Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapping Tutorials

If you'd like to make it with these videos to the main site, I'd honestly leave out all tauntings. Unprofessional, and doesn't get us anywhere.
I'd also suggest you to do as less system specific stuff as you can.

basic outline of first video
-- where to get mapping tools

Good idea. Tell that this tutorial video will be about setting up netradiant on linux, with precompiled binaries.
Save git madness for a later video. You can tell that you won't cover that right now, but will do in another one.

-- extracting zips ? (I sure hope everyone knows how to do that)
Don't mock here anybody, just tell that on most systems extracting a zip works oob.

-- putting pk3 thing in data dir

Totally wrong habit, especially in linux. You have your home directory, and the hidden .xonotic directory there also. You have to keep your Xonotic install clean, that's why ALWAYS put anything in ~/.xonotic/data

-- compiling radaint (I think ill set up a fresh vmware machine for this) just realized I am actually running a bit low on disk space ... maybe I don't think having a third copy of xonotic (and kde based linux) on my system is a good idea ... I will briefly go over it instead

You should focus on installing from binary here, not compiling from sources. That should go into a second video, with full step by step instructions on how to use xonotic git, ask for write access etc.

-- running radiant (again taunt windows users on how ugly theirs is)
No taunting again Tongue

-- end of video 1
READY
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Let him just make them!

hutty: don't try follow everyones opinion, do what you think is fun so we'll get tutorial and not a super long discussion abou them. Smile

precompiled bianaries??? is that a new thing ? ... I have always needed to compile netradiant ...only windows had precompiled stuffs

ok... i'll leave out the taunting ...

I wasn't going to touch git

wait ... I can put stuff in my .xonotic dir?????? instead of the main data dir???

... actually now that I think about it that makes perfect sense ... seeing as that is where I save my maps ...

btw .... anybody know the .xonotic file paths for windows and linux?

(07-09-2012, 09:57 AM)hutty Wrote: btw .... anybody know the .xonotic file paths for windows and linux?
In My Documnets in Windows, it's in Saved Games/xonotic something like that I believe, on GNU/Linux it's ~/.xonotic/data

Actually it's ~/.xonotic/data on *NIX. That includes Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Darwin / Mac OS.

(07-09-2012, 10:46 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Actually it's ~/.xonotic/data on *NIX. That includes Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Darwin / Mac OS.

I know, but is Xonotic been ported to those?

FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/po...s/xonotic/
And Nexuiz run on OpenSolaris successfully at one point it seems, http://blog.sartek.net/2008/04/nexuiz-on...laris.html

And of course, Mac OS builds are released officially on this site.

Okey cool, is there anyone for haiku-os? Smile

EDIT: Sorry for being off-topic

Ask that on this topic! http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3194

Back on topic in this thread now Wink

gaa ... sry ... I meant win and mac ... I know ehre the linux one is ... but looks like you answered that

... now about precompiled bianaries ... where are those ... only windows version is precompiled in the mapping support pk3

http://ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/ never got the GNU/Linux ones to work though..

You should PM C.Brutail about this, since he seemed to know... I think?

compile the one in the mapping support pk3 ... I couldn't get those to work either

Compile the git version instead in the tutorial, it's the only way I've been able to get NetRadiant to work.

git is messy .... and difficult to work with ... and huge

however the mapping support comes from the autobuild .... which is close to git ... compileing the version in that worked for me

change of plans again ...

I am having some serious mapping's block(brush ... whatever) right now ... so I am actully having issues comming up with a good duel map layout ... instead (unless I come up with something) I will remake warfare farewell (got the name wrong Tongue) instead ... besides being a great map it also covers ... bounces ... teles ... voids ... and lots of things ... soo great for tutorials

edited :: look above

Haha, mapper brush, good one.

(07-12-2012, 06:35 PM)hutty Wrote: I am actully having issues comming up with a good duel map layout

I thought about writing a small article about creating duel maps (after I finished my current map) with a very easy "method" I found out (if I can say so), just saying... Tongue

You guys maybe have already read this one, but here is is anyway Tongue

http://www.goodstuffmaynard.com/portfoli...ndent/cdg/

machine! One big hug for ya! I ve read what you linked and now Im truly getting hooked on mapping! thanks to you I have now basic experience about mapping! What previously I ve been doing instinctively , now- I am consious and know what why, and how. Thanks to you and thanks to these guys, who wrote down that tutorials.

+1

Guys, if you find any important web pages/videos, ask tZork to post them here: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=64

Or maybe you could merge the threads?

(07-17-2012, 05:28 AM)Justin Wrote: machine! One big hug for ya! I ve read what you linked and now Im truly getting hooked on mapping! thanks to you I have now basic experience about mapping! What previously I ve been doing instinctively , now- I am consious and know what why, and how. Thanks to you and thanks to these guys, who wrote down that tutorials.

+1

NP! Smile

no vids yet

... however I have started on the wiki

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...ating_Maps

It needs a lot of polish ... so dont fret about it

however any help with specifics (like mac and windows stuff) would help

the old Creating_Maps page has been moved to Old_Creating_Maps

the french page hasn't been touched ... ( and i dont plan too ... i dont speak french)

4 u Sleepy Heart Heart Heart

Good job hutty! Big Grin

Obviously this is not the final version yet, but I want to make sure of something. hutty, you *really* need to drop all of the "..."s in your tutorial and replace them with proper punctuation. Also, use capital letters! I don't mind it at all on the forum, but for long texts like this one it's really tiring on the eye and mind.

It's also advised not to use hard line breaks inside of paragraphs. Only use double line breaks (to start a new paragraph), never a single one (starting a new line inside a paragraph makes no sense.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relief Mapping - Performance Improvement - Beta v2 master[mind] 39 45,665 11-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Xonotic Game Engine, Mapping, Development - General Developer Questions p14r 6 10,218 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Last Post: p14r
  [SOLVED] misc_model : Support for specular and relief mapping? Maddin 5 6,573 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Maddin
Exclamation Join the Xonotic mapping team Mirio 2 11,815 06-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Maddin
Brick Proposal to change the mapping procedure for official Xonotic maps CuBe0wL 21 33,037 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Samual
  My mapping ideas - pick one! CuBe0wL 28 30,582 07-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
Question Mapping with Blender? unfa 8 8,599 03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Sepelio
  Development tutorials Erusavion 7 9,359 05-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Last Post: FruitieX