Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a map to match a real-life scale?

I'm trying to create a map of a real-life location that I have plans for. What's the easiest way to make sure the scale of my map is such that the perspective in-game will approximate real-life?

I seem to remember reading somewhere a rule-of-thumb regarding map units to feet, but don't recall the details. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Due to the high movement speed and the physics, a location sized according to real-life will seem extremely crammed and small.

Don't even bother to try it in Xonotic.

Some famous level designer (forgot name) said once, that "multiplayer levels are travesty of real locations - keep that in mind".

I'd considered that, but I'll likely be slowing things down quite a bit anyway, so I'm not too concerned with pacing -- just the perspective. In my tests so far, things actually tend to look way too big...

I'd considered just tweaking the FOV settings until a view on screen matches real-life, but that will take quite a bit more trial-and-error than I'd prefer...

Keep in mind that 64 QuakeUnits= 8feet
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

Wrong, or rather: 64qu=8ft is true in Quake. In Xonotic, player height is historically derived from Half-Life. And therefore, the unit is 1 inch, so 12qu=1ft.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(06-28-2012, 08:42 AM)divVerent Wrote: Wrong, or rather: 64qu=8ft is true in Quake. In Xonotic, player height is historically derived from Half-Life. And therefore, the unit is 1 inch, so 12qu=1ft.

Thanks! That's bascically exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!

Note, that players can jump a lot higher and run a LOT faster then you can do in real life. The gravity is different too.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

although 1 unti = 1 inch ... I find that scaling everything after the doors in the trak4x texture pack works out nicely

take the height of a player as a constant and derive rest of the measures from it