Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] UI: Checkboxes

This is a point that has always been a bit strange to me. Why use a cross to depict a selection? Checkboxes in almost every other piece of software typically use a fill colour or a tick to represent this, why not here? It's rather confusing (this happened to me) to a player to immediately associate it with a selection. For instance, some of the settings that come as default, how is a player supposed to know it means they are turned on. A cross does not immediately convey that a setting is turned on, espcially when a cross is then used elsewhere in the UI to cancel a choice i.e close a window.

That it should be obvious when you compare to other checkboxes is not something a player should be subjected to. Imagine if the button to close a window had been made a tick instead, how obvious would it immediately be that it means closing a window? Even if a user goes through this confusion once and adjusts accordingly, it is one time to many. This is not even a UI element for a radical new form of interaction, it simply an on/off feature.

Changing it to a tick, or using a fill colour would make it obvious.

Might I add that mentioning other software that use a cross for said UI element is not validation for it as a good UI design choice. I'm trying to help this particular piece of software to not be counted among those.
How long is a piece of string?

Isn't the appearance of the checkboxes in the UI determined by the theme that is being used?

Edit: yep, it is. Would be a case of changing some .jpg files. And for the record, I agree with you (albeit a little less passionately it seems :p)

How long is the string piece?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I agree as well! If you have a sense of design, it's easy enough to fix that on your own and send in the source files!

Yeah, this would be about the cheapest way to get your name in the credits for the next release (but maybe you are in them already, I don't know Smile

Working on it. Coming up with a tick that fits the theme is quite the unexpected challenge. Undecided Can i just replace the jpg files that are in the binary distributions to see the changes, or must I build the whole game from source?

I am pretty sure that any file in a folder will replace the same file in a PK3. So extracting the theme of your choice to the approporiate folder in /data (check the path in the PK3 to your theme) should override it and you can see any changes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong Smile

As PinkRobot said, local files will override files in pk3 archives.

The luminos theme images are in /data/gfx/menu/luminos
The sourcefiles are in the mediasource git repo.

Btw, you can (and probably should) use the tga or png format with an alpha channel (lossless).
As far as I can tell, these will be split into jpg files automatically for releases.

sev is right, work in tga and the release system will generate two jpeg files.

You can also get the mediasource files from the gitweb: http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/medias...git;a=tree
But I don't see luminos sources. Uh oh?

<uncertain assertion that the next poster is expected to confirm>

@PinkRobot and @sev Thanks for the directions, though they didn't end up working as you stated, will keep trying. Anyway, here's what I've managed to cook up. A tick ain't much to work with, but hey ... tried to make it uncanny but not too much so

.png   checkbox_c0.png (Size: 3.8 KB / Downloads: 52)

You need to work in ~/.xonotic/data/gfx/menu/luminos/blah. Or My Saved Games\Xonotic\data\gfx\etc in windows.

(07-08-2012, 01:19 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You need to work in ~/.xonotic/data/gfx/menu/luminos/blah.

Thanks for that, worked. Feeling way better about my success than I probably should, though ...

(07-08-2012, 01:07 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You can also get the mediasource files from the gitweb: http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/medias...git;a=tree
But I don't see luminos sources. Uh oh?

mediasource.git/gfx/skins_luminos.zip

Oh, right!

Changed the design, first one just looked like it was to big to fit in the box and was missing a corner. Thanks for the directions guys