Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM]f.i.su.m.e.

A small duel map made in 2 days.
No eyecandy, because the duel player use picmip anyway.

[Image: 931qmf2i6vojc7yljsj4_thumb.jpg]

Download link:
http://ompldr.org/vZGw2OQ/fisume.pk3
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

It's hosted on my server.

I like the overall simple layout. I hate the color and lighting though. I know you made if for picmap users, but I'm sure there are some duelers that don't use picmap(I'm one of them). I'd say it's unplayable due to the brightness of it. It makes the glowing mega erebus and items harder to see, and it's just a headache waiting to happen.

I'd like some eye candy, but at the very least, darken it up just a bit plz.

What W4RP1G said. Good layout but lack of detail plus it being too bright are glaring problems. At the very least it needs to be darker.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

:]
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I agree with the others.

pros:
- layout which has potential

cons:
- no bot waypoints
- no VIS optimisation, therefore bad performance for such a simple map
- item placement probably needs some improvements/changes
- no eye candy, not even a little! C´mon boy, you can design a map so that both groups of players, casual and competitive ones, have fun playing a map!
- too bright and monotonous lighting

In general this map looks more like a pre-alpha concept of a map than a finished one.

(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: cons:
- no bot waypoints
honestly this is a multiplayer so why the do you want to play with bots?
Ok, you are from the BOT clan halogene's statement from my signature might a apply to you Tongue

(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: - no VIS optimisation, therefore bad performance for such a simple map
Why the hell is this needed on a small minimalistic map? no details no need for VIS optimization.

(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: item placement probably needs some improvements/changes
It has been tested in a 1v1

(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: no eye candy, not even a little! C´mon boy, you can design a map so that both groups of players, casual and competitive ones, have fun playing a map!
Never heard of minimalism as a concept?

(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: - too bright and monotonous lighting
if its too bright turn of bloom and use the standard gamma settings.
well why do you need complex lighting on such a map?

If my answers are not what you want to hear, then stop complaining and do it yourself. the map source is included
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Way to take criticism, Cortez. You're complaining more than Maddin is.

(05-01-2012, 06:19 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Way to take criticism, Cortez. You're complaining more than Maddin is.

well, my problem is people just talk about things and how they should be done, but when it comes to doing something everyone is suddenly very busy.

Smile Cortez, take it as a chance and improve your map. It seems like you don´t like to hear criticism...

Cortez666 Wrote:honestly this is a multiplayer so why the do you want to play with bots?
... because when you´re alone on a server and are waiting for players bots come in handy and prepare you for the fight.

Cortez666 Wrote:Why the hell is this needed on a small minimalistic map? no details no need for VIS optimization.
Sorry, but that´s wrong. VIS optimisation also helps to hide triangles of normal walls which DOES improve performance.

Cortez666 Wrote:It has been tested in a 1v1
Ok, I believe you that it was tested and that the placement is good but reaching the perfection should be the goal.

Cortez666 Wrote:Never heard of minimalism as a concept?
I did. And that was one thing I meant. But your map looks more like some boxes than a map with minimalist design if you say it in a bit rude way.

Cortez666 Wrote:if its too bright turn of bloom and use the standard gamma settings.
I do use the standard gamma settings, plus it shouldn´t be the goal to disable specific effects to make the map look adequate.

Cortez666 Wrote:If my answers are not what you want to hear, then stop complaining and do it yourself. the map source is included
Sorry man, but why do you then present us the map here and wait for some constructive criticism?Undecided

(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: ...
- no eye candy, not even a little! C´mon boy, you can design a map so that ...

Gratz Cortez, your bait was taken Wink

(05-01-2012, 06:42 AM)Maddin Wrote: ... because when you´re alone on a server and are waiting for players bots come in handy and prepare you for the fight.
i dont want to argue about that again. the same discussion was already in the fracture thread. i wont add waypoints, because they dont reached a point where they are a good competition.

(05-01-2012, 06:42 AM)Maddin Wrote: VIS optimisation also helps to hide triangles of normal walls which DOES improve performance.
yeah thats true but the map needs a certain to profit from the vis optimization, as there are nearly no triangles, there is no notable effect.
One frame more or less per sec doesnt matter.

(05-01-2012, 06:42 AM)Maddin Wrote: Ok, I believe you that it was tested and that the placement is good but reaching the perfection should be the goal.
well i asked duel players about their opinion add my experience, watched a 1v1 on this map, got feedback and optimized it again. For me it very useful this way. Sentences like 'item placement probably needs some improvements/changes' are not useful, because a) it's a random phrase, which could be applied to every map and b) it doesnt have a real connection to this map.

(05-01-2012, 06:42 AM)Maddin Wrote: But your map looks more like some boxes than a map with minimalist design if you say it in a bit rude way.
for me the minimalism is just a way to reduce it to the basics. Not more then needed and yes it ends up with boxes.

(05-01-2012, 06:42 AM)Maddin Wrote: I do use the standard gamma settings, plus it shouldn´t be the goal to disable specific effects to make the map look adequate.
the current bloom is broken, it makes everything just bright.

(05-01-2012, 06:42 AM)Maddin Wrote: Sorry man, but why do you then present us the map here and wait for some constructive criticism?Undecided
i just present the map that people can play it. gameplay is always more important then visuals. As i said in the first post it was just a quick distraction project from my dm3 remake.
One thing i totally doesnt like are random phrases, and then expecting me to react. For example
More eyecandy!!!1 Ok, you want more eyecandy, but what do you have in mind?

"If you would elaborate your arguments/comments more it would help people to understand you better." I guess you remember this sentence Wink

(05-01-2012, 07:26 AM)tZork Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: ...
- no eye candy, not even a little! C´mon boy, you can design a map so that ...

Gratz Cortez, your bait was taken Wink
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...2#pid37022

Actions speak louder than words!

Sorry that I want to help you! Undecided

Do as you like, if you don´t want my help then that´s not my problem. *sigh*

obviously, and i been tempted to make "nekkid" maps myself for that reason. my comment was mainly due to me getting surprised over Maddin making that comment given the maps intro post already stated its not intended to have any of it. Anyways, as far as the concept he speak of goes, that maps can satisfy both directions, i agree and that's how i tend to try and make my stuff too. But this is clearly not meant like that. im sorta interested to see where this goes, if it does lead to more focus on gameplayability™ or if it just means maps as fugly as 1337 players configs on everyone's rigs Tongue

I use low gamma and brightness, no bloom. Don't believe me? Look at this :

That's how hubaeroq3a looks for me with gamma so low(my normal settings).

It's not my settings, the map is too bright. I think just about everyone in this thread has agreed with that point too. I like the layout and I get that bot waypoints are hard to take serious in a map designed for competitive dueling. But I'm not exaggerating or trying to be a jerk when I way the map is so bright that it's almost unplayable.

I think using darker textures and possible toning down the well lit areas would go a long way towards making it easy on the eyes and creating a better atmosphere.

We really could do with a bloom brightness slider in the settings menu and/or this feature.

i killed a lot of light spots and turned down many.
if you still have a problem with the bright the map source is included. feel free to play around and try to make your own.

link is in the first post

Brightness is OK for me (no bloom).
somewhere

(05-01-2012, 02:46 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: i killed a lot of light spots and turned down many.
if you still have a problem with the bright the map source is included. feel free to play around and try to make your own.

link is in the first post

Definitely an improvement. The spots where the light hit the wall are still pretty bright, but I'd say the map certainly is playable now.

The updated version is available on my server. Anyone who wants use my server to play the updated version needs to delete the previous version first(if they have it).

Owch. You should bump the map version with a new filename for the bsp and lightmaps, and the pk3 as well, cortez.

Good work there.Looks like an duel map with very fluid action and ALOT of frags per match Smile

Cortez666: You're awesome! This map is the best, love the gameplay and the minimalism makes it uniqe. Don't get what Maddin is saying about the item placement, it is awesome IMO!

minimalism makes it uniqe?

... since when?

... or have you not played nexuiz...

Nope! Tongue I haven't played Nexuiz.

But, IMO gameplay is most importent on maps, and this is the only map in Xonotic which is completly minimal in terms of visuals of the maps I've seen so far.

Why I like this map so much especially is beucase he shows off what true mapping skills are, visuals is awesome, but visuals doesn't make a map fun if it got horrible gameplay.

Absolutely true. But it should be the goal to attempt both, great visuals and a good gameplay. Anyway I wanted to hold my tongue on this topic... Rolleyes