Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] lightmaps wont compile

Code:
--- SetupSurfaceLightmaps ---
WARNING: surface at (  2048    192    512) (  2048    240   1216) too large for desired samplesize/lightmapsize/lightmapscale combination, increased samplesize from 4 to 8
WARNING: surface at (  2048   -176    512) (  2048    240   1216) too large for desired samplesize/lightmapsize/lightmapscale combination, increased samplesize from 4 to 8
WARNING: surface at (  2048   -512    512) (  2048   -176   1216) too large for desired samplesize/lightmapsize/lightmapscale combination, increased samplesize from 4 to 8

--------------- skip about 100+ of these things ----------------

WARNING: surface at (   363    619      0) (   896    640      0) too large for desired samplesize/lightmapsize/lightmapscale combination, increased samplesize from 4 to 48
WARNING: surface at (   363    576      0) (   896    640      0) too large for desired samplesize/lightmapsize/lightmapscale combination, increased samplesize from 4 to 48
Connection closed.

and then it dies ... this is on the test compiles ...

usually I get a few of them and things work fine ... but sometimes it just crashes ....

I have avoided the issue in the past by switching to a lower quality compile ... or even undoing a bunch of work on the map... but in this case I want to actually fix the issue

I tried changing the compile line to this [q3map2] -light -fast -samplesize 64 "[MapFile]"

but it still keeps the tiny samplesize ...

The samplesize is too small or the surfaces too big or both of these factors. Could you show us a picture of your map? I bet it´s braking something. Tongue

Also which lightmapsize do you use in your compile parameters and which lightmapscale in your worldspawn/shader?

I've got big surfaces ... and little surfaces ..

specifically today I worked on the giant lower pillar

and the skybox entity with has many small things (bottom screen shot ... note that textures were downsized ... those blocks are smaller than they look)

lightmap scale is at 0.25

lightmap size is not set ...

for those

remember that -samplesize needs to go into the BSP stage too.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Ligh...ze_.3CN.3E Wrote:-samplesize <N>
Writes the prescribed samplesize argument to the .srf surface file. The .srf file (and thus -samplesize) affects the -light phase of compile. A lower -samplesize value produces more sharply defined lightmaps. The default samplesize is 16; a samplesize value of 8 produces a blurry, but good quality compile, suitable to call "final" if you aren't looking for extreme detail. A value of 4 produces a more detailed one, but small artifacts may start appearing occasionally. A samplesize value of 1 produces the most possible detailed lightmap, but also creates "stadium lights" artifacts, a much larger BSP file size and lower game performance.
Note that the .srf surface file is generated by the -bsp phase of the compile, so -samplesize must be added to the -bsp phase aswell as to the -light phase to make any effect.

you may also wish to try the -lomem switch if you suspect that you'r running out of memory.

Ah ok, hutty. "_lightmapscale 0.25" is too small for this map. Try 0.5 and if it still crashes then 1. (and then if it stiiiill crashes try 2 etc. ; just make sure the number is a power of 2!)

Also try to use "-lightmapsize 512" (or 1024 for even more awesomeness Big Grin) in your compile parameters.

ok.... im having another issue ... it appears that netradiant is not saving my customized build options ... I can change them ... but when I close and re open radaint they are reverted to default ... if I compile ... they are reverted to default ...

somehow I got it to save one option once ... but I don't kown how that happened ...

anybody know where it stores the xml file for the build options? I found the default ones ... but not the one it uses ...

before

.png   shot--a1.png (Size: 37.8 KB / Downloads: 48)

add -samplesize 64

hit ok

.png   shot--a4.png (Size: 42.07 KB / Downloads: 49)

save .. compile .. restart radaint ... anything

.png   shot--a3.png (Size: 43.19 KB / Downloads: 49)

augh !!!!

This seems to be a bug, not only for you. When I mapped on Windows XP I had this too, but now on Ubuntu 10.10 it didn´t occur anymore. It´s really strange. And yes, typing each line (even the title!) separately and close the window each time seems to help. Don´t know why though.

EDIT:

Maybe you shouldn´t try to edit the existing commands? Try to write your own compile! Maybe that´s causing the trouble.

Hello guys I have exactly the same problem as hutty had once. Where can I change samplesize and lightmapscale? What values would be good for my map (it has some large mesh surfaces). Do I change it in worldspam in the 'n'? what exactly should I type? How can I also change it inthe bsp and srf so it does not go to the default (which is samplesize 16)?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90490112/Spider...light3.map

This is the link to my .map file. I am currently trying to google the problem but I feel like I have not enough experience to remedy it by myself only Sad

with lightmapscale 4 it doesn't show warnings, but still crashes
I tried the same thing as hutty, -samplesize 64 in the compiling stats and it crashes
I will use lomem. - It says there is an error in opening lomemD in my netrafdiant folder. it stops compilating again

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant doesn't compile on Mac nokko 3 2,705 03-29-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [SOLVED] linux compile/link error BuddyFriendGuy 2 3,500 11-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [BUG] xonotic-maps ebuild does not compile ZyX 0 2,178 05-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Last Post: ZyX
  [SOLVED] Ubuntu 16.0.4 Compile RedScale12 8 6,277 09-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: RedScale12
  [SOLVED] cannot compile git code dingus 5 4,957 07-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Last Post: sev
  [SOLVED] Can't compile my map machine! 1 2,834 05-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SOLVED] Can't compile under OS X Yosemite BuddyFriendGuy 1 3,676 04-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEEDS INFO] NetRadiant fails to compile with latest nvidia driver Maddin 6 6,093 03-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  [SOLVED] Map don't compile machine! 2 3,951 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [NEEDS INFO] Map doesn't compile machine! 12 10,809 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Last Post: machine!