Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC focused, fast-paced, mmo-ish FPS from DOOM/Quake dev

Article

Over a month old but it's news to me.

So, is he trying to finally make the game he imagined as Quake? Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Another game you might want to watch for is Steel Storm's sequal which is inspired by Doom and Quake and I believe runs off of DarkPlaces (the same engine that powers Xonotic).

http://two.steel-storm.com/

(05-16-2012, 05:31 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: So, is he trying to finally make the game he imagined as Quake? Big Grin
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. yeah right
Looks like it. Shockingly his version of Quake was going to be more of a fantasy RPG, but most of those elements got scrapped and wouldn't be used until an awesome little game called Daikatana hit the streets.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Has there ever been a successful fps mmo?

(05-17-2012, 09:56 PM)Loafers Wrote: Has there ever been a successful fps mmo?

Yeah actually there has. Three examples off the top of my head are Planet Side (which has been around for over a decade now and is about to get a sequal), MAG (aka Massive Action Game), and War Rock. Tribes 2 could also have been considered an MMO during it's hey day because it supported 128 players on a single map on a single server. Another MMO FPS called Dust 514 is predicted to be very successful as it already ties into, and makes an impact, on EVE's game universe. Unfortunately, it's only hitting the PS3. I'm pretty sure quite a few others exist as well, especially in South Korea.

Oh wait.

(05-16-2012, 10:04 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Another game you might want to watch for is Steel Storm's sequal which is inspired by Doom and Quake and I believe runs off of DarkPlaces (the same engine that powers Xonotic).

http://two.steel-storm.com/

(05-16-2012, 05:31 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: So, is he trying to finally make the game he imagined as Quake? Big Grin
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. yeah right
Looks like it. Shockingly his version of Quake was going to be more of a fantasy RPG, but most of those elements got scrapped and wouldn't be used until an awesome little game called Daikatana hit the streets.

Haha, I was going to mention Daikatana... I wonder if this will be the same scenario.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(05-17-2012, 10:45 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 09:56 PM)Loafers Wrote: Has there ever been a successful fps mmo?

Yeah actually there has. Three examples off the top of my head are Planet Side (which has been around for over a decade now and is about to get a sequal), MAG (aka Massive Action Game), and War Rock. Tribes 2 could also have been considered an MMO during it's hey day because it supported 128 players on a single map on a single server. Another MMO FPS called Dust 514 is predicted to be very successful as it already ties into, and makes an impact, on EVE's game universe. Unfortunately, it's only hitting the PS3. I'm pretty sure quite a few others exist as well, especially in South Korea.

wtf, i need a PS3 now, Dust 514 looks amazing! I'm guessing they aren't making it for PC because they don't want to lose Eve Online subscriptions to it.

I'm guessing they want two entirely different player bases on each game. I'll likely get into Dust 514 (provided that MechWarrior Online, Xonotic, Hawken, Tribes 4, and maybe even StarHawk don't eat up my time) since I like the EVE universe, but could never get around that clumsy mess they call an interface. The idea of fighting it out on the ground as opposed to waiting for level ups (yeah, it takes time, not grinding to achieve levels in EVE) sounds very appealing to me.

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quake 3 mod for Minecraft neXus 2 589 02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Frombleasome2004
  New FPS fan website MarisaG 4 5,220 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Is Open Source Multiplayer FPS as a whole dying? Danfun64 9 9,962 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,822 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
  [NEED HELP] Quake maps in Xonotic Kriss7475 2 6,050 04-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Kriss7475
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,479 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? VertX 32 28,594 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Last Post: kojn^
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,360 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,344 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  We can pretty much declare Quake Live dead Lee_Stricklin 21 24,718 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe