Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange saying ...

"You can't have your cake and eat it"

I have never quite understood this saying. Or more precisely, the ordering of predicates with regard to the subject. See, because, when I have a piece of cake, I can, in fact, still eat it.

"You can't eat your cake and still have it."

This version, I've heard used only once. It was instantly more understandable than the one previous, for obvious reasons; but every time this analogy is used, it is almost always that first version.

Excuse the random thought, I didn't realize I had it lying around in the back of my head; just thought I might share it ... Tongue
How long is a piece of string?

Once saying I never quite understood was 'He who starts ridiculous threads shall face the wrath of the Bougo'...

(06-07-2012, 04:14 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Once saying I never quite understood was 'He who starts ridiculous threads shall face the wrath of the Bougo'...

That's me!

Welcome to the Off Topic section. Moderately silly threads are fine here. Super silly threads go in Whackity Wicktown. I think this thread is okay!

BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN!!

You can't have MY cake and eat it.
Fix'd Big Grin

(06-08-2012, 12:32 AM)tZork Wrote: You can't have MY cake and eat it.
Fix'd Big Grin

But can YOU?

Sure, having eaten it, it is still in my possession (be it for a limited time... but lets not discuss the implications of that ; ). Just not in its original form Tongue

At which point in digestion does a cake stop being cake? Until then, you can always have it. Discuss.

A fair point! Tough it could be argued that you cannot keep the cake at all indefinitely as it would, in the long run, be subject to degradation regardless of consumption.

So (have?) we arrived the the sad truth: You cannot have the cake.

Thats wrong.
You can have the cake - but it wont be yours forever (in its cake-state).

Furthermore, if I eated Your cake, it'll move over onto my posession. But still - it's your ownership.
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

So... given metabolism, if you eated my cake i would in fact partially own you? Interesting!

(06-07-2012, 03:40 PM)anark10n Wrote: "You can't have your cake and eat it"
It's a lie :p

"You can't have your money and spend it"

The popular atrribute 'inflatable hover fort' immediately popped into my conscience and made me post this video of the wonderful David Mitchell:

"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(06-08-2012, 02:28 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: At which point in digestion does a cake stop being cake? Until then, you can always have it. Discuss.

Biology class this, let's see if i remember the lessons correctly. When food leaves the mouth, assuming it has been chewed properly, it enters the stomach where all the acid action occurs. On leaving the stomach it enters the small intestine (specifically the duodenum) in a semifluid mass called chyme. it therefore no longer cake in its original form but it consitiuents. Meaning you could have eated those ingredients that make a cake, but not in fact have eated cake. Big Grin

So - having the cake, means having it in its cohesive, baked and flavourful whole, while eating the cake reduces it to no more than carbohydrates, sugars, fats, which is largely the same thing as having buttered bread.

So you can have your cake, chew on it and spit it out.

It would still be cake, I'd think. Will that still count as cake though? I mean, what a cow regrugitates what its eaten it isn't called what it was going down the first time is it? Granted spitting it out isn't the same as rummination, but i mean when bring food back up it's never called what it was going down the first time. In any case, it still begs the question would you eat what you spat out?

You can lick your cake and have it too.

"Take a crap/dump/s***"

Doesn't make sense because you aren't taking it from anything. "Leave a s***" would make more sense. Or "Give a s***", but that means something else(which also doesn't make much sense).

I prefer to say "pinch a loaf" as it puts a very graphic image in the mind Tongue

What's with all the spam these days? Is it in honour of the Trololol guy? T.I.P. (Troll in peace) Eduard Khil... Angel

Wait wait wait. You got it all wrong.

See, the cake does not exist. It is in fact, a lie, so to speak. What does in fact exist, is the information about the cake in the two-dimensional plane from which the holographic universe is being projected, including said cake (which in space is illusion, and on a plane is information, therefore never assuming a real form, therefore a lie).

Therefore you can neither eat the cake nor have it.

Now, let's move on to pies...
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

[Image: The_Cake_is_a_Lie_by_IIX4II.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tastefully Offensive: Try Saying... The mysterious Mr. 4m 3 4,210 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Last Post: theShadow
  A new "strange fork" project from Nexuiz BARTUC 11 15,273 11-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  Strange Attraction The mysterious Mr. 4m 7 6,113 07-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Slup
Bug Strange Xonotic GIT... bug? unfa 0 2,719 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Last Post: unfa