Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netradiant crash on startup

Hi,

I have recently made a Radiant package for Linux (see http://linradiant.intron-trans.hu) based on NetRadiant (netradiant-1.5.0-20120301). I changed only the build system (new Makefiles and scripts), the code is unchanged. The package builds fine, and the editor works w/o problems under Linux.

Recently I have tried to make a Windows version of the same package by using the Msys/MinGW system. After building/installing the required dependencies I was able to build the editor. However, at startup the following error message is shown:

Code:
mainframe.cpp:676 assertion failure: module system failed to initialize - see radiant.log for error messages

followed by this:

Code:
SingletonModuleRef::initialise: type="VFS" version="1" name="*" - not found
d:/Msys/home/menczel/LinRadiant/radiant/mainframe.cpp:676
assertion failure: module system failed to initialise - see radiant.log for error messages

I know that this bug has occurred several times previously, was discussed on different forums and was reported to the developers, but AFAIK no solution/fix was offered. I would appreciate if somebody (divVerent?) could suggest a possible fix to the problem.

Thanks!

Sorry for the unrelated message, I unfortunately can't provide an answer to your question. But I'm wondering why you wanted to fork NetRadiant. Why not just contribute directly? I read your rationale and it didn't seem to explain that.

I also don't see why. What did the previous build system do wrong?

Yet still - well done. The error however is clearly a problem of your build system, as it works fine with mine. Are the RADIANT_MINOR and RADIANT_MAJOR files properly written? These being wrong/missing typically causes this error.

BTW: I don't think I will merge your build system, but we could maybe merge the projects anyway. What if you could make your Makefile live in a LinRadiant subdirectory of the NetRadiant source? Then I could just add it to NetRadiant and we then can continue to work in the same source tree? To my Makefile I'd then also add a

linradiant:
$(MAKE) -C LinRadiant

rule so "make linradiant" runs your build system. Maybe eventually your build scripts could get extended to have all important features of the NetRadiant ones, and become the main build system then. Just it's not ready for that yet.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

You are including the following game packs:

pack OpenArenaPack unknown zip1 http://ingar.satgnu.net/files/gtkradiant...naPack.zip
pack Q3Pack proprietary svn svn://svn.icculus.org/gtkradiant-gamepacks/Q3Pack/trunk/ -r29
pack Quake2Pack proprietary zip1 http://ingar.satgnu.net/files/gtkradiant...e2Pack.zip
pack TremulousPack proprietary zip1 http://ingar.satgnu.net/files/gtkradiant...usPack.zip

These packs probably contain files not under a GPL compatible license (unless you replaced the offending content and the packs still work fine, in which case I'd take over these packs for NetRadiant use). This is the very reason why NetRadiant does not come with the game packs, but has a downloader for them.

What would be a nice development BTW would be to add a way to download and install the packs separately from compiling NetRadiant. So you can make a Windows binary of it, and have a downloader application (ideally built into NetRadiant's GUI itself) to add more packs.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy creating a Windows version of LinRadiant. Finally I made it!

First I managed to get NetRadiant built by following the instructions. Then I built LinRadiant using the NetRadiant dependencies, but got the same error. After a lot of experimenting it turned out that I made some mistakes (omitted a couple of compiler/linker flags) and for this reason the DLL modules built by my system were bad. Sad It took me a while to find this out. When I copied my 'winradiant.exe' to the NetRadiant directory it worked OK. However, if I copied my DLL modules to the NetRadiant tree, I got the same error when running Netradiant. QED.

I have to admit that I redesigned the way the MinGW/Msys dependencies are handled. I made a 'usr/local' directory in Msys and stored everything there. IMO this makes sense because those libraries can be used not only for Radiant, but for general software development as well. After all, we don't want several copies of gtk+ (each tens of megabytes) exist in the same system. Smile The whole content of this directory is available on the LinRadiant WEB site. There are also instructions about how to install and configure the MinGW/Msys system for building LinRadiant. The WEB site now also has source and binary versions for both Linux and Windows.

BTW, I rewrote many of the pages including my rationale. I acknowledge that LinRadiant is not a fork, simply NetRadiant in a new package.

(05-31-2012, 07:45 AM)divVerent Wrote: You are including the following game packs:

pack OpenArenaPack unknown zip1 http://ingar.satgnu.net/files/gtkradiant...naPack.zip
pack Q3Pack proprietary svn svn://svn.icculus.org/gtkradiant-gamepacks/Q3Pack/trunk/ -r29
pack Quake2Pack proprietary zip1 http://ingar.satgnu.net/files/gtkradiant...e2Pack.zip
pack TremulousPack proprietary zip1 http://ingar.satgnu.net/files/gtkradiant...usPack.zip

These packs probably contain files not under a GPL compatible license (unless you replaced the offending content and the packs still work fine, in which case I'd take over these packs for NetRadiant use).

OK, I will pack them in a separate archive for download and add a note explaining the reason.

Quote:What would be a nice development BTW would be to add a way to download and install the packs separately from compiling NetRadiant. So you can make a Windows binary of it, and have a downloader application (ideally built into NetRadiant's GUI itself) to add more packs.

It would indeed be a nice addition. However, I feel that I am unable to add the necessary code. I have practically no experience in C++ programming although usually I can understand C++ code written by others. Unfortunately, NetRadiant seems to be an exception... Sad

Hi,

I have checked the gamepack files listed above as proprietary (OpenArena, Quake2, Quake3 and Tremulous). The '.game' files (XML) do not have any headers. Some of the 'entites.ent' and 'default_shaderlist.txt' files have headers containing some info about the persons who made/updated them, but no information about licensing. Two names are mentioned: Eutectic (eutectic@ritualistic.com) and TTimo (you know who...). Smile

Based on a quick comparison of their content, it seems to me that three of these gamepacks are derivatives of the original Q3A gamepack. So we just have to find out the legal status of the Q3A pack. The best person to ask would be TTimo since he created some of the stuff and is still active in Radiant development.

I tried to get some info on the Radiant WEB site (http://radiant.robotrenegade.com). OK. I know that the gamepacks there are not compatible with NetRadiant, but they are surely modified versions of the original packs. However, the link to the gamepacks is broken. The WEB site states that ZeroRadiant is distributed under the GPL, so one may assume that it also includes the gamepacks. But better to ask.

@divVerent:
Could you, please, contact TTimo and ask him? Thanks!

OT, but WOW! I remember you from Nexuiz 1.x era! Nice to have you back! Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NetRadiant issues Garux 7 8,775 02-18-2015, 04:48 AM
Last Post: Garux
  Error Compiling NetRadiant on OS X 10.10 cityy 2 4,171 01-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Last Post: cityy
  [SOLVED] NetRadiant compile Windows 7 toneddu2000 21 19,603 09-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  netradiant textures not loading tangerian 1 4,023 06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  Writing a NetRadiant plugin with Visual C++ Nitroxis 6 8,312 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Last Post: divVerent
  q3map2 alternatives for NetRadiant MirceaKitsune 31 39,753 05-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Last Post: VNilla