Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ShootMania Storm

Looks good. http://www.shootmania.com/

Looks Awesome Big Grin

Looks like it's just instagib. no thx Dodgy

(06-02-2012, 06:00 PM)W4RP1G Wrote:

Looks like it's just instagib. no thx Dodgy

those are some enthusiastic frenchmen XD. Perhaps we should have matches commented with an audience in the back ?

An arena FPS that is all one hit kill and looks like it currently has nothing more to offer than Onslaught. I'll pass. I do have admit though, while it looks as if it lacks a lot in terms of depth and content, what IS there does look alright.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

What's so special about this? Apart from it looking kinda fancy and published by ubisoft?

Quote:
If you're going to the trouble of putting a video online then you'd think at least they'd record it using a screen recorder. Pointing a camera at a screen is just stupid. Very amateurish.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Isn't this kind of what the open source community has been doing since its inception. the only thing i see this one doing is lowering the entry level skill necessary for mapping and game mode creation. someone correct if i'm looking at this wrong.
How long is a piece of string?

(06-02-2012, 06:00 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: Looks like it's just instagib.

Not really.What i have understood so far is that the current main gameplay is really unique.
The current main gamemode is round based and seems to be played in 3v3.One team attacks one defends.The defending team has rocketlauncher like weapons and all 3 players on the field.The attacking team only has one player on the field equiped with an instakill railgun.As defender u win the round by taking out that 1 attacker or defending for 60 seconds and as attacker you can either win by killing the whole enemy team or capturing the point.The point is only open for capture the last 15 seconds.

(06-03-2012, 04:12 AM)edh Wrote: If you're going to the trouble of putting a video online then you'd think at least they'd record it using a screen recorder. Pointing a camera at a screen is just stupid. Very amateurish.

Vods of yesterdays tournament commentated by Total Biscuit and Joe Miller: http://de.twitch.tv/shootmaniastorm

(06-03-2012, 02:16 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: What's so special about this? Apart from it looking kinda fancy and published by ubisoft?

Its getting alot of attention atm because its made by nadeo,the makers of the very popular Trackmania,which was also a very good esport title.Some professional gamers from different games already anounced that they will put their focus on this game soon,which creates even more promotion for it.Many people want it to be the next big thing in esport and i guess it will atleast do ok with all that support it already gets.

Some more informations:
- Easy to use map editor included(just like the one we had in trackmania.With that everyone is able to create their own map and we will probably see alot of great maps created)
- Dedicated servers
- Integrated scripting tool for creating new modes
- LAN servers (offline mode)
- Matchmaking
- Stats
- Ranking system
- Spectator mode
- Movie-making mode

(06-03-2012, 11:34 AM)Apr0ph1z Wrote: - Easy to use map editor included(just like the one we had in trackmania.With that everyone is able to create their own map and we will probably see alot of great maps created)
The map editor in Trackmania had its good points and its bad points. The mere fact that it was so easy for maps to be made did mean that there were some ridiculous maps out there. Some people had no idea about design to make gameplay fun it was just 'OMG I MADE A TRACK AND I BET NO ONE CAN COMPLETE IT!!!', or adding may too much scenery in and making a map that played at 10fps unless you played at the same minimum details that the 12 year old who made it was playing on there Dad's computer.

Good game in many ways, I like the driving, I like the fact you can play on a rubbish connection with a ping of 1000. Unfortunately Shootmania I can't see matching that, you actually will have to have a good ping to play!
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(06-03-2012, 11:34 AM)Apr0ph1z Wrote: Not really.What i have understood so far is that the current main gameplay is really unique.
The current main gamemode is round based and seems to be played in 3v3.One team attacks one defends.The defending team has rocketlauncher like weapons and all 3 players on the field.The attacking team only has one player on the field equiped with an instakill railgun.As defender u win the round by taking out that 1 attacker or defending for 60 seconds and as attacker you can either win by killing the whole enemy team or capturing the point.The point is only open for capture the last 15 seconds.

You're right, that does sound unique, although it would likely be impossible to balance. Not saying it won't be fun, just not competitive. They'd probably be better off just making it into instagib onslaught, at least then they get bites from some of the many instagib lovers.

Just imagine a TDM in Q3 where 1 team has rockets, and the other has an instagib railgun. Even if the rockets are insta-kill, there would still be no contest. Even if the railgun were a ballistic projectile instead of hitscan, it would win.

(06-03-2012, 05:58 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: You're right, that does sound unique, although it would likely be impossible to balance. Not saying it won't be fun, just not competitive. They'd probably be better off just making it into instagib onslaught, at least then they get bites from some of the many instagib lovers.

Just imagine a TDM in Q3 where 1 team has rockets, and the other has an instagib railgun. Even if the rockets are insta-kill, there would still be no contest. Even if the railgun were a ballistic projectile instead of hitscan, it would win.

Iam also not sure if this will be accepted as the main competitive mode by the community.With the tools nadeo is giving them they can create whatever they need for competition and will most most likely do it.
But i got to disagree on the impossible to balance part.Its not tdm but a round based 3 vs 1 scenario.3 defenders with an rl and 1 attacker with an railgun.The attacker will die after exactly 3 hits from the rockeltlauncher and is under pressure to get things done in an certain amount of time(he has 45 seconds to kill the enemy team,if he fails at dooing so he has 15 seconds to either capture the objective or kill the remaining enemys).After the round is over the teams swap positions.1 guy from the team that defended just now is the attacker with an railgun,the full team of the previous attacker is defending now with rocketlaunchers.
There will be maps where one side will certainly will be favored but since both teams get to play both sides i see that balancing out very well.Just like it did in counter strike with certain maps.

I doubt it will be balanced. I don't care if you are under pressure to attack or not, instagib rifle beats RL. In CS you had acccess to the same weapons. I've never played any sort of assault game mode where 1 team had such different weapons. All I see with this game is people quitting when the teams rotate.

Honestly, Illfonic's dynamic mutator idea was better than this game's idea to give 1 team an instagib rifle, and that's sad.

(06-03-2012, 10:05 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: All I see with this game is people quitting when the teams rotate.

So you see people quitting every 60 seconds?Its not like u are playing a set of 8 rounds on one side and then switch.It kinda works like that :

A1(railgun) vs B1 B2 B3 (60 sec)
A1 A2 A3 vs B1(railgun) (60 sec)
A2(railgun) vs B1 B2 B3 (60 sec)
A1 A2 A3 vs B2(railgun) (60 sec)
A3(railgun) vs B1 B2 B3 (60sec)
A1 A2 A3 vs B3(railgun) (60 sec)

I think their main goal with only creating 3v1 situations in this gamemode was to make it interesting to watch.And yeah it really is(atleast for me).It was fun to see how the railgun guy plans to take on his 3 enemys and it was also amazing to see how the defenders try to take him out,lure him into traps ,flank him etc.
Its not as fun to watch for me as some good quake duels but (atleast for me) more entertaining then LoL/Dota2/Sc2.

May be interesting, but I doubt it will successfully replace standard competitive modes.

The main gimmick is the map editor. Most fps'es don't have too easy to use editors (the recent Portal 2 editor comes to mind, but everything else is a'la radiant or unrealed). The downside to this is that the maps will all have the same scenery.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Well as the thread starter, I declare that this game should only be judged upon release... And, personally, I think that it looks like an interesting game that offers players a lot. Tongue

I have been playing the alpha for a few days now.Also the NDA is gone since friday so iam free to tell u whatever u guys want to know about the game.Any questions? Smile

Is it as shit as it looks? Tongue
On a serious note, does it really have only 2 weapons? And is 3on3 the only possible gamemode?

I watched a few games yesterday on the stream but the players were horrible, like 15% railgun and they moved like bots. Are there any vods of high skilled players online?

(06-17-2012, 04:53 AM)Fisume Wrote: Is it as shit as it looks? Tongue
On a serious note, does it really have only 2 weapons? And is 3on3 the only possible gamemode?

Its better then it looks. Smile
Elite Mode(the mode that the public is seeing in the first tournaments atm) is made for 3on3 but there are many other gamemodes that support very different numbers of players.I have seen everything from 1v1 duel modes to battles with 16v16 on huge maps with multiple points to capture.The game offers something for every taste and the community already started to add even more gamemodes and gameplay mechanics.
In the current alpha build we are able to use 3 weapons,more are coming Smile(the 3rd weapon is an grenade launcher type of weapon which is the only weapon dealing splash dmg atm)

(06-17-2012, 05:47 AM)asy7um Wrote: I watched a few games yesterday on the stream but the players were horrible, like 15% railgun and they moved like bots. Are there any vods of high skilled players online?

Some vids of Strenx and Av3k during practise:
http://www.shootmaniaesports.com/381/bos...renx-av3k/

Hm I guess it's more fun to play than to look at.

(06-17-2012, 07:24 AM)asy7um Wrote: Hm I guess it's more fun to play than to look at.

I totally got to agree on that.I really dislike that they have been so focused on the attackers PoV in all matches shown so far.I dont want to watch some guys rushing through a map to an pole with an railgun for 10 mins.Imo the things happening at the defensive side are way more interesting since they really have to show some teamplay,positioning,tactics,traps,sick rockets/air combos etc and even with this it only is a little bit more enjoyable to watch then counter strike for me.Cant compare with watching an amazing quake duel.

I like the RTS-like topdown view. This + 6v6 or bigger could be interesting. But the 3on3 "elite" mode seems very repetitive and is boring to watch. It could also use more varied textures and architecture. But the most disappointing thing for me so far is the movement system. I expected a lot more trickjumps that can make a difference so it's not all about aim and positioning.

Can you describe movement mechanics? Anything special/interesting to it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steel Storm - another game using the DarkPlaces engine divVerent 7 13,194 01-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin