Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WoX-BloX Issue #4: Developer news

Yo all!

I'm happy to announce you all the 4th issue of WoX-BloX! You can read about the latest development news here:

http://www.xonotic.org/2012/06/wox-blox-...oper-news/

Many thanks to fisume, who helped me in writing this blog!

hmm, so weapon balance changes...
- how do you want to keep laser/shot/melee in one weapon?
- dropping MG? wtf... it never was the murder weapon but it was enough to kill ppl with good weapons and low acc, now I'm sad
- "New toys" won't work anyway because servers rarely change presets and maps do not reflect this anyway
- separate ammo for nex could be interesting, will make nex whoring slightly more difficult but it won't stop good players, but again, one weapon ammo? And this confirms that nex as the best weapon cause you are getting rid of rifle
- streamline confusing stuff? Do not get this one.
- features for competetive players? What features?
- simple items - sorry but I don't see the point
- trains and cube maps are awesome

great work btw

I'm quite sure simple items pic is out of date now, even not including my changes. I'd use this one, it is the last one in that thread.

Quote:hmm, so weapon balance changes...
- how do you want to keep laser/shot/melee in one weapon?
- dropping MG? wtf... it never was the murder weapon but it was enough to kill ppl with good weapons and low acc, now I'm sad
- "New toys" won't work anyway because servers rarely change presets and maps do not reflect this anyway
- separate ammo for nex could be interesting, will make nex whoring slightly more difficult but it won't stop good players, but again, one weapon ammo? And this confirms that nex as the best weapon cause you are getting rid of rifle

I'm not sure this is a proper thread for this kind of feedback.

Quote:- simple items - sorry but I don't see the point

Tee hee, you don't have to, others do. After all, nobody forces you to use it, right?

Anyway, other stuff worth mentioning are ongoing vehicle balance changes. If not now, then for next issue.

(06-24-2012, 04:34 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: one weapon ammo?

I'm not sure if this is really true. When I talked with Samual about this a few times the conclusion was to get rid of Bullets and split up Cells into 2 ammo types.

Nice issue :-) what does "WoX BloX" stand for Btw?

WoX-BloX translates to “World of Xonotic – Blogs”
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Oki :-)

+1 to CuBe for compiling these!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Nice article. Can't wait for the community Wox-Blox.

Quote:- how do you want to keep laser/shot/melee in one weapon?
Still in discussion.
Quote:- dropping MG? wtf... it never was the murder weapon but it was enough to kill ppl with good weapons and low acc, now I'm sad
It is not being dropped, it is just put into a mutator, it is also probably gonna be more powerful or replaced by a chaingun.
Quote:- "New toys" won't work anyway because servers rarely change presets and maps do not reflect this anyway
Maps will be modified to work with this ofc. And if you want it on a server you can host one, it is not that hard or time consuming as you might think.
Quote:- separate ammo for nex could be interesting, will make nex whoring slightly more difficult but it won't stop good players, but again, one weapon ammo? And this confirms that nex as the best weapon cause you are getting rid of rifle
Still in discussion.
Quote:- streamline confusing stuff? Do not get this one.
If you do not understand this one then please play other games to and review their weapons and item systems. After you done that come back and you'll see that this can be improved in Xonotic.
Quote:- features for competetive players? What features?
Simple items. New weapon balance and removed "unbalanced" weapons to a mutator. Seperated nexrifle ammo.
Quote:- simple items - sorry but I don't see the point
Question answered above.

thanks for the answers, even though I still don't get some of the decisions but ok, lets see what will come out of it.

(06-26-2012, 08:05 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: thanks for the answers, even though I still don't get some of the decisions but ok, lets see what will come out of it.

Please ask what you do not get, but in its proper thread.

As far as upcoming changes are concerned, IMO it's best idea to let devs implement them, playtest it, then give feedback if old way was indeed better.

Welp, now the main feature that interested me in Xonotic (lots of weapons) is a mutator, and the game is now tourney-oriented. Why do you need another streamlined FPS if Quake from 1 to Live is like that?
Eh.

Simply beucase QL is dying and it has thousends of players which are waiting for ID or Epic doing the next arena shooter, but now they dont have to wait, now they can move on to Xonotic.

(06-30-2012, 12:04 AM)Harmata Wrote: Welp, now the main feature that interested me in Xonotic (lots of weapons) is a mutator, and the game is now tourney-oriented. Why do you need another streamlined FPS if Quake from 1 to Live is like that?
Eh.

(06-30-2012, 02:15 AM)K__ Wrote: Simply beucase QL is dying and it has thousends of players which are waiting for ID or Epic doing the next arena shooter, but now they dont have to wait, now they can move on to Xonotic.

Both of you are wrong.
I hoped "new toys" won't bring up this confusion, but let me explain, becasue it seems a lot people misunderstood what's it for.

"New toys" mutator doens't remove ANY weapons. In fact, it only adds more.
By default weapon balance, there'll be only the 8 core weapons spawning on any map. "New toys" guns, even if they have spawn points simply will be ignored (see B later!). Also, all the other guns will be removed from your starting arsenal in warmup mode too.
Now, when new toys will be set, there are two possible scenarios to happen:

A: Certain weapons might get replaced on spawn, eg. where the Nex should spawn, there's a 30% (not sure about the number) chance that a Rifle will spawn. Same for crylink vs H.L.A.C and many other.

B: There are proper spawn points on the map for the new toys too, but the guns will only spawn if the mutator is set. This might be the best scenario for lot of existing maps, because with the mapinfo, one can force the mutator to be temporarly set for the map.

As you can see, NO GUNS will be removed. I actually don't even see that why the MG will be removed, as it'd be more fruitful to rather move to new toys. I suppose that'll happen on the long run.

Now, on the confusion about "Is Xonotic a tourney-oriented or fun, casual game"? It is both. Problem is, that we don't have enough developers to focus on both sides right now in the same way, so those few who enjoy working on an issue might overshadow those topics that nobody works on yet.
Though it might seem from this Wox-BloX that only the competitive part is being worked on, I have to tell you that tZork and Morphed is working a lot on vehicles too - this can't be called for competitive in any ways, can it? The reason it is not mentioned yet is because tZork asked me, as it's still early in development, essentially not much is achieved or done yet, the next issue of development blog however should cover the changes, as he most probably will finish them by that time.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

2K__
That will not be enough for Xonotic success, i'm sure. Also, [citation needed] for that "QL is dying" piece.
2C.Brutail
"fun, casual game", ehem, fun /= cassual

(06-30-2012, 12:04 AM)Harmata Wrote: Welp, now the main feature that interested me in Xonotic (lots of weapons) is a mutator, and the game is now tourney-oriented. Why do you need another streamlined FPS if Quake from 1 to Live is like that?
Eh.

[Image: 133886980556.jpg]

rafallus, please :|

(06-30-2012, 03:41 AM)Harmata Wrote: 2C.Brutail
"fun, casual game", ehem, fun /= cassual
Great, if that's your only objection we can consider this debate over.

EDIT: Stay constructive and on topic, remember that this is a news post.

Seriously, what does this dude brings to the discussion. All he did is "Why do we need another streamlined fps?". How is this even close to being constructive? Does this point any specific shortcomings? IMO all he does is to crap on the topic, because is afraid his beloved QL might get a competition. And his second post just reinforced that. All that person brings is negativity, negativity, and yet more negativity.

Which is why I'm asking him to be constructive too Smile

First of all, i didn't have debate with you, Mr. Bougo, secondly it wasn't a debate, i just told my opinion. Your "beware, troll" posts were much less "constructive" than mine, rafallus.
My QL account was deleted because of inactivity like a year ago, or something. And it was second account, first had the same faith.

@rafallus

+1

cool update , thankyou cubey Smile

a note though , i still would like a music update one day , just saying :/

oh and t

t

:^

can't wait to check it out i shut down my server due to the fact that installing custom maps beyond the distributed package became too much of a project to get working so i'll be looking foward to having some more maps to mess around in. keep up the good work! Big Grin

-cheers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good news everyone! CuBe0wL 12 14,932 09-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Tourney news: 1v1 Grand finals CuBe0wL 2 5,900 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Sless
Information WoX-BloX Issue #3 – Community news CuBe0wL 7 22,791 01-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Vargos
Information WoX-BloX Issue #2 - Community news CuBe0wL 11 12,224 12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Soelen
Information WoX-BloX Issue #1 - Developer news CuBe0wL 8 10,415 11-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Droid