Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DISCUSSION] Internet priority

For some reason, don't know why, my internet has a very low priority in my house. Even someone using wifi will totally kill my internet, and make it almost impossible to play Xonotic (200 ping, 25% pl). So I wanted to give my computer absolute priority on the internet, so I can play Xonotic whenever I want without lagging a lot.

I searched a bit on google how to set up (or just configure) internet priority, and the only thing I really found was QoS.

I found this thing somewhere in my settings:
[Image: Knipsel.PNG]

Does this mean I already have it? It says I can "verwijderen" -> delete. But also "Installeren" -> install. If I click install it says I can install a "client" "service" or "protocol". Some site I found with google said you just had to click on service, and then ok, but it asks you to choose some sort of networkservice. Anyway, it doesn't work, and I don't really get how this is supposed to be working.

Edit: I'm using Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. If you would need to know that

Can someone plz help me.

Don't delete it.

From Microsoft, on the XP version of QoS:

Quote:[...] There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. 100% of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20% of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host. [...]
The full text can be found here. This article deals specifically with the Windows XP implementation of QoS, but it almost certainly applies fully to Windows 7 as well. I would not suggest disabling Quality of Service.

The point with QoS on any system is that it controls only the outgoing traffic. Meaning you can have it enabled on all end hosts and it will not give you anything.

What you can do though is poke in your router settings. Most of even the mid range home routers can do QoS (outgoing in the direction from the router to the LAN and from the router out to the internet). A simple rule like 'reserve 80% of incoming bandwidth to your host ip' should be sufficient. You might want to customize it later though.

There's also the sad truth about QoS - the time and effort needed to ideally set up all the rules that you possibly need is more that the cost of just getting a faster connection ;-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

That's quite a few services for one connection. Do you need to log on to a Windows network domain using it? Do you need to share printers and files over it? Do you use IPv6 internally on your home network? Do you use the network discovery tools? While it probably will make no real difference to Xonotic, I would disable the stuff that isn't required.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

You need to enable QoS at your router, not at your local machine.

Quote:There's also the sad truth about QoS - the time and effort needed to ideally set up all the rules that you possibly need is more that the cost of just getting a faster connection ;-).
Takes about 15-20 minutes with a decent firmware like tomato for someone who starts from scratch.

(05-22-2012, 05:46 AM)asy7um Wrote: You need to enable QoS at your router, not at your local machine.

Quote:There's also the sad truth about QoS - the time and effort needed to ideally set up all the rules that you possibly need is more that the cost of just getting a faster connection ;-).
Takes about 15-20 minutes with a decent firmware like tomato for someone who starts from scratch.

That actually is about an enterprise grade setup.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

The only option I found truly usefull is hfsc with a real-time priority for the game traffic. Other schedulers don't keep ping flat :/ But it means quite complex setup on the router.

I think I found it now Smile

One thing, just out of curiosity? How much internet does playing Xonotic cost? If I just play online, how many kB/s do I download, for just playing?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink [NEEDS INFO] Internet crash 5 - 10 minutes into match Serok 4 5,081 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Serok
  [NEEDS INFO] Internet connection lost when launching game As1anSwagger 7 9,966 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo