• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS]

Fickle-ctf
[Image: bc5xex7zrz6f67opxru_thumb.jpg]
http://maps.unconnected-clan.de/fickle-c...ay2012.pk3
(Down atm) http://ompldr.org/vZHhoZw [65.4 MB]
Thanks Mirio for new upload ^^

Some more screens while you download:
[Image: kop0zkql7zzcg45942_thumb.jpg] [Image: rksz8tm9806lkde5047f_thumb.jpg] [Image: u4spz4ez9ms6pw5lyeo_thumb.jpg]
[Image: bysismksw2331hagcyh8_thumb.jpg] [Image: 0q1andjn0uawztlpeio_thumb.jpg]

I went with the old build system as opposed to the sRGB, because I didn't think the shadows looked decent with sRGB. For the comparison, go here.

Has some custom decals and ambient sounds, all by me and GPL. There's some I didn't use, but included anyway (part of a set sorta).

Anyway, I wanted to build a map that had void, but wasn't a floater, had some long range sniping ability, but wouldn't break the gameplay, and was still somewhat serious. Hope y'all are good at laser jumping.

• CTF and ONS support
• Custom decals (GPL)
• Custom ambient sounds (GPL)
• Bot support (kinda, they don't do well with void maps period though)
• Fog, real-time lights, particle effects, custom shaders, and other useless visual stuff

Good Luck Have Ponies!

65 mb??

map size is very large ... although I can understand not optimizing it cause its a beta release...

I'll take a look at when it finishes dlaoding (15 min btw)

Took a quick look at it ... It is very cool .. your teleporter is a win ... also nive job with the cubemapped glass, and fog effect

The size is due to map source, custom textures and custom sounds, which must be included to qualify the map as GPL.

... all your textures are still in tga format ... for the map I suggest converting them all to high quality jpgs ... and removing the unused from the pk3

... then release a separate package with all the tga textures ... as a texture pack kind of thing... the lightmaps can also be made jpgs ....

(05-26-2012, 12:16 PM)nowego4 Wrote: The size is due to map source, custom textures and custom sounds, which must be included to qualify the map as GPL.

The GPL doesn't require that you release everything in 1 package - you can put the source in a separate one, all the Linux distros do it likewise with their packages.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

hutty Wrote:... all your textures are still in tga format ... for the map I suggest converting them all to high quality jpgs ... and removing the unused from the pk3

... then release a separate package with all the tga textures ... as a texture pack kind of thing... the lightmaps can also be made jpgs ....
Every default Xonotic texture pack uses .tga; I modeled mine after default format and naming convention.
Cyber Killer Wrote:
nowego4 Wrote:The size is due to map source, custom textures and custom sounds, which must be included to qualify the map as GPL.
The GPL doesn't require that you release everything in 1 package - you can put the source in a separate one, all the Linux distros do it likewise with their packages.
As a mapper it is annoying to play a map, open the dlcache to see how somebody did something and finding not all materials (i.e., just the .bsp and/or missing textures).

(05-26-2012, 02:02 PM)nowego4 Wrote:
Cyber Killer Wrote:
nowego4 Wrote:The size is due to map source, custom textures and custom sounds, which must be included to qualify the map as GPL.
As a mapper it is annoying to play a map, open the dlcache to see how somebody did something and finding not all materials (i.e., just the .bsp and/or missing textures).

I was expecting a more reasonable argument like 'putting the source into a separate package will make the pk3 only 5MB smaller so it doesn't really matter' :-D.

BTW: the map looks awesome!
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Map looks great! But you can't really expect players to wait 5+ minutes to download a map..

First of all:

I like:
1. great job with your signs
2. fog gives nice effect
3. general layout is good

Second:

What I dislike:
1. The middle of the level is too repetitive (these columns)
2. map seems a bit too 'open'
3. Stairs are too dense. You can easily loose your speed on them.
4. The middle of the map is definitely too spacious = When you stand on the top of it you can see across all levels and watch the button of the map.
5. I want more curves!

lovely map, lovely!!

the only disturbing thing i found are those jumppads not working very well (move target_position a bit higher maybe?):
(also maybe scale down this crate texture a bit?)

[Image: qifKol.jpg]
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

2 things I dislike. The height ceiling is too low (this might muck up the map's balance a bit if changed, but it's worth a try) and I often get clipped on the forklift truck. Apart from that it's a great map!

(05-27-2012, 06:04 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: and I often get clipped on the forklift truck. Apart from that it's a great map!
Like that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BAiJIaezc&t=5m29s

The only two issues I'm having is the map ceiling being too low and getting clipped on the ECKZBAWKZ HUEG forklifts. Scaling the forklifts down to a realistic level would solve the second problem.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(05-27-2012, 06:39 AM)asy7um Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 06:04 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: and I often get clipped on the forklift truck. Apart from that it's a great map!
Like that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BAiJIaezc&t=5m29s

Haha, awesome video! Tongue

I wanted to build something similar (void, fog...) so I like it a lot.

Like Justin, I find those columns repetitive. Maybe you could add something to break the repetition (supports?) or remove some columns. Also, I think that is weird to have a "perfect" squarish rock wall inside those structures but it looks good with the grate and we are not supposed to build a realistic maps so its ok.

Nice job.
somewhere

Quote:Every default Xonotic texture pack uses .tga; I modeled mine after default format and naming convention.

Yes the do in git(and some/most autobuilds) release version uses .dds .... seeing as .dds is a little more difficult to convert most map releases use .jpg

Quote:As a mapper it is annoying to play a map, open the dlcache to see how somebody did something and finding not all materials (i.e., just the .bsp and/or missing textures).

You could always have a readme with a link to the source ... also everything you use will still be there ... just in jpg instead of tga (the only difference is the alpha will be separate out to a separate channel)

Smile 
Very nice work! I'm a fan o the overall map design! Any plans on an optimized version?

sometimes when I hit bots game crashes to menu, strange

Map's now available on Overkill.

Quote:sometimes when I hit bots game crashes to menu, strange

Are you using autobuild?

(06-08-2012, 10:04 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: sometimes when I hit bots game crashes to menu, strange

Can you tell us what's in the console log when it crashes? Use the condump command: condump botcrash.log will save the contents of the console in the "botcrash.log" file in your personal data directory.

Sorry, I could not reproduce that, it happened while I played ONS which is quite quirky so that might be a problem. I encountered 2 other bugs:
few seconds before the end of the match there were spam sounds about my generator is being damaged while it did not show any damage and log said "Blue team spontaneously exploded due to overtime!" which was BS because the matched had not ended yet and then I won.

Also, several times this popped in the top left corner of the screen with bleeping sounds, I have no idea what it is:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/bugrsg.jpg/

Another annoying thing with ONS is that control point markers are all over the place and the one that you actually need is missing.

One thing about this map, I don't get the purpose of the small healths located between the pillars, they are hard to get and it takes time, they have no purpose.

The second thing is a debug print in the console, open the console (shift escape) to see it in full. As for the other problem, that's something that should be further investigated. If ONS is that buggy it has to be actively debugged. Make a thread maybe.

Hey,
just tested the map for a short moment Tongue
i really like its design and the idea you had on this map.

But i noticed that the height of the map is very limit, so you always crash against the invisible sky when using laser. That is really annoying Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,668 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [CTF,ONS,CTS] Trident_ctf [FINAL] Kotangens 10 5,248 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [CTF,ONS,RC] RemixROM Kotangens 4 2,551 01-16-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,149 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  [CTF,ONS] Astralcity kuniu the frogg 28 27,123 01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Justin
  death51 [ ons | ctf | dm | etc ] ... 8 9,354 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: mepper[NoSkillsOnlyLuck]