF already got a decent mappool: attic, apace, mikectf2 and moonstone
But yea, more maps = better ofc

GlobalGamers is an IRC community that loves anything gaming. Our mission statement can be found at http://www.globalgamers.net/?s=info&p=about and the person of contact would be me. I am also on QN in #Xonotic under the nickname crimsaq. I am part of the support/community team on GlobalGamers. If you wish to connect to the channel on globalgamers, click on this link: https://webchat.globalgamers.net/?channels=Xonotic If you have any more questions about us, I'd be happy to answer them!

(04-27-2012, 09:46 AM)Samual Wrote: We're not sure yet, might not even announce them until the end of the contest -- however, they will certainly be worth while Tongue

not very convincing tbh Tongue
but anyway, i will try to find enough time to build something decent, i have some ideas already and just started to work on them.

(btw, in my opinion, the best moment in mapping is the very beginning, when you have some ideas floating in your mind or on some drawings and you begin to make them real, i love it)
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(04-27-2012, 11:40 AM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: (btw, in my opinion, the best moment in mapping is the very beginning, when you have some ideas floating in your mind or on some drawings and you begin to make them real, i love it)

yeah, its easier to think about ideas, then realizing them Tongue
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

To give reference, GlobalGamers hosted a deathmatch tournament on their birthday later in 2011 and gave first prize to fisume -- which was a gaming keyboard worth ~$100 iirc... the second place prize was selecting any of the newer games (worth $60 each normally) released at the time... IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

Lets just say, the prizes will certainly be worth while -- if we can't get any other sponsors, i'll just front the cash myself as a reward.. and i'm willing to put up to $200 into the prizes.

I will TRY to make a map too Smile

Not sure whether it will be any good (or anything at all), but 3 months is a lot of time.

(04-27-2012, 03:54 PM)Mepper Wrote: but 3 months is a lot of time.

dont overestimate the 3 months.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

let's do this. beginning in june because i'm still busy with school. Smile
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

after several days of mapping, i will be first to post something here, as a kick-off:

it's just a basic layout (not final yet), no fancy eyecandy at all. Basically, I want to make something different than my previous ctf maps, add more vertical action.

download link:
http://ompldr.org/vZG13eQ/abyss_a1.pk3

[Image: yY7N5l.jpg]
[Image: Tgjmsl.jpg]
[Image: V5uvGl.jpg]
[Image: JiwIJl.jpg]
Frogg on Instagram

That looks good already! Maybe I'll create something too or I'll work together with somebody if that's allowed.

Bugalert weeeoh weeeoh weeeoh. Tongue

turn it off Mirio, turn it off!! It's too early, this is one big bug so far Wink
Frogg on Instagram

Good job, looks promising.

I have also started a map. It sucks quite a lot already and I aim to continue along that path.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

sweet ... more motivation to finish up pyipelab

A super super alpha preview of the CTF map i'll be working on for the contest: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54224716/contest.pk3

Visibility blockers, cover object placement, colour, textures, lights, etc, etc, etc, everything but main structures is missing. It also has only 2 spawnpoints per team Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Invasion mapping contest Kotangens 2 5,527 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: end user
Lightbulb [Easy Community Contest]- Rank Yourself Ridgebeam 18 9,380 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Ridgebeam
  Mapping contest for duel maps (idea) RazorDodger 10 4,097 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,586 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para
  Mapping contests participation Justin 17 20,802 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 Mirio 81 75,165 08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: shogun_assassin
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 - Brainstorming SPLAT 15 16,430 06-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) asyyy 57 80,638 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Justin
  GlobalGamers CTF Mapping Contest Voting Samual 58 66,362 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Mario
  Speedmapping Contest Cortez666 12 14,932 04-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot