Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Into the fray!

Rainbow 
Hello fraggers and fraggees, Chronos here! In my everlasting search for a proper FPS (You know, one where hiding behind a box the entire match doesn't work), I've found my way back to Xonotic, which I only spent a small bit of time on about a year ago.

I don't know why I didn't stick around last time, but damn it is this game awesome, so I intend to keep playing this time. I tend to fall off the maps a lot at the moment, and am not fully acquainted with each weapon yet, but once I learn wtf I am doing, it's on. Big Grin

I've also developed for various games in various ways over the years, and while I'm not probably up for anything serious here (From what I've seen, I couldn't keep up with the awesome devs here anyway these days Tongue), I'd really like to get into mapping here, so we'll see how that goes.

One question for those of you who know all the "goings ons" around Xonotic here. Are there any plans regarding changes to the current movement system? I actually love the system that's being used, it is why I like the game in the first place, but I notice that regular bunny hopping seems to limit at about 800 qu's (or 73 km/h I think). This is actually plenty for normal play, and I wouldn't want it going any higher for the "hold down space and forward and gain speed" system, but I think it would be nice to have the possibility to go faster without using external forms of acceleration somehow.

As I mentioned earlier, I would like to get into mapping, and I am a bit of a whore for advanced movement so I would like to make trick and race maps. I'm a big fan of long bunny courses, and while it's easily possible to make these with the current system, it is really rewarding in other games to get near the end of a long course doing huge jumps thanks to all the speed you've built up, so is there any consideration for things like this? I'm certainly loving this game either way and will take advantage of it either way, just figured I'd ask.

This is getting kind of wordy, so, see you guys in-game! Cool

Hi.

Welcome!

I dont think they will change the movement, and if you want to get more speed you can either strafe jump or laser jump.

Here is some mapping tutorials:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=64

If you like racing there is 2 servers for tha I think, 1 is called CTS server something and the other 1 force-crusaders.com.

Hope you enjoy the game! :-)

Welcome to Xonotic!

Thanks everybody. Big Grin

(06-21-2012, 02:51 AM)K__ Wrote: Welcome!

I dont think they will change the movement, and if you want to get more speed you can either strafe jump or laser jump.

Here is some mapping tutorials:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=64

If you like racing there is 2 servers for tha I think, 1 is called CTS server something and the other 1 force-crusaders.com.

Hope you enjoy the game! :-)

I was aware of laser and rocket jumping (I like how these are setup here as well), though I meant speed gained by movement alone. Strafe jumping didn't seem to go any higher than that cap when I tried it either, though I may have just been inattentive, I'll give it another go when I get the chance.

Thanks for the link. I don't think I will have too many problems getting into mapping here, as I've done it for many other games, and used other variants of Radiant. Hopefully I haven't lost my touch with them. Tongue

Hello Chronos!

Have fun and enjoy ;-)
When i read your name i think of the Chronos defrag maps, ... are you responsible for them?

Perhaps we meet each other ingame.

Greetings
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

Are you related to the user Eros? You registered just after him! That's a funny coincidence.

(06-21-2012, 10:27 AM)RaptorFX Wrote: Hello Chronos!

Have fun and enjoy ;-)
When i read your name i think of the Chronos defrag maps, ... are you responsible for them?

Greetings

I was going to ask this exact question also, as I love Chronos maps Smile

Oh welcome also Cool
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Thanks (again) everybody. Smile

(06-21-2012, 12:36 PM)kojn^ Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 10:27 AM)RaptorFX Wrote: Hello Chronos!

Have fun and enjoy ;-)

Greetings

I was going to ask this exact question also, as I love Chronos maps Smile

Oh welcome also Cool

I am not that Chronos, though I am familiar with some of his work in the short amount of time I spent on DeFrag. The maps from that game actually provide quite a bit of inspiration to me, there are so many done so beautifully and they just seem to be cranked out all the time.

(06-21-2012, 11:24 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Are you related to the user Eros? You registered just after him! That's a funny coincidence.

Hah, no, I am not, but that is a pretty awesome coincidence. :p

Howdy.

Welcome!

AFAIK it might happen that physics will get some tweaks still. Those I heard of are not about 800qu/s speed limit but they could make that limit redundant. So voice your opinions!
Also, physics on the CTS server have no speed limit. And I have a physics of the kind you wrote about (limit on classic bunny, but not on strafing) on one of my servers (the one with air control) so if you happen to try it some day, pm me how does it feel.

(06-22-2012, 07:59 AM)_Subzero_ Wrote: Welcome!

AFAIK it might happen that physics will get some tweaks still. Those I heard of are not about 800qu/s speed limit but they could make that limit redundant. So voice your opinions!
Also, physics on the CTS server have no speed limit. And I have a physics of the kind you wrote about (limit on classic bunny, but not on strafing) on one of my servers (the one with air control) so if you happen to try it some day, pm me how does it feel.

Thanks! That sounds pretty awesome, I have been out the last couple days, but when I get back home I will be sure to check it out. It certainly wouldn't be a problem for it to stay the way it is, but I think there is a tiny bit more potential for advanced players to be able to go above the current cap.

I will definitely take a look at those servers when I am back home and see how it is, thanks for the info.