Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
z‧y‧k‧u‧r‧e

Hi y'all, I just started with Xonotic last week, so I thought it's time to introduce myself here Big Grin

So, my nick is Zykure (in Xonotic I will go by the form you see in the thread subject), and I'm from Germany. Some people may recognize my avatar, and yes, I'm a Metalhead\m/ That doesn't mean that I don't like Xonotic's game music, though; in fact, I extracted the music from the .pk3 and put it into my Music library... Some tracks are really awesome!

I always loved fast FPS games, starting with UT back around 2000, but always preferred UT over Quake (also because we did many private LAN parties back then, and all my friends and me only played UT, Half-Life, and Battlefield). However, the last few years I didn't have much time and motivation to keep this FPS gaming up. When I checked out Nexuiz about two years ago, I thought "Whoa, that's a freeakin' fast game", and I didn't really get the hang to it. But since I felt the need for some FPS gaming lately, I decided to give it a 2nd chance; then it didn't take me long to find out that there's also Xonotic now. Well, and that's how I went here... I had/have to "reestablish" my skills lost in the last years, but now I'm really impressed by this game, and I love the overall feel to it. It's fast, and it's fun!

Apart from the gaming itself, I would also love to contribute to Xonotic! As I have quite some coding skills (at least I think I have) in C/C++ and other languages, contributing to the code would be my first option. You could also call me a Linux hacker, so I know my way around compiling, using VCS (Git FTW!) etc. One thing I always wanted to check out is how FPS game engines work. I have some basic knowledge of OpenGL, too, so I think I will go through the engine sources sometime in the future (not in the next 1.5 months though, not much time...). So, does anyone know some good tutorials or the like to the Quake or Darkplaces engine?? Of course, I may also be able to help with the game mechanics, fixing bugs etc.; but I'm sure it will take some time to get into the code first. Do you have some hints where to get started?

I will hang around in #xonotic and #xonotic-de from time to time, so I may bug you with questions there, too! Tongue
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Welcome :-)

"You could also call me a Linux hacker"
Have been hacking around with the kernel? Or do you just use the name Linux over GNU/Linux?

"I'm a Metalhead\m/"

Me too \m/, lov all metal but mostly prog metal, like this new "djent" genre that you probably heard of :-)

(06-21-2012, 03:49 AM)K__ Wrote: Have been hacking around with the kernel? Or do you just use the name Linux over GNU/Linux?

Well, kinda both! Some years ago I used Slackware Linux, which included hacking around in almost every damn file there is, and also regularly compile my own Kernel and so on. (I even tried to patch my wireless card's driver once, but as I remember the issue was then already fixed in the next release.) But now I've gotten a bit lazy, and just use Ubuntu with its precompiled kernel Big Grin

(06-21-2012, 03:49 AM)K__ Wrote: "I'm a Metalhead\m/"
Me too \m/, lov all metal but mostly prog metal, like this new "djent" genre that you probably heard of :-)

Well I'm more into death and thrash metal, and especially djent is a genre I don't like that much Wink On the other hand, there is some really decent progressive death out there (Beyond Creation, Augury, Obscura, Illogicist, to name a few). But of course, it's all a matter of personal taste. Glad to see some metalheads around here!

Hey, welcome! I used to be a metal head, does that count? :p
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

About programming matters, read this welcome thread: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3123

Welcome.

The German IRC Channel is #xonotic.de (not -de). We will meet there in a few weeks when I return. Big Grin
Also -> #xonotic.pickup

Punk! \o/ > Metal
Tongue

Welcome to Xonotic!

@Mr. Bougo: Thanks for the link, I think I'll have a look at the QuakeC stuff first when I find the time.

@Mirio: Ah you're right, that was just a typo from my side.

So, how exactly does #xonotic.pickup work? I figure it's supposed to be used to set up games, but why not just join some server and get going? Big Grin

And punk's cool, too! I started out with Bad Religion and still listen to them sometimes, but now it's metal mostly.

Hallo und willkommen bei uns.

Ich hoffe es gefällt dir hier und du hast Lust dein mit deinen Fähigkeiten dazu beizutragen Xonotic zu verbessern Angel
Die Entwickler können immer Hilfe gebrauchen.

Also bis auf bald im Spiel, hoffentlich hab ich ne Chance gegen einen alten UT Hasen Big Grin
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

Hi, welcome.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Howdy. I'm a rock/metal fan too. Maiden, GN'R, Rush, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Alice in Chains, Led Zep... they're all awesome bands. Not keen on really heavy stuff like Slipknot. Can't stand the annoying grunts and screaming, not to mention the monotonous riffs.

(06-21-2012, 10:28 AM)zykure Wrote: @Mirio: Ah you're right, that was just a typo from my side.

So, how exactly does #xonotic.pickup work? I figure it's supposed to be used to set up games, but why not just join some server and get going? Big Grin

And punk's cool, too! I started out with Bad Religion and still listen to them sometimes, but now it's metal mostly.

Pickup is for games with advanced players (high skill/competitive).

Basic commands:

!add <gamemode> <playercount>

Example: !add ctf 10 ->> adds you for 5v5 CTF

The bot sends a notification with the server IP (Mumble info always in channel topic) and the players (also captains for teamgames) when 10 players added (in this example).

You remove from games with !remove or disconnct from the the channel.

*Looks at the sig* #dccdelight is at ARCNet btw.

(06-21-2012, 04:37 AM)zykure Wrote: Well, kinda both! Some years ago I used Slackware Linux, which included hacking around in almost every damn file there is, and also regularly compile my own Kernel and so on. (I even tried to patch my wireless card's driver once, but as I remember the issue was then already fixed in the next release.) But now I've gotten a bit lazy, and just use Ubuntu with its precompiled kernel Big Grin

Aa, okey I thought first you were a Linux dev or something xD

(06-21-2012, 04:37 AM)zykure Wrote: Well I'm more into death and thrash metal, and especially djent is a genre I don't like that much Wink On the other hand, there is some really decent progressive death out there (Beyond Creation, Augury, Obscura, Illogicist, to name a few). But of course, it's all a matter of personal taste. Glad to see some metalheads around here!

Okey well tere is some really good "djent"(i dont wanna call it that but whatever) such as vildhjarta, I recommend give it a try :-)

But I like all metal, especially live, my last concert i went to was metaltown festival.

Headbanging and moshing Ftw \m/ :-D

(06-22-2012, 06:11 AM)Mirio Wrote: Pickup is for games with advanced players (high skill/competitive).

Ah thanks, that indeed sounds useful. I'm gonna check this out once I improved my skills a bit. Big Grin

(06-22-2012, 06:11 AM)Mirio Wrote: *Looks at the sig* #dccdelight is at ARCNet btw.

Huh? It's still IRC, isn't it???

Oh by the way, does #dccdelight work both ways, i.e. I can talk to the gamers, too? I always thought it was one-way only.

Yes it's still IRC, just not QuakeNet (I assumed you did not know Wink).

Yes you can talk to people on the server, just type the server-bot in front of your message, e.g.:

dcc_ctf: Hello

There are other channels like this in QuakeNet:

#exile.xonotic
#exile.xonotic.1v1
#mon.sa

... I can't spell the channel of the CTS server. Undecided

Two weeks after, and I still love the game. And even better: the community is just awesome! I found so many cool things - interesting game modes (like Overkill), xonstat, the IRC channels, the pickup system, duel commentaries and player interviews (which are also very informative), ...

The feeling I get is that of a real "living" community - it reminds me of the early years of Wikipedia. And that's just great!

Small communities with active members are always the best ones :-)

So, we should try to keep our community as small as we can, right? ...
Then maybe we should not be so gentle to others Tongue
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

The more the merrier tbh. We want to expand right? Big Grin

Yeah, I don't think a community has to be small, it just needs to have the right kind of people Smile

Well I don't mean we should not evolve and grow bigger, I just mean that these small communities are often the best ones :-)

Welcome, z‧y‧k‧u‧r‧e! Smile

Welcome z‧y‧k‧u‧r‧e!

If you'd like to contribute to the project, feel free to look around on the tracker http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/issues for small projects, so you can make yourself familiar with the codebase, and also the structure of the game.

For git repository access read these:
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Git
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...ory_Access

The developers' IRC channel is #xonotic @ irc.freenode.org
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Hallo zykure Smile
[Image: 11436.png] (PLAY/Drunk/Rudi_Aut ^^)