Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some words in a language can make sense in another

but with completely different meanings, as you might already know.

(I originally thought I would give you some examples, but have decided to omit them except the last one in order to shorten the whole length of my humbling post.)

The last but not the least is, sorry to say, "Xonotic". The word, when pronounced like "kso-notic" or rather "kson-otic" which I guess the majority of the Japanese would prefer, sounds like "kso-no-tek" (クソのテク), which in their language would mean "mastery of bowel movemets" or "a great skill in the act of pooping", a totally strange and stupid phrase most good and sane people would never think of even for a moment in their whole life. Actually, "kson-otic" is a bit too long to be used in spoken Japanese conversation, so it is highly likely to be abbreviated to "kso" (クソ), which simply means "sh!t" or "of the very poorest quality you can ever imagine", the exact opposite of what the game really is. Further more, bacause any Japanese person with a reasonable level of intelligence will probably understand that the suffix "-ic" creates adjectives and is actually used in his own language just like "みたい", the sound "kson-otic" itself possibly gives him a wrong impression that it might be an unfamiliar Japanese compound word meaning "クソみたい" (sh!tty) or something of that kind.

Therefore, the "zo-notic" pronounciation, which I believe just sounds like a foreign word and thus less awkward to most of the Japanese, should be strongly encouraged among them, though sensible people would avoid the embarrassing alternative by themselves.

Thank you for reading to the very end. I wonder where the word came from, by the way. The beginning X makes me guess it were a Greek word.

This is fantastic.

As far as I know, it *is* supposed to be pronounced zo'notic. If it isn't yet, I guess it will have to!

AFAIR there was a point in the faq referring to pronunciation. It said that both are good, the kso- for europe and zo- for usa. Asian languages can just use the usa version ;-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Zoonotic? Maybe it will have elephants, tigers and stuff?

Everything is going to mean something rude in some other language... Anyone know why the Honda Fit (rest of world) is sold as the Honda Jazz in Europe? It's because 'Fit' is very rude in some Scandinavian countries.

I don't think Japan has a major (any?) player base for Xonotic as it happens so Japanese is not that relevant. If it meant something rude in a European language I think we'd have had it pointed out some time ago!

As for the names, here were some suggestions:
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/3/wiki/Names?version=1

There have been many queries about the name in the forums too.

I did recently go through converting the name into phonetics somewhere on the forums based upon the most common pronunciation: 'zun-ott-ick'
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

I remember m$ once released a windows for cloud and called it 'windows strata' - 'strata' in Polish means 'loss'. Another thing from m$ is their search engine 'bing', it supposedly means 'crap' in some Chinese dialect ;-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Still, nothing beats infamous GAN4 sign.

No, Quake is mastery of bowel movements. You have to know precisely when to crap yourself to do better against that shambler on nightmare...
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Mitsubish Pajero.

See the spanish translation: P-a-j-e-r-o
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

Toyota MR2

French translation of m-e-r-d-e
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Mazda Frendee
Ford Freda
Ford Probe
Mitsubishi Pajero Junior Flying Pug
Mazda LaPuta
Datsun Cedric
Leyland Beaver
GM not using the 'Nova' name in Spain...

The car world is full of them.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rendering with one graphics card, outputting video with another. Can it be done? Lee_Stricklin 0 3,218 08-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Rainbow [How To] Make this game more popular. _para 17 13,598 04-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Kim Jong-Ben
  IPS 144 Hz is great (if your PC can handle it) Lyberta 3 4,898 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Kirklin
  We can pretty much declare Quake Live dead Lee_Stricklin 21 24,721 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Wink Splatoon, Cause Nintendo Can FPS Too Orbiter Sunblast 2 4,484 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  can i delete my own post? It'sMe 7 8,855 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Music Just some neurofunk-y dubsteppish cool tune I made unfa 0 4,168 05-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Do you modify/make maps for games other than Xonotic? Harmata 7 8,736 10-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  [SOLVED]Experiencing Some Internet Problems anark10n 4 5,291 09-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Can anyone recommend a good Linux distro for me? rocknroll237 47 45,753 08-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Last Post: machine!