Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Share your opinions only on weapon balance!

Quote:Don't worry asyyy, I'm just going to make a big conclusion with everyone's ideas in.
I don't question your good intentions but seriously:

- It's not correct to gather data without informing people how it will be used.
- Most people don't like if you take their opinion and then draw conclusions that shall represent them.
- I don't think you are the right person to do this, you don't seem to understand the big picture of what Samual is doing with weapon balance (yet).
- I also question the way you took a sample of people (I doubt they represent the population of all players well) and the way you asked for answers (open question with introducing personal opinion in OP).

But whatever, do what you think is right.

So much stupidity in a single post - don't worry I wont waste my time debating with you. And you can also put your insult in that place where the sun never shines.

Why close it? Some other people may have thoughts on the balance too...

Yeah, you know what, you're right Machine. I should keep this open.

(10-21-2012, 12:02 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Well, Mr B could you lock this thread please?

No, sorry, I'm staying out of this. I can't side with you on that one by not letting people respond.

No, they are relevant to the thread.

I hope that I don't necroposting right now...

I think most of Xonotic's weapons need damage boost. I am inexperienced Xonotic player, but I have a 12 years long Quake (I, II, III, QL) experience (and many other FPS games). Maybe I just got used to the higher damage, but after reading forum posts, I am pretty sure, that I'm not the only one, who thinks, that Xonotic's weapons should be more powerful.

Laser - this is actually a perfectly balanced weapon.
Shotgun - currently, full damage is about 65. It should be 100.
Machine Gun - if I'm correct, this weapon deals about 10 dmg/shot but I can't manage to use it efficiently.
Mortar - 50 dmg. Should be 80 or 90. Otherwise it's a great weapon.
Electro - 40 dmg per shot (basic mode). I really like this weapon but it would be better if it's damage was about 70. Alternatively electro can keep current damage, but its projectiles should two times faster and rate of fire should be multiplied by 1.4.
Crylink - the best weapon in terms of gameplay. I really enjoy using it. Damage in primary mode should be 120 (currently it's about 60).
Nex - I know this weapon is considered overpowered, but its damage should be 140, not 90.
Hagar - I really don't know. Theoretically it's a very good weapon (high rate of fire, 25 dmg/shot) but I don't know how to use it.
Rocket Lanucher - in my opinion, the worst of all Xonotic weapons in both terms of gameplay and efficiency. Rockets should move twice as fast, and damage should be at least 100.
Rifle - it's a Nex's clone. It should be redesigned or removed.

Mine Layer/HLAC/Fireball/Hook - no opinion or lack of experience.
[Image: 12684.png]

(01-31-2013, 12:17 PM)g4spr0m Wrote: Nex - I know this weapon is considered overpowered, but its damage should be 140, not 90.

YES! YES! YES! You are absolutely right!
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

g4spr0m: I agree with HLAC. Good point.
As it is for double dmg to all weapons: Not a good idea, mate.

Spawn weapon with 100dmg, seems legit.

@assy
It crossed my mind before, asyyy. The case is, shotgun is too weak (for this type of weapon compared to most games) and there is no real alternative for it (crylink is closest to shotgun, I think). In Q3A/QL/Open Arena, after spawn we have MG, but later we can find "super machine gun" - Ligtning Gun - it works almost the same as MG, but is better at any aspect (dmg, rof, acc). In our case, we need some kind of "super shotgun" to support "one-shot-short-range-high-damge" style of play. I believe that fast paced shooters should support many diffrent styles of play. While being wonderful game, Xonotic still lacks in this field. If I recall correctly this problem was mentioned in another topic.
[Image: 12684.png]

(01-31-2013, 04:03 PM)g4spr0m Wrote: @assy
It crossed my mind before, asyyy. The case is, shotgun is too weak (for this type of weapon compared to most games) and there is no real alternative for it (crylink is closest to shotgun, I think). In Q3A/QL/Open Arena, after spawn we have MG, but later we can find "super machine gun" - Ligtning Gun - it works almost the same as MG, but is better at any aspect (dmg, rof, acc). In our case, we need some kind of "super shotgun" to support "one-shot-short-range-high-damge" style of play. I believe that fast paced shooters should support many diffrent styles of play. While being wonderful game, Xonotic still lacks in this field. If I recall correctly this problem was mentioned in another topic.

As a spawn weapon, it should be weak. Now if you wanted to make it a pickup weapon and remove it from the spawned arsenal, I could see upping the damage. Warsow has just one spawn weapon, which resembles our laser but with less push and more damage. I like the current laser, but I'm not sure it would be enough solo.

The 'Rocket Lanucher' in Xonotic is one of my favorite rocket launchers of any arena shooter. It's so versatile, it lends itself to so many tactics for so many different situations. Very slick weapon, but damage/splash adjustments are definitely a tough call. My second favorite rocket launcher is from the original UT.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

@ g4spr0m

I'm pretty sure asyyy knows how the spawn weapons is designed in most other arena games. Also, most players actually wanna decrease SG's damage.

What do I do with this thread? The discussion above doesn't abide by OP's request, so I'll have to either split it off or end it.

I love how this thread really would only be relevant to me, but it's absolutely unnecessary to me anyway.

Information 
Yes, beucase the weapon balance ain't the problem; the weapon switch are...

Bleh.

rocknroll237, PM me if you have plans for this thread. It'll be closed for now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 620 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,794 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Casual vanilla balance martin-t 59 37,389 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Beemann
  [SUGGESTION] What are your thoughts on wallclipping? Smilecythe 20 15,494 01-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,668 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016 hutty 28 19,588 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Yet another physics and balance revamp Lee_Stricklin 3 3,803 04-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,051 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Loading only one player model when forcing cccxd 1 2,769 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Reversion Balance - Feedback / Suggestions asyyy 0 3,242 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: asyyy