Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which headset?

As my old Sennheiser PC 160 is broken now I need a new headset. Though I don´t really know which one to choose as I don´t have that much money to buy one for 150€ but also don´t want to dispense with bad and cheap (sound) quality.

So it´s time to ask the most awesome community: Which headset(s) do you recommend?

(05-27-2012, 06:41 PM)Maddin Wrote: As my old Sennheiser PC 160 is broken now I need a new headset. Though I don´t really know which one to choose as I don´t have that much money to buy one for 150€ but also don´t want to dispense with bad and cheap (sound) quality.

So it´s time to ask the most awesome community: Which headset(s) do you recommend?

Try to get Plantronics GAMECOM 380

or if you have lttle bit more money Plantronics GAMECOM 780

metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

I advise against getting headsets as you get bad speaker drivers with bad mics. The smart option would be to get some good headphones and a $10 Logitech microphone to go with it.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I heard of that before and I won´t install any extra software for a headset on my computer, also because I´m additionally using Linux where these drivers are useless. Dude, you don´t need a driver for a microphone nor for speakers! Wink

Anyway, post which headsets you got and which you can (not) recommend!

I got these: http://www.media-tech.eu/products/headsets/MT3547 - I don't recommend them ;-P (I had to get wireless cause my cat eats cables. ;-P )

pro: low price, wireless via wifi, usb plug, good battery life (recharge once in 2days), works on Linux ootb
con: low sound quality (good enough for gaming, but not music), small ear piece makes ears hurt after a while, non-replaceable battery, low microphone sensitivity
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

I'm not referring to software when I say drivers, I'm referring to the things that transmit sound lol Most people just refer to them as speakers, but some speaker cabinets (like the ones I have) have multiple drivers in them, usually two or three.

Oh wait.

(05-28-2012, 07:18 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: some speaker cabinets (like the ones I have) have multiple drivers in them, usually two or three.

And none of them is compatible with linux, of course.

I've got Shure 840 headphones. They sound great. Through my X-fi sound card, I enable 3D sound and they work quite well in games.

These are ones I DON`T recomend. the hurt like hell...
http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-cont.../05/10.jpg

Speedlink's Medusa Pro Gamer Headset. $100

Excellent quality sound and the mic is great too.
[Image: optsig.png]

(05-28-2012, 08:21 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(05-28-2012, 07:18 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: some speaker cabinets (like the ones I have) have multiple drivers in them, usually two or three.

And none of them is compatible with linux, of course.

Not if I have pulseaudio installed Tongue nothing works properly if that's on your system. Without pulseaudio though, I can very easily rattle the back of the house and have sound punch through the outer wall loud enough to be heard outside hehehe just too bad it also screws up my mouse movement due to the excessive vibration on my desk.

Oh wait.

(05-30-2012, 08:26 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Not if I have pulseaudio installed Tongue nothing works properly if that's on your system. Without pulseaudio though, I can very easily rattle the back of the house and have sound punch through the outer wall loud enough to be heard outside hehehe just too bad it also screws up my mouse movement due to the excessive vibration on my desk.

You are a terrible neighbor.

(05-30-2012, 08:26 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Not if I have pulseaudio installed Tongue nothing works properly if that's on your system. Without pulseaudio though, I can very easily rattle the back of the house and have sound punch through the outer wall loud enough to be heard outside hehehe just too bad it also screws up my mouse movement due to the excessive vibration on my desk.

PulseAudio works a-ok on all distros that are not Debian or Debian-based :-P.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(05-31-2012, 02:27 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

Neighbour. You Americans have god awful spelling! Tongue

(05-31-2012, 06:46 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote:

Neighbour. You Americans have god awful spelling! Tongue

I'm not american, but I figured I'd be consistent because I seem to be more keen on using american vocabulary.

Well, I rarely push it that loud due to desk vibration (might try fixing this with a piece of glass and a sheet of foam). Only when I'm listening to music such as techno or heavy metal do I do that lol even funnier is I still have plans for two more upgrades hehehe and plan to take what is currently my rear speakers, hook them up in parallel, and have that be my center channel... keep in mind that these things have 12 inch woofers on them. So for my final setup I'd be looking at...

Corners: Sanyo SS 900s
Sides: Sanyo SS 695s
Center: a pair of Sanyo SS 685s hooked up in parallel or a more sane option (an actual dedicated center or another pair of bookshelf speakers that aren't excessively huge) if I can do it cheap
Subwoofer: Not necessary but I might attach a bass shaker to my chair if I find one cheap

lol damn went off topic, oops

Oh wait.

Ok, finally I bought a "Thermaltake eSports Shock" and for only 33€ it has a very nice sound for gaming purposes. Smile

They seem quite good for that price, something I might consider buying too..

As I said, for gaming it´s quite nice. I would say it´s even better than my old Sennheiser PC160 for this purpose. But when it comes to music the sound is not very equalised. A too strong upper bass with no real depth and a little bit to spiky treble. You´ll notice this mostly when listening to classical music or some "high quality" pop. For metal and rock music it´s ok, only the bass is not very fitting. And when you listen to Dubstep, Drum n Base, or other electronic music it sounds very good. Tongue (You noticed which music I listen to... Big Grin)

The microphone is also good, nobody did complain about any mush in Teamspeak. There are a lot of people who say that it produces noise and echoes but I can assure you that this is only an issue of the sounddrivers. Most of them seem to be too stupid to adjust them right. Tongue

Sennheiser PC350's are awesome!

You can do a quick mod too which really opens them up and improves the bass and clarity.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,364 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Which Mouse? Ch4mp 24 18,784 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Surround Headset for Linux - experiences? Halogene 2 9,414 05-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Anyone had a go with a Occulus Rift VR headset yet? kojn^ 6 6,042 09-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Last Post: machine!
  In which people do not argue about ammo types Harmata 41 35,107 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  HTC Evo 3D vs. Samsung Galaxy S 2 - which one? Minkovsky 8 8,473 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Last Post: edh
  Which antivirus? Minkovsky 17 13,069 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  Which OS do you prefer? od@r 93 84,250 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Last Post: JayWalker