Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEEDS INFO] Help with Running the game (Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon)

I installed Xonotic via torrent and extracted it to my Home folder under my user name. I than attempted to run "xonotic-linux-glx.sh" and it did... nothing. I then tried running it in terminal, the terminal window opens and immediately closes itself. I did the same with "xonotic-linux-sdl.sh". Is there something I'm missing. I'm fairly new to Linux and would appreciate any help with setting the game up.

I've played other games installed via the software manager with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks in advance Smile

Can you open a terminal, navigate to the directory containing xonotic-linux-glx.sh and then do ./xonotic-linux-glix.sh ?

That way you can tell us what errors show up on the console when xonotic closes.

thomas@thomas-System-Product-Name ~/Xonotic $ ./xonotic-linux-glx.sh
Game is Xonotic using base gamedir data
Xonotic Linux 17:18:27 Mar 8 2012 - release
Current nice level is below the soft limit - cannot use niceness
Skeletal animation uses SSE code path
DPSOFTRAST available (SSE2 instructions detected)
execing quake.rc
execing default.cfg
execing defaultXonotic.cfg
execing sRGB-disable.cfg
menu: program is not loaded
execing weapons.cfg
execing cdtracks.cfg
execing balanceXonotic.cfg
execing ctfscoring-ai.cfg
execing effects-normal.cfg
execing physicsX.cfg
execing turrets.cfg
execing unit_machinegun.cfg
execing unit_hk.cfg
execing unit_hellion.cfg
execing unit_mlrs.cfg
execing unit_flac.cfg
execing unit_fusreac.cfg
execing unit_plasma.cfg
execing unit_plasma2.cfg
execing unit_tesla.cfg
execing unit_phaser.cfg
execing unit_walker.cfg
execing unit_ewheel.cfg
execing vehicles.cfg
execing vehicle_racer.cfg
execing vehicle_raptor.cfg
execing vehicle_spiderbot.cfg
execing vehicle_bumblebee.cfg
execing crosshairs.cfg
execing commands.cfg
execing _hud_common.cfg
execing _hud_descriptions.cfg
execing hud_luminos.cfg
execing config.cfg
"maxplayers" set to "16"
execing data/campaign.cfg
execing config_update.cfg
execing font-xolonium.cfg
Warning: Could not expand $scr_centersize
client: program is not loaded
execing autoexec/empty.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Quake Error: session lock /home/thomas/.xonotic/lock could not be acquired. Please run with -sessionid and an unique session name.

This is what I get when I navigate and run it.

This thread looks similar:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2981

Can you try this and see what happens?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Aha! Yes, give us the output of lsof ~/.xonotic/lock and ls -l ~/.xonotic/lock please Smile

thomas@thomas-System-Product-Name ~/Xonotic $ lsof ~/.xonotic/lock
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
xonotic-l 2704 thomas 9uW REG 8,17 0 20579187 /home/thomas/.xonotic/lock

thomas@thomas-System-Product-Name ~/Xonotic $ ls -l ~/.xonotic/lock
-rw-rw-r-- 1 thomas thomas 0 Jun 13 04:10 /home/thomas/.xonotic/lock

I also checked out the other thread and I wasn't quite sure how to make a launcher, I know how to transfer files between directories, just not how to create the launcher.

You don't have to make a launcher, that was a separate question from the post author.

It seems you have a xonotic process running, probably xonotic-linux-something?

Can you kill process 2704 (or if you rebooted, the process number appears after xonotic-l in that lsof output) and start xonotic from the terminal again?

(To kill the process, you can do pkill -9 2704)

My guess is that the first time you started xonotic, there was an error of some sort that caused it to close but not quite, leaving the lock file locked.

Success! The game launches, but now when I have it I have extremely low frame rates and the full screen isn't quite full screen, it is like like it just zooms in on a window, I've attached some screen shots.

Edit: In the screen shots you only see black, however when I run it I see other windows I have open. In addition the hot spot in the top right corner (that lets you see all currently open windows) still works when I'm supposed to be in full screen.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's odd. What graphics drivers do you use? What window manager / desktop environment is this? Did you set the right resolution in the video settings?

Maybe give windowed mode a try, too.

Or set vid_netwmfullscreen to 1. You can do this by opening the console in the menu with shift-escape and type vid_netwmfullscreen 1

I'm using Cinnamon which is a Gnome 3 fork made by Mint. The vid_netwmfullscreen 1 worked as far as the screen being all.. weird.. However I'm still getting low frame rates, I've got a NVidia GeForce GTX 560ti for my graphics card. The driver is the NVidia accelerated graphics driver that is up to date.

Does your window manager use compositing? Try to disable that if it does. To see if that's the issue maybe you can try it in a different WM, or even in a separate X session.

Give this a try: xinit ./xonotic-linux-glx.sh -- :1 (then, you can switch back and forth between your main X session and the xonotic X session with ctrl-alt-f7 and ctrl-alt-f8 usually, but it might be different f keys). Quitting Xonotic should get you back to the main X session.

//OFF TOPIC

I'd be interested to see how your GTX 560ti performs. Give the big benchmark a run. Smile

Let's get it running properly first! Tongue

What would be interesting to see is when running the game (now that it at least starts) if you could upload to pastebin or similar the full console output if you run it from a terminal. This will include information about how the graphics card is running. It would not be the first time that a graphics driver that is installed is actually broken in someway and is not hardware accelerated.

Some other useful things to try:
- run 'glxinfo | grep direct' from the terminal. You should get "direct rendering: Yes" returned if the hardware accelerated driver is being used.
- run 'glxgears' in the terminal. It is NOT a benchmark but may be useful for a rough diagnostic. You should get many thousands of frames per second. If you get much less, something is wrong. For comparison software rendering might give you a few hundred.

Quote:- run 'glxinfo | grep direct' from the terminal. You should get "direct rendering: Yes" returned if the hardware accelerated driver is being used.
- run 'glxgears' in the terminal. It is NOT a benchmark but may be useful for a rough diagnostic. You should get many thousands of frames per second. If you get much less, something is wrong. For comparison software rendering might give you a few hundred.

I did as you said edh and received "direct rendering: Yes" then I ran 'glxgears' and it had extremely low fps, terminal did not report the fps, because my computer froze. I rebooted, and now everything is fine 19k fps, I ran the game and I am now holding stable at 400+ fps. I guess I just had to reboot. Thanks for your help guys Smile

Edit: How would I run the Big Bench Mark I checked the link and the link's link, and I wasn't really sure how to generate the log for it

(06-13-2012, 06:40 PM)Tomb Wrote: I rebooted, and now everything is fine
Do you leave you computer running for days on end? A possibility is that the driver was installed or upgraded or the kernel upgraded and a reload of the nvidia module was required afterwards.
(06-13-2012, 06:40 PM)Tomb Wrote: 19k fps
You probably have compositing enabled (I get 18000 on a 9600GT with compositing disabled) so performance may not be ideal still. It should be possible to disable compositing dependant upon your window manager. I have a few hacks here for doing it via the Xonotic startup script if no clean automatic way exists:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2685

(06-13-2012, 06:40 PM)Tomb Wrote: Edit: How would I run the Big Bench Mark I checked the link and the link's link, and I wasn't really sure how to generate the log for it
Best way is in the terminal. cd into Xonotic/misc/tools/the-big-benchmark. Then run 'sh the-big-benchmark.sh'. This may take 15 minutes or so on your system and the game will open and close loads of times on loads of settings. It will write out to the terminal a little summary of the results which you can post to the Big Benchmark thread and the log can be found in Xonotic/data/the-big-benchmark.log.

Good luck. We have had a 560Ti 448 core run before:
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/3/wiki/H...quirements

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEEDS INFO] Xonotic settings file on linux ArchBerrie 2 4,988 07-15-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: ArchBerrie
  USB Mouse input on Linux dagelf 1 2,269 10-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] I REPEAT I need Help with Netradiant Taplio 4 3,231 09-23-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: fabzor3
  [NEEDS INFO] Corsair Strafe input lag in Linux Mint? FAF 1 1,622 08-18-2019, 03:14 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [NEED HELP] Missclick on Linux Mint Mate 19 RanDoom 4 3,045 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Last Post: RanDoom
  [NEEDS INFO] Linux install Old_Geekdad 7 4,470 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Zoommair
  Newb seeks help on Oilrig Pallama 7 4,794 10-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Last Post: illwieckz
Exclamation [SOLVED] Graphics issues on Intel Kaby Lake (HD630) hardware on Linux cefiar 9 9,474 04-19-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: cefiar
  [NEEDS INFO] Need help with xonotic on andoird Arctic_fly71 3 3,238 01-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Arctic_fly71
  [SOLVED] linux compile/link error BuddyFriendGuy 2 3,500 11-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy