Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Freezing when picking up items

so the first time that i pick up each item or pick up the flag or any other significant event in game, my screen freezes. naturally this is only annoying for the first few matches because eventually i've gotten through that freeze period for each weapon or each flag action or whatever, but it'd be nice to get rid of it completely. any idea what's causing it?

thanks

It seems you have a caching problem. I think items and sounds are precached to prevent that lag, but I'm not sure. Perhaps somebody else can help.

Could it be related to this http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/552 "Precache GLSL shader glsl/default.glsl".

Although it could be a sound caching issue. What graphics card and drivers are you using? Maybe paste a few lines from the game console.

You can also set the developer cvar to 1 to have some more verbose output.

I have seen a similar effect also when the graphics card runs out of video memory and textures have to be moved in and out of memory to compensate. Some ideas of your system spec would help to see if this might be a problem or not.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

I have this problem. Here's an old thread I made about visual + audio stutter (I don't really have audio issues any more though).

developer 1 didnt reveal anything. even through the lags it just outputs normal game info. someone in #xonotic irc suggested something about texture memory, so i bumped my gl_picmip up to 10 and that didn't help anything.

specs:
4gb ram
2.26 ghz dual core processor
nvidia 9800m gts graphics card

i dont think it has anything to do with my hardware because it only happens the first time i do each of these events. for example, picking up the flag the first time results in a frozen screen for like 3 seconds, but the next time i pick it up it's perfectly fine. i'm using 195.62 drivers because my computer is picky about drivers and this one is the most stable i've found.

Quote:i dont think it has anything to do with my hardware because it only happens the first time i do each of these events. for example, picking up the flag the first time results in a frozen screen for like 3 seconds, but the next time i pick it up it's perfectly fine.

Same. Although, it's much less than 3 seconds for me and it's for less major things like blowing up (into gore) or firing a weapon for the first time in a match that cause minor freezes.

To rule out the sound issue, try launching the game with the -nosound commandline parameter. This completely disables audio output.

If you don't know how to do that in windows, here's an easy way: create a shortcut to the executable (I think it can be done by shift-dragging?), right click the shortcut, hit "properties" and add -nosound like in the screenshot below. It says -nohome, replace that with -nosound
[Image: FCtzX.png]

Tbh - i have this issue too. It isnt hardware related, or my i7 + HD6970 aren't powerful enough to play this game.

It's quite annoying, and most visible on strengh / shield powerups. P.e.: getting one of these in "Dance" will cause in suicide due to as well caused inputlag.

Havent tried -nosound tbh, but disabling sounds at all in xonotic itself doesnt help (that I've tested).

Ah, my system:
Win 7 x64; CPU: i7 920; GPU: HD6970; Ram: 18 or 24 gig, unsure atm.
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

-nosound did not change the lag for me.

DONT SET UR SETTINGS ON ULTRA WHEN UR GPU CANT TAKE IT

My pc:
Win7 ultimate
pentium 4
nvidia geforce 8500gt 512 mb
1 gb ram

works fine on high, slight lag on ultra but you only notice it looking at fps meter
[Image: steam.gif]

lol?

i keep my settings very low just out of habit from other games.

Is this the same with both the SDL and WGL binary?
And if you are on a 64 bit platform: Does switching 32/64 bit binary change anything?

the sdl launchers seem to have a slightly different kind of lag but it still exists in similar situations. and when i alt tab using them, my cursor is locked to the top left corner of my screen no matter what i try.

32 and 64 bit both act the same.

Am I correct in guessing all of you having the problem are running under Windows? Maybe all Windows 7? There's one correlation we have but with different hardware all round.

Windows is slower for the low quality settings in particular as it does not seem so good at CPU and memory management. Also turn off compositing if it is enabled.

The 64-bit executable should be faster than the 32-bit and the SDL is normally faster than the WGL.

Sudden slow downs when picking up items are frequently some sort of caching issue as has been stated. Does this happen on all quality settings? Try dropping to lower settings (OMG isn't really a fair comparison but you could try) and seeing what happens. Then try brute forcing your way through the different options and see if anything causes it to happen again or stop it.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(06-15-2012, 07:52 PM)Madoff Wrote: my cursor is locked to the top left corner of my screen no matter what i try.

I have that too, I use the SDL version at all times. It helps for me to go to the console (Shift-Escape or ~) before I Alt-Tab. Then I can use the mouse fine.

I do not have those lags anymore, but I used to have them on the race server whenever someone accomplished a good time and the 'medal' image was displayed. Three second lags easily. I kinda took them for what they were because I have a laptop with on-board nothingness that is capped at 40fps in Xonotic to prevent spontaneous reboots. But going by your system specs, i looks like you should not have to accept the lags ;]
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Models, items, and sky black after 0.8.5 update htsm92 0 661 08-15-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: htsm92
  [SOLVED] Where are the new simple items located? Antares* 2 2,473 12-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SOLVED] Change items models Andrii 19 14,889 09-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Andrii
  [SOLVED] Freezing zombil 12 8,886 07-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Spaceman