Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: Battlecry (Unreal Engine 4)

Do you really want to give away your freedom just to make a mod? =o

freedom is not an issue because he lost it when he chose Star Wars. :-)

Making Xonotic mod - an interesting idea, and you could do lots of elementary stuff in a matter of months but lots of AI - nope,
huge open maps with varied terrain, water and vegetation and stuff? not sure, problematic
graphics and stuff - won't get better than this
You could (in theory) do lots of stuff with Xon, but I believe that there are lots of crazy complications. You would aslo need to rewrite some engine stuff (ouch)
Cryengine will be hard but you will get the advantage of scope immediately.

"CryEngine 3 has its own incredible SDK and a tonne of useful plugins for things like Blender"
You can use blender for modelling in Xonotic too. Also, why would you need plug ins?

"The engine is easier to use and has proper documentation"
Easier to use? Do you mean the map editor? If so, hutty is working on tutorials for NetRadiant.

"The AI is much more advanced (essential for a Battlefront mod!)"
You can fix this by adding waypoints to your maps, also you can implement those suggestions you have posted on the forums to your mod's AI.

"The graphics are superior"
Well, can you make so detailed models and maps that the mod utilize CryEngine's graphics capabilies?

"The engine is better optimised (Darkplaces still lacks proper support for things)"
What things? Why not try to fix them instead, so we all can benefit?

"There are many more advanced features"
And what are they and what are you gonna use them for?

"Imo, you can't really compare an open-source engine like Darkplaces (which is actually an amazing open-source engine, there's no doubting that) to a world-class engine like CryEngine 3."

Well, no one in the world benefits from CryEngine3 due to it's non-free license(free as in free speech, not as in free beer). How can it then be world-class?

f*eck the criticism. If thats what you want to do do it. To make you change to another engine I would think you had a good reason for it otherwise there would be no reason to change at all.

I guess my only point is to remove the negative things about darkplaces at some point in the future.

I completely agree with frostwyrm333 and asy7um on this one. Sorry K__ but I think that I'll stick to CryEngine 3 because it suits the requirements of my mod, whereas Darkplaces doesn't.

Do what you want :-), if you're more expirienced with that engine I understand your choice.

But, I suggest UDK over CryEngine3 after my friends experience, he have used UDK since the first beta, and also worked on Crytek with CryEngine3.

Check out our new progress folks!

http://www.crydev.net/project_db.php?act...ct_id=3835

WOW! Those models look really, really good.

Excellent work, and great job ignoring the naysayers and realizing your ambitions.
[Image: 1991.png]

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the models are pretty sweet!

Yeah! F*ck the "no" people!

you pretty much CANNOT lead a mod team unless you have a large amount of skill in programming/modeling/level design- it just dosnt work. But good luck to ya!

(06-29-2012, 07:53 AM)K__ Wrote: Well, I've played Star Wars Battlefront, and I think it's quite easy to make Xonotic that way.

1. Create your own balance and slow down the speed, maybe remove bunny hopping.

2. Create a class selection system.

3. Modify the weapons so they act like the Star Wars ones, and also make Star Wars models for them.

4. Create some maps that are like the Star Wars battlefront ones.

5. Create your own server with the mod Smile

THIS you should protoype it quickly using THIS method

so that...

1. you have something you can show people that they can play, that will get you more eyes on your project

2. you will attract much high caliber mappers

3. you can see how it will all work before you invest alot of time

also how hard was it to get the greenlight from the licesnes holder of the starwars series?

I'm not using Xonotic engine for my mod. That's final. I'm using CE3.

Yes, that is a good way of prototyping the game and we are doing a similar method.

As for Greenlight, well, it's not completely necessary and there is that $100 donation which kinda puts me off, but I'll look into it later on.

Hey just wondering if you can make it to were debris will kill you if it falls on you like bf3. and give a trooper a parashute and give them the ability to jump out of vehichles while in mid air

(09-22-2012, 06:41 PM)Ingy Ball Wrote: Hey just wondering if you can make it to were debris will kill you if it falls on you like bf3. and give a trooper a parashute and give them the ability to jump out of vehichles while in mid air

We can implement getting killed when debris falls on you, but I'm not too sure about the other things you suggested.

UPDATE:

We are still making good progress on our models (the AT-ST is now animated!) and Hoth.

Hey if u want more people to know about ur project then u should send ur info to battlefront 3. net i think the main guy there goes by nitro

New Moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry

EDIT:

(We were previously a mod, but now we are a game, so I changed the URL to the new one).

Us over at Gloom Walkers are making a fan made SWBF3 called Star Wars Battlefront 3: A New Hope. We are currently looking for people to help out with the development of this game. As it seems that you want to make some sort of a mod for SWBF2 using cry engine 3, we thought this would be a great opportunity for anyone that is interested in this mod to help out with the game.

For anyone interested in helping out with our game, go to http://forums.gwgnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20 and tell us what you want to work on.

For images and further information related to the game go to http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-bat...a-new-hope

The Fett Man, is this a thread hijacking or am I missing something? If it's the former, well... make sure you tell your buddies at Gloom Walkers about the cry engine 3 SWBF2 mod! Maybe they'd like to leave your project and join this one, who knows.

We could share assets and stuff OR maybe we could merge?

(10-10-2012, 01:55 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The Fett Man, is this a thread hijacking or am I missing something? If it's the former, well... make sure you tell your buddies at Gloom Walkers about the cry engine 3 SWBF2 mod! Maybe they'd like to leave your project and join this one, who knows.

I assure you that I am not trying to take over the thread. I was just thinking that since you guys are making a cry engine 3 SWBF2 mod so that you can have updated graphics and new features, why not help us with our game, so that in the end not only will you have updated graphics and new features, but you will have an entirely new game similar to what can be seen in the SWBF3 pre alpha videos, but with even more features.

That was a rather clumsy move, I hope you understand.

No hard feelings as far as I'm concerned Wink

(10-10-2012, 04:31 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That was a rather clumsy move, I hope you understand.

No hard feelings as far as I'm concerned Wink

Yeah I probably should have done more of a background check before originally posting. But to go along with what rocknroll237 said about merging, I have a few questions.

I will ask the rest later but first of all, this is a mod for crysis 2 right?
Most of what I have read says that it is being made in cry engine 3 while some places say it is being made using the crysis 2 modding tools.

It is being made with CE3 SDK.

It's not a mod for Crysis 2, but I had to post that on Moddb because there were no other options to select.

You might want to talk to SharkYbg over on Crydev.net. He is our main modeller (along with another core member Sceluk) and will talk to you guys about merging.

I have made some updates to our Moddb page:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry

October update up on Moddb:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-bat...g-update15

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,345 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Mario Kart Unreal Engine 4 Beagle 0 3,545 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Gave the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha a spin, here's my breakdown Lee_Stricklin 2 6,546 03-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  New Unreal Tournament frostwyrm333 33 43,527 05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Last Post: asyyy
  Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux FutureSuture 0 4,214 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: FutureSuture
  Epic's Unreal - my sound of NaPali unfa 7 9,899 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? Mr. Bougo 25 36,764 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  misc: game-engine project... BGB 9 10,688 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: BGB
  Star Wars Chryyz 8 10,034 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  Stumbled upon a cool search engine that I like more than Google Lee_Stricklin 6 10,101 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Last Post: mood