Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open source games you play?

@cyberkiller ... actually I have'nt played tm nations forever in a while ... I have been playing alot of tm sunrise however (yeah ... I'm probably the last soul on earth who is)... I've been debating whether to by tm united or tm 2

@shadowman84 ... I've mostly just played lan with my siblings (who play the game much more than me)... and ... no I am not very good (been playing on and off for about 2 years) although if I do happen to bump into you online ... I would love to pound you (or more likely ... get pounded by you)

(05-23-2012, 04:27 PM)Loafers Wrote: Quake2World on the other hand is pretty much dead.

Yeah it is, and that sucks. I haven't played it lately, but last time I did, they still hadn't added a decent interface, which is definitely going to turn off new players really fast. The gameplay, maps, and graphics are solid though.

on of my favorite OpenSource game is XMoto (advanced clone of ElastoMania)

Also I've played Warsow for 5 years! <3 it very much. but this game isn't open source, it is just free =)

Yesterday I've discovered Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME) which looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. Wesnoth is fantastic btw, at least the single player. Multiplayer is full of quitters, whiners and elitist idiots.

(05-25-2012, 05:23 AM)asy7um Wrote: Yesterday I've discovered Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME) which looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. Wesnoth is fantastic btw, at least the single player. Multiplayer is full of quitters, whiners and elitist idiots.

ToME seems great, but it won't build without a very specific dev build SDL, it can be a pain to get running.

I'm on windows atm but you could try the official linux binaries: http://te4.org/dl/t-engine/t-engine4-lin...40.tar.bz2

King of Tycoons:

http://www.openttd.org
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(05-25-2012, 10:55 AM)unfa Wrote: King of Tycoons:

http://www.openttd.org

Meh, Simutrans FTW! :-D
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

I played Xmoto ans simutrans too but thats already a while ago.

open-source...as in spilt ketchup?

Played Wesnoth a few times and my sentiments on multiplayer are pretty much the same as asy7ums. Never played ToME — looks a lot like Wesnoth — is it worth playing/learning? I've tried to get into the turn based strategy games before, but it fails to capture my attention span.

ToME isn't a strategy - it's a roguelike (a subgenre of cRPG, focused on replayability - random content!, tactics and high difficulty level).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Some self advertisement:
for open-source game news and links to many cool games have a look at the blog I am contributing too: freegamer.blogspot.com
I am the "FPS resident", so I will try to post as much as possible about Xonotic too... but lately their news department is awfully quiet Undecided

woa ... very nice blog ... and you list some opensource racing games in there ... Big Grin thanks for shareing this

I've literally played all of the good ones. But here goes anyway (long post follows, hold on to your butts):
  • Xonotic (duh). I like it especially because I see it as the "casual game of arena shooters". For instance, you can hold down space to bunny-hop, most maps are fairly wide and open, allowing for a lot of freedom of movement, and you can melee attack just by right clicking when you're using the shotgun instead of switching to other weapons. Also, it has the best weapons of any game in the genre, end of story. BTW, if you are accepting translations again (i.e. not in string freeze), contact me if you want, I have some free time right now.
  • Battle for Wesnoth (the RNG is bullcrap and the devs refuse to change it, otherwise one of the finest out there)
  • Recently started playing UFO:Alien Invasion. Great game. I'm maintaining the Greek translation for it and I've translated some 1000 strings already, making some progress on the rest. The lead developer is German though, and his English can be iffy at times. Nevertheless, I feel that this has what a lot of open-source games lack: originality! That's something that Xonotic has a lot of, too. Smile
  • Neverball. Outstanding time-waster, very original game.
  • Urban Terror. I know it's not OSS anymore, but it really is the best in its class, apart from maybe Call of Duty:MW3 with Hardcore mode on and Kill Confirmed (so people don't camp). I actually prefer slower-paced shooters like this, it's a shame so few open-source ones exist.
  • Warsow. Very nice graphics, but I find it a bit too... skill-based at times.
  • FreeCol. I never liked Civilisation games, and I hate FreeCiv with a passion, but this is genuinely fun for some reason. I guess it's the fact it has more tangible goals? The lack of goals is why I don't find Minecraft any fun, for instance.
  • Smokin' Guns. Probably one of my favourite shooters of all time.
  • Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I've played this easily more than any other game on the list.
  • OpenTTD. I never played the original TTD game, but I just love this! Simutrans is a bit too complicated (and the interface is too terrible) for me to grasp. My only complaint is that it is too easy, even if you have some clever rivals. Also, downloading AIs manually is just not cool when you're trying to introduce the game to non-techy friends who actually did play it back in the day.
  • The Ur-Quan Masters. I can't be bothered to play it much, and I'm nowhere near finishing it or anything like that (in fact, I don't even know if you can finish it), but it's pretty cool and I fire it up once in a while.
  • Frozen Bubble. You'll be surprised at how addictive this game is!
  • Hedgewars. A Worms clone which I find far more original than Warmux, though the gameplay is less fun for some reason I can't pinpoint (getting better though and Warmux is dead).
  • Dink Smallwood. I've played most DMODs there, too, and reviewed quite a few. I haven't played in a few years now, but I check up on The Dink Network once in a while. If you want to play it on Linux, try it through WINE (better) or by getting GNU FreeDink. The whole thing is open source, by the way. Not for young children! But an absolutely hilarious game (it's genuinely funn), if you can get past some grinding areas. Highly recommended, and the DMODs too!
  • LBreakOut2, a solid breakout clone. I've completed most of the default level sets on this. I wonder what multiplayer is like.
  • Getting into obscure stuff. Tapan Kaikki 4:Blooshed is a ridiculously violent shooter from Finland. Someone should seriously pick up its development as it is frickin' awesome. Get it from here.
  • Even more obscure. LambdaRogue is one of the most innovative roguelike games in recent years. If you thought ToME was a breath of fresh air, think again. Granted, the story is fairly linear (you have to play it to understand), but it gets you much more involved in the story. I find its plot somewhat similar to Arx Fatalis' which is not a bad thing, as that was a great game. (I never finished all the sidequests in it though, due to a bug).
  • Talking of roguelikes, I've played Ascii Sector to death. I have yet to try the player-made missions though. The API for them is quite interesting. But the game, even better! This is the only roguelike I know of that doesn't constrict itself to a dungeon (DoomRL doesn't count) apart from Dwarf Fortress Adventurer Mode! Very fun to play and quite action-oriented, would recommend. A bit like the closed-source freeware (but awesome) Transcendence, which is also a great game.
  • Liquid War--very cool, unique and original. The music is awesome too. I can't really describe it... so just play it!
  • Lichess. Well, I guess this doesn't really count. It's an HTML5 implementation of chess with a bunch of other cool features, like a fully integrated forum (the dev wrote it from scratch so it fits in) and other cool things. Greek translation by yours truly. ^^ I've made it an aim for myself to play a game of chess every day, and so far I've been successful. Except for the fact that my ELO is wavering at about 850 at the moment.
  • Unknown Horizons. Never played Anno, but this is awesome and very fun to play. Easy to get into as well!
  • X-Moto is the classic motocross flash game on crack cocaine, and I can't stop playing it. I suck, but it's crazy fun and there are 1000s of amazing levels available. Highly recommended.
  • Kobo Deluxe, underlined for awesomeness and extreme obscurity. One of the best open source games of all time in my opinion. BTW, levels are randomly generated so just keep retrying when you get to level 50. And PLAY THIS! Big Grin
  • Frogatto & Friends is a really cute and fun platformer for all ages. Very fun to play, and has a nice little silly storyline to go along with it. Highly recommended!
  • OpenClonk. I had no idea what Clonk was previously... and I think my dream game has come to life! Underlined, because it's obscure and yet it replays all of my childhood Playmobil + LEGO fantasies.
PS: Cube 2, anything based off of it (except Marble Arena 2), Warzone 2100 (though things are improving), Vega Strike (though it's probably just not my genre), Widelands (too slow and boring), BZFlag, Glest (and especially MegaGlest, with its weird mess of factions), Spring-engine based games (bad interface both in-game and out of it, the package manager-style game handling, terrible bugs in and out, many other problems) and Planeshift (broken, especially graphics-wise), Stendhal, The Mana World, are all hideously overrated. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and don't play them.

I have yet to play and very much want to play Tremulous (dead, apparently), TrueCombat (dead, apparently), 0 A.D. (tried it, was awesome but incomplete), WorldForge (is it even a game?), Saga of Ryzom and Egoboo.

Nice list Evropi! It's good to see that there are still Dink Smallwood fans out there Smile

gave up on zero-k. engine and interface feels weird. gameplay is fun, but steep learning curve and can be chaotic at times. i guess im just too used to starcraft and warcraft series :/

Quote:Urban Terror. I know it's not OSS anymore, but it really is the best in its class, apart from maybe Call of Duty:MW3 with Hardcore mode on and Kill Confirmed (so people don't camp). I actually prefer slower-paced shooters like this, it's a shame so few open-source ones exist.

I totally agree! I love it!

I dissagree about the warzone2100 and BZflag being over rated ... but seeing as I haven't played a tenth of what is on this list ... I won't nag you about it ... yet ...

ps... I spent like 2 years doing nothing by bzflag mapping (the game is good (graphics aren't) ... but the project is almost dead)
warzone is great at lan play ... I didn't care for the campaign (my two brothers loved it though)

also have you looked at secret maryo cronicles

Started as a mario clone ... but now doesn't want to be one ... Its in a strange state atm ... the platform for it is solidly built ... they just need devs for new features and artists that actually finish the tilesets they start for them (cough cough not me cough cough)

(06-10-2012, 03:55 PM)hutty Wrote: ps... I spent like 2 years doing nothing by bzflag mapping (the game is good (graphics aren't) ... but the project is almost dead)
Just curious about what's good about bzflag. The game looks absolutely horrible to me.

(06-10-2012, 04:23 PM)W4RP1G Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 03:55 PM)hutty Wrote: ps... I spent like 2 years doing nothing by bzflag mapping (the game is good (graphics aren't) ... but the project is almost dead)
Just curious about what's good about bzflag. The game looks absolutely horrible to me.

Eh, that's cool if gameplay is interesting enough. Roguelikes have horrible unappealing graphics too.

Its the slowest paced fps ever....

You are a tank ...
every bullet is an instant kill
usually bullets bounce off surfaces (server specified)

flags are strewn across the play area ... pick one up and your tank has a super power (like flying, or skinny, or shooting lasers) there are more than 20 of them ...

I played BZ flag and it was annoying. Really annoying. I just can't get into games like BZ flag, especially when the graphics are so horrible and I get shot all the time and I can't tell what's going on, etc.

Bzflag puts heavy use on the top down radar in the corner ... I agree ... It can get really really annoying ... especially if you are new at it....

Surprised nobody (at least, I assume nobody) has mentioned StepMania yet.
(06-14-2012, 11:13 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: also, defining λ_water as V_nail / V_water, you infer that there is water everywhere. You just drowned. Dead people don't make invalid arguments, therefore you lose.

[ FA | YouTube ]

(And yes, if the Fur Affinity link hasn't already given it away, I'm a furry.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool indie games thread asyyy 15 12,568 01-01-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Julian758
  New open source game: AAAAXY divVerent 9 3,984 12-25-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: takemat
Information [NEED HELP] MA on open-source game development Jules 0 2,437 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Jules
  Treadmill Xonotic. Play, fall, ouch. Zistigingus 0 2,575 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Zistigingus
  Is Open Source Multiplayer FPS as a whole dying? Danfun64 9 9,962 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  RA jumps on Aerowalk (in 24 different games) Smilecythe 31 22,999 12-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,479 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Games over. thimo 18 16,396 08-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Last Post: PayTheBill
  Fragmovies from other games- thread Smilecythe 25 24,804 04-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Matuka
  8 Craziest Guns In Video Games zeroql 5 5,810 12-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe