Create an account

Poll: Switching to a weapon that's already equipped should switch to previous weapon.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
12.50%
1 12.50%
No
87.50%
7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Should switching to the already equipped weapon switch to the previous weapon?

Lightbulb 
Thoughts?

No.

Reason?

Incredibly counter-intuitive.

Current line of thinking:
"I want to switch to previous weapon" > [uses bind switching to previous weapon, whatever it was] > voila!

That line of thinking:
"I want to switch to previous weapon" > [checks what weapon equipped and looks for proper bind] > [ponders, how does it make sense, that pressing a button supposed to equip weapon A equips weapon B instead] > "Ok, let's switch" > switches.

BTW Forum error - can't quick reply, because adding RE: makes subject name too long.

Hey, that's how I reload my MG! I don't have a bind for previous weapon nor for reload, if this is going to happen I'll be DOOOOMED! D:
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(05-31-2012, 02:27 AM)rafallus Wrote: No.

Reason?

Incredibly counter-intuitive.

Current line of thinking:
"I want to switch to previous weapon" > [uses bind switching to previous weapon, whatever it was] > voila!

That line of thinking:
"I want to switch to previous weapon" > [checks what weapon equipped and looks for proper bind] > [ponders, how does it make sense, that pressing a button supposed to equip weapon A equips weapon B instead] > "Ok, let's switch" > switches.

BTW Forum error - can't quick reply, because adding RE: makes subject name too long.

I didn't think it would be that complicated...

(AND LOL @ SUBJECT TOO LONG)

I reworded the subject, should work now. This forum behaviour sucks a bit.

Regardless of what one thinks of it, it wont even work as some weapons share buttons. And as mentioned, it seems terribly counter-intuitive.

However, I wonder if we can do this as optional facility, like "switch to weapon X or to previous weapon".

So this won't work for the existing multi-binds, but single-weapon binds could be made that switch to previous if the weapon is already held.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I see no purpose for this. Switching back takes more thinking than switching to a specific weapon. Example, when switching back, you have to think about what weapon you currently have(so you know which key to press), what the last weapon you had was, then decide whether or not that's the weapon you want. When using proper weapon binds, you only have to think about which weapon you want.

I don't even know if you could do it on reflex either, there are just so many variables.

Actually sounds lik something that could convince me to set up some weapon binds.

Thanks for all the replies.

For me this feature would make weapon switching a little easier. For example, I bind RL to q and pressing other binds can sometimes be awkward. Not to mention some people don't bind previously used weapon.

(05-31-2012, 04:00 PM)Loafers Wrote: Thanks for all the replies.

For me this feature would make weapon switching a little easier. For example, I bind RL to q and pressing other binds can sometimes be awkward. Not to mention some people don't bind previously used weapon.

How many buttons does your mouse have? A 5-way mouse wheel alone can go a long way towards helping with that problem, imo(although it depends on the quality of the mouse). Once the shotgun is removed, you'll have 1 less bind to worry about too.

weapprev alias is already there in the game.
I can't give you the config right now (my knowledge gone a bit rusty), but with some alias magic you can do the following:

You simply bind a button to an alias, that on click (+alias) switches to desired weapon, on release (-alias) rebinds the button to "switchalias". "switchalias" rebinds that button to weapprev, and on click rerebinds to original weapon alias.

In quake2 I had a similar one, but for chat messages.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] x Frags Left should come before other announcements gd 0 1,393 06-21-2023, 11:27 AM
Last Post: gd
  [SUGGESTION] Teams should start with the same total health in ca gd 2 2,958 04-15-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be Lee_Stricklin 7 6,771 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Should we move Engines? Beagle 24 16,920 05-07-2016, 03:48 AM
Last Post: tZork
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,882 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] A game package should contain all needed components kanatov 2 4,321 03-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Last Post: kanatov
  [SUGGESTION] Should There be an official Xonotic T-Shirt? Zeo 13 17,176 01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Advanced Options tweaks that should maybe be default Lee_Stricklin 16 18,597 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: edh
  [SUGGESTION] Should I set up a PPA for Xonotic or is it too early? Minkovsky 10 11,501 10-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Last Post: zykure
  [SUGGESTION] Redesign Weapon Arena Mutator GUI /(+Multi Weapon Arena) luziferius 5 8,066 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Samual