Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the community is divided in team xonotic & the rest

Anyway, I can give some insight on what is happening in these threads, and explain why they are not public.

"Xonotic Project Role Structure"
- very unfinished discussion about how decisions will be made, and by whom, about which topic. Cannot be published yet, as people would take the UNFINISHED stuff for granted.

"Licensing"
- start of a discussion of two models to license the game (namely all-GPL like in Nexuiz, and GPL aggregated with some CC-BY-SA v3.0 [or CC-BY v3.0] data the game does not depend on [i.e. maps, and music tracks used by them] - however, it is clear that this will NOT change the source requirement, as we need to be able to provide source data for inclusion with Debian and other Linux distros anyway, see Debian Free Software Guidelines which we WILL adhere to). Not much there yet, apart from what I just wrote.

"Sound group & coordinator"
- start of a discussion on who may or may not become the "sound coordinator" and choose a group around him for managing creation and inclusion of sound and music. Current status is that we collect names of people who may be suitable for this.

"Artistic coordinator(s) selection"
- similar, for the "artistic coordinator". Current status is that we collect names of people who may be suitable for this.

"Xonotic backstory"
- brainstorming on possible backstories for the game, or not using a backstory (like Nexuiz)

"Xonotic intro and pronunciation"
- a single post of a topic very related to the previous thread, not much to say there

"Licensing Guidelines"
- working on a draft text for artists on how stuff is to be licensed. Depends on the "Licensing" thread

Most of this stuff is in a state that is so unfinished that it simply cannot be published yet on a public website, or people will assume these are finished decisions and possibly freak out. No decisions have been done in any of this.

Quote:"Xonotic intro and pronunciation"
- a single post of a topic very related to the previous thread, not much to say there

lol... seems like a relic from nexuiz. At least the pronunciation part.
People will pronunce it the way they think its correct, or how they like it.

(04-22-2010, 10:22 AM)lopho Wrote:

er... For me, pronunciation IS an issue. It`s like good old "welcome to nexuiz" which you hear everytime you enter the game. I can`t imagine nexuiz without it. Good intro is a must and if Those-Who-Are-In-Charge-Here create a separate thread for this stuff, it means they think the same.
+1 for them Smile
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

The developers know what's best for the game because they want what's best for it.

Don't worry about it bro Big Grin

IMHO the whole situation would get a better feel if the core team started to refer to themselves as "I" and not "we" (...are the borg, prepare to be assimilated ;-P ). Just a simple PR thing, but it changes the mood around discussions like this one.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(04-23-2010, 11:06 PM)Cheshire Cat Wrote: The developers know what's best for the game because they want what's best for it.

it's maybe not such clear implication (they know sth because they want sth) but I guess I get your point Tongue
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(04-22-2010, 10:22 AM)lopho Wrote:

I've seen tons of these 'relic' threads. Let's get original!

Thanks Doku for clearing the air.

In any successful project, there is a hierarchy. Respect!
Latest obsession.

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here. Smile I'm aware I haven't been involved in this project or the old one, so naturally I shouldn't have much say in what happens to it. I just thought I'd chime in a bit and offer my take on this issue, as I feel it's a very important one for the future of this project. I don't mean to start a ruckus, and I respect the developers' decisions though I may not agree with them. Feel free to point out any errors I make in this post or any other.

I really liked the design philosophy of Nexuiz, and wouldn't stray too far from that approach when making Xonotic (as this team seem to have). Actually, I would reinforce it. I'd open up the process of official development completely, just host servers in goodwill, and offer contributions and make decisions as an equal, rather than an authority figure.
(04-24-2010, 07:57 AM)ImpulseNine Wrote: In any successful project, there is a hierarchy. Respect!

That's an assumption. Many grassroots organizations are very successful, precisely because they don't rely on rigid power structures, but allow every community member to shine through cooperation and responsible behavior.

"Respect" as ImpulseNine says, and influence, would be gained through contribution, not through a given power position. That's the whole idea of open source development. I'm not saying the lead contributors to Nexuiz shouldn't get their due credit (though I wouldn't care as much for credit as for the general well being of the cause I'm contributing to, which would benefit me in the long run), but I don't think a rigid hierarchy where the previous lead contributors are also the new authorities would be the best way to fix the flaws of old Nexuiz, even though they wouldn't be absentee owners like he was.

I believe people can organize without "organizers", organization is a natural process of cooperation. DIY is my motto, if you want something to change, make that change yourself, publish it, and convince others to follow in your direction. It's how many open source projects work. This is very much the case when it comes to art direction as well, if you think your art direction should be the default in a given project, convince others why and if it's good, it will probably be adopted and expanded upon by the other community members. Likewise, if the game gets crowded with content and you want to trim something from the game, just remove it yourself and release the changes to the community, let them decide if the removals should be kept or not. I would address the lack of art direction in Nexuiz more to a lack of cooperation between artists than lack of art coordinators.

Electing positions is pretty much the same thing, except now you hold a popularity contest to decide who will decide things for you. A bit like today's politics, and we all know how well that works. Big Grin

Again, I'm not here to tell you what to do, that would be hypocritical Tongue I just would hate to see official development decisions become a closed process, when the game this stemmed from always seemed to be famous for the opposite Sad I'm aware it's all in good intention, I just think it's the wrong approach. My two cents.

Well, that became long.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Community tournament movie RazorDodger 5 2,605 01-31-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: RazorDodger
  SEND DEMOS for a Community Frag Movie 2018 Smilecythe 13 9,660 12-26-2019, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Solid
  Community Frag Movie Demo Call srkdy 9 8,529 12-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Islinn
  Razer Comms Xonotic community created jUBjUB 3 4,554 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  Xonotic Community Frag Movie #2 (Demos Wanted!) kojn^ 88 69,036 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Last Post: kojn^
  Community frag movie - need demos ! tobster 0 2,869 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Last Post: tobster
Video KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic Community Movie | Xonotic 0.6 [HD] zeroql 43 57,205 10-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  Teaser for Killing X-Zone - Xonotic Community movie zeroql 28 28,239 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Mepper
Question The State of the Xonotic Team Squigger 12 12,851 09-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Squigger
Exclamation Community frag movie ? tobster 8 9,709 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Last Post: tobster