Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What's new in XonStat

I'm having enormously hard time finding myself @stats via search. Few questions:

1)Can partial names search be supported?
2)Can you sort player list alphabetically?
3)If search returns no results, can this search field remain visible not to force you to click back before you try to refine terms?

Here you go: http://stats.xonotic.org/player/1858
Tongue

A way to find you: Look for a game that you played lately.

I don't want to require a password for XonStat, ever. We live in a username/password-happy internet world, and I want to show that you can have a fun and useful web-app without having the friction of requiring credentials.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(07-30-2012, 07:31 AM)Antibody Wrote: I don't want to require a password for XonStat, ever. We live in a username/password-happy internet world, and I want to show that you can have a fun and useful web-app without having the friction of requiring credentials.

Totally agree with you, +1!

Hey everyone! You may have noticed a change in how the dates are displayed on the main page now - they are now relative!

[Image: relative_dates.jpg]

I did this to make the dates a little less confusing, given the stats server stores everything in UTC time as opposed to local time. For those that still like the absolute date, don't fret! I've added a hover that will show you just that:

[Image: relative_dates_hover.jpg]

I was also recently notified that the latest version of Firefox broke the styling of stats. I killed two birds with one stone by fixing that issue and also making stats look more like the main page of xonotic.org. I hope you enjoy!

Before:

[Image: before.jpg]

After:

[Image: after.jpg]

That's all for now folks. More changes coming soon!

[Image: me-gusta.jpg]

Firstly, I don't like the new theme, it looks a lot worse (text doesn't look as if it fits in properly). Secondly, can there a be an option to select a different time zone? I'd prefer having GMT instead of UTC...

GMT and UTC are the same thing. (EDIT: not exactly but the difference doesn't matter here)

Sorry you don't like it. I'm not going to change it back, as this version is much more compatible with all browsers (yes, even IE!).

As for UTC time versus GMT - you do know that UTC and GMT are for the most part synonymous, right? The stats database stores its data in UTC, so that's what I show. I could use javascript to localize the absolute timestamp (which is shown only when you hover), but I really think that's overkill.

UTC is 1 hour behind GMT.

I understand why you've changed the theme but I feel that the text shouldn't be in italics....

Look here: http://stats.xonotic.org/player/142

The 'player information' text looks a bit shoddy and doesn't look as if it's in the centre either.

EDIT: OMG, what's happened to the awesome backgrounds on the pages?

The title needs a text-shadow probably, and the player's name should probably be up there too. That can be done. It is already centered. My main goal was to fix the breakage introduced by the recent Firefox update.

(09-05-2012, 12:18 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: UTC is 1 hour behind GMT.

That's wrong. GMT is UTC+00:00: Coordinated Universal Time#Definition and relationship to other standards

Well, I look at a match taken place just a few minutes ago and then I look at my clock and the Xonstat time is 1 hour behind.

That's because the listed time is in UTC, and you're in UTC+1 due to DST (daylight saving time). Your timezone is probably WET (Western European Time) which is currently observing WEST (Western European Summer Time), i.e. UTC+1 or GMT+1.

AFAIK the difference between UTC and GMT is that one of them uses daylight saving time and the other doesn't (dunno which though).

BTW: I think this all time business would be a lot easier if the whole world used only 1 timezone and without any dst.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

It would also be easier if we all had the same rules and we all spoke English. Tongue

(09-06-2012, 05:46 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: AFAIK the difference between UTC and GMT is that one of them uses daylight saving time and the other doesn't (dunno which though).

BTW: I think this all time business would be a lot easier if the whole world used only 1 timezone and without any dst.

Nope, GMT is not a timezone in that sense. It's a reference time and it has been superseded by UTC which is now the universal time standard. GMT does not suddenly jump for DST. Read the Wikipedia link I pasted above.

Timezones are useful. Can you imagine the linguistic implications of "midnight" in UK vocabulary meaning the middle of the afternoon in the USA? It would make communication and travel more complicated.

EDIT: Whoa, so this is the main Xonstat thread. Let's stop this right here, I'm sorry about being offtopic myself.

I've just introduced localized time strings when you hover over relative times:

[Image: localtime_hover.jpg]

This is done via Javascript after the bulk of the given page is loaded. The time will be shown in UTC on hover if you happen to have Javascript turned off.

Enjoy!

Awesome! Thanks Antibody.

The only thing you need to do now is to change the new text headings and bring the awesome space background back! A plain black background isn't as cool... Sad

I've added a text shadow to the headings and gave it a bit more spacing already.

The background isn't pure black, it's this: http://stats.xonotic.org/static/css/img/...ound_2.jpg. While I'm not going to change it back to the other one (http://stats.xonotic.org/static/css/img/...ground.png), I am open to suggestions for another spacey-one to use instead!

Edit: url formatting (sorry!)

(09-11-2012, 12:00 PM)Antibody Wrote: I've added a text shadow to the headings and gave it a bit more spacing already.

First: Your links are broken because of some characters that are pulled into the URL.

And yes, the title looks decent now, even though it is written in italics (it looked a bit "off" at first, but now it's okay) Smile
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Ahh, I can make out a background now (although there is too much black on the lower parts of the pages if you ask me). How about flipping the image so it's portrait instead of landscape? Just out of interest, what would my page http://stats.xonotic.org/player/142 look like if it didn't have that slightly opaque black background behind the objects? I'm curious...

Also, must the letters be in italics? They'd look much better if they weren't...

The titles don't have to be italic at all! I can make them regular.

As for the background, I could go and look at images from NASA for more to use. I'd most likely have to desaturate them a lot though, because Chrome and Firefox implement background-image alpha channels differently. I'll see what I can do.

i am happy not playing for stats but for fun Big Grin

(09-11-2012, 04:17 PM)noteven Wrote: i am happy not playing for stats but for fun Big Grin

Ill tell you a little secret:Some of us are playing for fun and are also having fun browsing some stats to see how they are performing Smile.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XonStat turns 1! Antibody 13 12,028 10-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Last Post: harry_ftw
  XonStat FAQ Antibody 2 4,741 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Antibody