Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Xonotic Theme Tune Version 2 now up :)

Great work once again!
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Good stuff!
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

Personally I prefer the first version for a Xonotic theme, but I think that the second one should be used on some sort of "HOLY SHIT!" moment in the single player, like say a really really tough battle (something equivalent to UT99's Xan Krieger boss fight or other memorable moments).
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(05-09-2010, 01:06 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Personally I prefer the first version for a Xonotic theme, but I think that the second one should be used on some sort of "HOLY SHIT!" moment in the single player, like say a really really tough battle (something equivalent to UT99's Xan Krieger boss fight or other memorable moments).

Im pretty shocked you think that tbh. There is nothing to the first version, sounds very plain. The track definitely needed more sounds and thats what I gave it in the second version.

Both tracks are equally good. I just think the second one is more suited for gameplay, possibly something epic like a bad ass boss fight, a really memorable map, or something like that.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(05-10-2010, 09:38 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Both tracks are equally good. I just think the second one is more suited for gameplay, possibly something epic like a bad ass boss fight, a really memorable map, or something like that.

I do not think it would be a good idea to have 2 versions of 1 track in the game. I think it should have 1 good version of a track representing one thing only. IMO it would be a good idea to use the song selected to be the theme as a song to be used on introduction video's and official frag video's, to further cement a stand out track to represent the game(whether its mine or someone else's). Player, map, music design all associated with common ground and all fitting together will make a brand of the game. IMO Nexuiz suffered from having too many different styles, which confused what the game was all about. I think this needs to be avoided with Xonotic. The first version I made for the theme will be scrapped as I much prefer the second version. The second version is simply an enhanced version of the first one(which was a WIP), this now makes version 1 obsolete.

Cool

i still don't like the voice at 2:19 and 2:46, 3:15 and so on Smile

the part starting at 2:06 sounds a bit... plain, simple, artless (some translations for "einfach", i hope you understand what i mean). that gets better at 2:12 when the sounds gets choppy.

at 3:43 this high, calm sound starts quite abrupt. and why does this melody already end at 4:08? end it like you and it at the end Big Grin (of the whole track)

this (i'll call it e-guitar-solo Big Grin ) sounds disharmonic at 3:36 and again at 5:09.

i think i'll play a match with this track in the next few days to see how it fits Smile

(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: i still don't like the voice at 2:19 and 2:46, 3:15 and so on Smile

I totally disagree with this, I like the voice, most break tracks use vocal body hits. Adds real flavour to the end of the bar breaks.

(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: the part starting at 2:06 sounds a bit... plain, simple, artless (some translations for "einfach", i hope you understand what i mean). that gets better at 2:12 when the sounds gets choppy.

I agree with this. Def needs more, planned for version 3 Wink

(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: at 3:43 this high, calm sound starts quite abrupt. and why does this melody already end at 4:08? end it like you and it at the end Big Grin (of the whole track)

Its called breathing space Big Grin a nice clam breakout from the militant bass and drum rolls, I believe it adds atmosphere. If you listen to most dnb or breakbeat tracks you will hear a calm down point in the centre of the track, it's a good technique for breaking the track up and inputting a chilled out point before it rises up again. It ends with this sound because if you loop it, it blends nicely into the intro again, ready to roll out once more. I was thinking of working on the way it drops a second time. A nice slow build up ready to roll out again. Im gonna experiment with that on vers.3

(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: this (i'll call it e-guitar-solo Big Grin ) sounds disharmonic at 3:36 and again at 5:09.

I really like the sequenced pattern of this synth. Def needs fine tuning though. I was hoping someone was going mention it in this release Wink I think it fits very well but just needs a slight adjustment.

(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: i think i'll play a match with this track in the next few days to see how it fits Smile

Cool

(05-10-2010, 09:28 PM)SC0RP Wrote:
(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: at 3:43 this high, calm sound starts quite abrupt. and why does this melody already end at 4:08? end it like you and it at the end Big Grin (of the whole track)

Its called breathing space Big Grin a nice clam breakout from the militant bass and drum rolls, I believe it adds atmosphere. If you listen to most dnb or breakbeat tracks you will hear a calm down point in the centre of the track, it's a good technique for breaking the track up and inputting a chilled out point before it rises up again. It ends with this sound because if you loop it, it blends nicely into the intro again, ready to roll out once more. I was thinking of working on the way it drops a second time. A nice slow build up ready to roll out again. Im gonna experiment with that on vers.3
i didn't say i don't like this part, i just said it start too abrupt and the melody ends too early, nothing more Smile the ending is also fine Smile
(05-10-2010, 09:28 PM)SC0RP Wrote:
(05-10-2010, 03:33 PM)jaykay Wrote: this (i'll call it e-guitar-solo Big Grin ) sounds disharmonic at 3:36 and again at 5:09.

I really like the sequenced pattern of this synth. Def needs fine tuning though. I was hoping someone was going mention it in this release Wink I think it fits very well but just needs a slight adjustment.
again, i didn't say the the e-guitar itself is bad (it's really good actually), i only said it sounds disharmonic in one playce Smile

Cool stuff. Great for an intro, really.

Edit: an idea would be to add a bit of a heavier bass-line so it would sound a bit more well grounded. Not a fump fump fump bass, I mean some round and full, maybe a bit soft bass tune here and there that would create a roundish sort of fundament for the rest of the tune. Dunno if you understand what I mean...

But I like it. *thumbs up*
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Theme Tune was absolutely amazing, great work.

(05-11-2010, 03:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Cool stuff. Great for an intro, really.

Edit: an idea would be to add a bit of a heavier bass-line so it would sound a bit more well grounded. Not a fump fump fump bass, I mean some round and full, maybe a bit soft bass tune here and there that would create a roundish sort of fundament for the rest of the tune. Dunno if you understand what I mean...

But I like it. *thumbs up*

I know what you mean and im having similar thoughts. I like the way that bass rolls out with the chopped synth on the first drop but after that maybe it should have more room to breathe, longer bass notes.

Glad you like it Cool

I think the start has to be more energetic if this was to be the menu tune, considering that most of the times you'll only hear like ~10 seconds of the song before you connect to a server. Something like starting from the 2:04 mark, or just shortening the intro greatly and then directly jumping into the breaks + melody part, you probably know best Smile
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this song (and drum and bass in general Smile), but I'm not sure hearing only the first 10 seconds each time really lives up to the awesomeness of the rest of the song Smile
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I just listened to it again and have to say this is really a cool theme song. I really like it very much.

Btw, if I may ask, what did you use for making it (software and hardware)? I admire the stereo "presence", the fullness, the idontknow of the sound that gives the impression of really high quality instruments/sound sources.
My Xonstats Profile

I'm already using this as my menu theme Big Grin Waiting for it to be committed to GIT and applied.

Awesome. May I use the soundtrack for a trailer project Im working on?

I think there are a lot of good elements in this song. I think a condensed version which quickly mixes together the best parts of the song is needed for the menu. About 30 seconds worth but able to be looped seamlessly. Most people spend about 10-30 seconds in the menu before they are off to play a game.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers!
MintOX
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(07-06-2010, 07:21 AM)Halogene Wrote: Btw, if I may ask, what did you use for making it (software and hardware)? I admire the stereo "presence", the fullness, the idontknow of the sound that gives the impression of really high quality instruments/sound sources.
My Xonstats Profile

(07-06-2010, 07:21 AM)Halogene Wrote: I just listened to it again and have to say this is really a cool theme song. I really like it very much.

Btw, if I may ask, what did you use for making it (software and hardware)? I admire the stereo "presence", the fullness, the idontknow of the sound that gives the impression of really high quality instruments/sound sources.

I just use my mac, Logic as the main sequencer and then a ton of plug-ins. The main samplers I use are EXS and Kontakt. No hardware, all software Smile

Cool

As I've said, very nice style.
However, could you possibly enable downloading for more of your tracks? And also perhaps make a git branch with your music in xonotic? Wink
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(07-18-2010, 08:30 AM)SC0RP Wrote: I just use my mac, Logic as the main sequencer and then a ton of plug-ins. The main samplers I use are EXS and Kontakt. No hardware, all software Smile

Cool

Thx for sharing the info!
My Xonstats Profile

A long revive of this topic. But I was talking about this song in another thread yesterday, and why it's still not the default menu theme nor included in master. I didn't know this, but if I'm correct, sc0rp didn't release the source yet, and that's why it can't be included (one reason at least).

I read around this topic, and it seems no source was linked here indeed. If sc0rp reads this (or someone can still contact him and ask), could you release the source for this song please? So it can be included and maybe made the default menu theme?

In my opinion, it's ok the way it is. No need to do more changes necessarily... just post the source too.

(04-09-2011, 09:08 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: A long revive of this topic. But I was talking about this song in another thread yesterday, and why it's still not the default menu theme nor included in master. I didn't know this, but if I'm correct, sc0rp didn't release the source yet, and that's why it can't be included (one reason at least).

I read around this topic, and it seems no source was linked here indeed. If sc0rp reads this (or someone can still contact him and ask), could you release the source for this song please? So it can be included and maybe made the default menu theme?

In my opinion, it's ok the way it is. No need to do more changes necessarily... just post the source too.

It might be because of what FruitieX said. The song is great, but the menu theme needs to be high energy from the start as most of us barely hear more than 15-20 seconds of it. All of the songs in the Nexuiz menu were full-auto from the start. They started big and with lots of energy. Usually a map song needs to start slow and build to warm you into the match. That is what this tune does. But I'm just speculating.

BTW SC0RP, nice song. Would be an awesome map song.

Are you 100% sampler, or do you use any synths(not presets)?

'master[mind Wrote:It might be because of what FruitieX said. The song is great, but the menu theme needs to be high energy from the start as most of us barely hear more than 15-20 seconds of it. All of the songs in the Nexuiz menu were full-auto from the start. They started big and with lots of energy. Usually a map song needs to start slow and build to warm you into the match. That is what this tune does. But I'm just speculating.

That is quite true. I realized this too (and that the tune does lack this element), but didn't give much attention to this or find such a good way of explaining it.

Perhaps if sc0rp is still around and feels like working on this song again, he could make a v3 and fix this element sometime. Almost 6 minutes is still too long IMO, so maybe this could also help shorten it a bit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music New sounds in next version (0.8.3) Wuzzy 2 3,795 10-09-2019, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Aguaumreal
Music D'n'B track: "Not The End" Xonotic version unfa 3 6,407 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Just remembered SC0RP's tracks Space Raiders and Xonotic Theme had dead links Lee_Stricklin 0 3,226 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Music theme tune? chooksta 4 4,898 08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Last Post: chooksta
Lightbulb Theme song kay 26 26,599 04-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Last Post: od@r