Create an account

Poll: Does the idea is:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
useless :-(
62.50%
5 62.50%
useful :-)
37.50%
3 37.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] "Xonotic - High Activity Announcer"

"Xonotic - High Activity Announcer"
------------------------------------------------------------
~> As the activity is quite low in Xonotic, it could be neat if someone "told you" when people actually are playing =)

• We noticed a lot of people who enjoy the game find a server list full of empty servers when they're looking for a game.
• Being a part of this community will give you notification when games are starting or going so we can get servers filled.
•This group announces with events when a 10+ slot server has 8+ players.

•The event names shall follow a similar format:
+ http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&hide=empty
•Please write in group comments if you want to be an admin and announce activity.
•You will not get demoted for not announcing stuff, but will be for posting numerous events that does not fit the requirements.
# please correct my english i'm going to add it on the group presentation so all sugestions/modifications are welcome ;-)
Our steam Group:
-> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xonotic
Join us & get ready to frag some bitches!!!

nice

... to bad I dont use steam ...

but still ... nice ...

I really don't understand what you're talking about. You want to have somebody looking at the server list all the time and post messages when there's people on a server? Why not use/make server browser software such as XQF?

"I really don't understand what you're talking about. You want to have somebody looking at the server list all the time and post messages when there's people on a server? Why not use/make server browser software such as XQF?"

-> Because i think it's an easier way than script/use an XQF server browser Huh
-> Something to consider... a lot of lambda players (like me) only join servers that aren't empty. So... just join a server and people will come.

Sure some guys will just take a look at the server list an create events but it's useful and simple.
That's why we recrute some more admins who would like announce activity threw the steam group !
Our steam Group:

But it can be fully automated! Why waste people's time? Who would even want to do such a thing?

EDIT: Not to mention that this would only encourage people to stay out of servers if they're empty. That's pretty bad, don't you think?

I'm not sure I'd want an email every few hours to tell me which servers are busy. I'm not sure many people would. The DP Master page is useful and if you wanted this info put into some other form then an RSS feed perhaps but not having someone manually sending it out.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

You can always look at this app, it minimizes to tray, open source:
http://code.google.com/p/urtconnector/

Adapt for Xonotic and you have nice app Smile

(06-19-2012, 05:02 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: But it can be fully automated! Why waste people's time? Who would even want to do such a thing?

EDIT: Not to mention that this would only encourage people to stay out of servers if they're empty. That's pretty bad, don't you think?

Sure we encourage players to focus on the same server and it's more interesting as I m concerned i prefer see 14/20 players on the same server than 4 servers with 2/8->3/8.

-> not at all people do what they want this group announces with (events???) when a 10+ slot server has 8+ players and players do the rest.

Give me some tips about your XQF / RSS if you get some.
I m currently seing how use them threw steam.

XQF is opensource, and there's got to be a specification of the protocol it uses somewhere.

Feel free to do your thing but that just seems like a big waste of resources... I still don't understand what exactly your point is.

(06-19-2012, 06:08 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: XQF is opensource, and there's got to be a specification of the protocol it uses somewhere.

Feel free to do your thing but that just seems like a big waste of resources... I still don't understand what exactly your point is.

You have certainly reason i should learn how use RSS/XQF but the goal is similar to this group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RnLHAA
Simply announce Activity nothing difficult to understand at all ^^
Our steam Group:

(06-19-2012, 09:46 AM)SHOUBISHOCK Wrote: XQF is opensource, and there's got to be a specification of the protocol it uses somewhere
You have certainly reason i should learn how use RSS/XQF but the goal is similar to this group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RnLHAA
Simply announce Activity nothing difficult to understand at all ^^

But who gonna report activity all the time then?

Wow, I just checked the DP server list and Nexuiz has 70 players online! We need some of those 70 players to come over to Xonotic! Big Grin

I would like a "Xonotic IRC Client" which automatically launches Xonotic and joining pickup matches, maybe making it with GTK or maybe CLI? Smile

(06-20-2012, 01:26 PM)K__ Wrote: I would like a "Xonotic IRC Client" which automatically launches Xonotic and joining pickup matches, maybe making it with GTK or maybe CLI? Smile
Naryl actually was working on a light-weight lobby application that is linked to #xonotic.pickup before he vanished.

(06-20-2012, 02:02 PM)asy7um Wrote: Naryl actually was working on a light-weight lobby application that is linked to #xonotic.pickup before he vanished.

Sad, is the source code still aviable?

BTW I really think I gonna do this when I'm a better programmer, or maybe do it in Illumination Software Creator...

(06-19-2012, 06:41 PM)K__ Wrote: But who gonna report activity all the time then?

•Sure some guys will just take a look at the server list and create events but it's simple and quickly done.
•That's why we are going recrute some more admins who would like announce activity threw the steam group !
•If in a near future we can reach about 20+ more admins one of them will be online at any moments and so we could always launch events if necessariy.
•Nothing is actually done it's still a project we have to talk about that way btw current admins

Our steam Group:

Well, it's even rare that 20 players play Xonotic at the same time so good luck with that Tongue

I think it is better to focus on other things than creating groups and stuff like this, if we want to really promote Xonotic I think we'll need a official trailer and a redesigned frontpage on the website.

(06-20-2012, 04:25 PM)K__ Wrote: Well, it's even rare that 20 players play Xonotic at the same time so good luck with that Tongue

I think it is better to focus on other things than creating groups and stuff like this, if we want to really promote Xonotic I think we'll need a official trailer and a redesigned frontpage on the website.

Perhaps it wasn't enough clear in my bad english but i tried to explain 20+more admins means more avaible people to launch event. (Atm we 'r only 3 admins and about 130 members).
Members can become admin and help us by announcing activity this is why we will recrute them.

I think a new a trailer or a redifined website can be only be necessary with a new major update release 0.7 for example.

About the group it can be use to amass people on Xonotic by creating announces (news about the dev-team) and events (high activity announcer).
We can really promote the game by sending invitations to others steam friends.

Sure why not?

Still dont think this gonna succeed though, sorry.

But continue if you want, it might turn ou well :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Fix high-ping strobe light effect? Dokujisan 5 6,094 02-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  [SUGGESTION] Nex gun recoil impact for high jumps like in Nexuiz xeros 3 5,358 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Last Post: xeros